Word only works in "safe mode", can't use Trados. Help!
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2007

I am using Win XP with Office XP and SDL Trados WorkBench 7.1.

I was translating a document (with a very tight deadline) when Word suddenly closed down and instead of recovering the document as normal, it would only start Word in "safe mode" with no functionalities and no Trados either.

I have deinstalled and reinstalled twice, but the computer still seems to "remember" that Word did not close properly last time which suggests to me that the program was not properly rem
... See more
I am using Win XP with Office XP and SDL Trados WorkBench 7.1.

I was translating a document (with a very tight deadline) when Word suddenly closed down and instead of recovering the document as normal, it would only start Word in "safe mode" with no functionalities and no Trados either.

I have deinstalled and reinstalled twice, but the computer still seems to "remember" that Word did not close properly last time which suggests to me that the program was not properly removed?

All other Office programs seem to work fine, does this mean that Word somehow has got corrupted or is there anything else I could do?

Fingers crossed

//Anette
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:31
English to Russian
Don't panick Jan 11, 2007

Dear Anette,

I had a similar situationand spent several days trying to solve it. The problem is most likely with the user settings which Word remembers when it closes or the registry records. I managed to solve it taking the following steps:
1. Check if the easiest way works for you: make sure that valid template files of Trados (Trados 7.dot) and Multiterm (Multiterm 7.dot) are in the user settings folder responsible for startup of MS Word. The folder is to be found in your a
... See more
Dear Anette,

I had a similar situationand spent several days trying to solve it. The problem is most likely with the user settings which Word remembers when it closes or the registry records. I managed to solve it taking the following steps:
1. Check if the easiest way works for you: make sure that valid template files of Trados (Trados 7.dot) and Multiterm (Multiterm 7.dot) are in the user settings folder responsible for startup of MS Word. The folder is to be found in your application data directory C:\Documents and Settings\....\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP (where instead of the dots you will find your user name, e.g. "Anette"). The validity is established by comparing the size and the date of the files to their originals to be found in C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006_FL\TT\Templates (for Trados7. template) and in C:\Program Files\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Templates (for Multiterm template). But probably to save time just copy the origial template files into the STARTUP folder.
2. Now check trying to start MS Word. If it has not solved the problem, try next:
3. Uninstall MS Office + delete the whole of the directory C:\Documents and Settings\....\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\ + clear the registry entries related to MS Office for which use "Run"command in the Windows Explorer after entering "regedit" into the command box. This will open the Registry. Just delete any branch of the tree marked "MS Office".
4. Reinstall MS Office. Either copy manually the Trados and Multiterm template files into the STARTUP folder, or reinstall Trados and Multiterm (Multiteerm first).
In my case it solved the problem. Simply removing and reinstalling MS Office will not help as the old settings of MS Word are not deleted when you uninstall the program.

Hope it helps

Alex

[Edited at 2007-01-11 16:58]

[Edited at 2007-01-11 16:59]
Collapse

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jan 11, 2007

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Hope it helps

It did!

Thank you ever so much Alexey, you saved the day for me!
It took me some time because the problem was not in the startup folder under Documents and Settings. It was the dot file in C\:programfiles\microsoft\office\startup that was missing, once I copied it in there it worked fine!

I guess I got so confused by this "safe mode" that I didn't realise it could have some thing to do with the template, but thankfully you did.

Have a good evening! I can at last catch up on my work

//Anette

[Edited at 2007-01-11 18:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word only works in "safe mode", can't use Trados. Help!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »