Thread poster: BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

I'm working with a doc that has a table of contents (the ones you can update and include the latest changes in the document). The document looks fine in my colleague computer, but when I open it in mine, the username and the table of contents look like this:

USERNAME \* MERGEFORMAT

or

FILENAME \ p

To see them as normal text in my doc, I need to right click and toggle the fields. But that only lasts until and minimize or close the doc! Any sug
... See more
I'm working with a doc that has a table of contents (the ones you can update and include the latest changes in the document). The document looks fine in my colleague computer, but when I open it in mine, the username and the table of contents look like this:

USERNAME \* MERGEFORMAT

or

FILENAME \ p

To see them as normal text in my doc, I need to right click and toggle the fields. But that only lasts until and minimize or close the doc! Any suggestions to change this?
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:14
English to Czech
+ ...
Field codes Oct 18, 2005

Go to: Tools - Options and uncheck "Field codes" on the View tab.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:14
English to German
There's a setting in Word for that Oct 18, 2005

In MS Word, you can toggle between viewing field codes or field results. On your system, Word seems to be set to displaying codes instead of field results.

To change it, go to the following menu:
Tools/Options/View

...and make sure "Field codes" is deselected.

Good luck
Endre

BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Oct 18, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Go to: Tools - Options and uncheck "Field codes" on the View tab.

Thanks so much to both of you! I've trying to solve this for a couple of days, but I didn't seem to find the right tab!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File names and table of contents look weird in my doc

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »