Shortchut keys for symbols in Excel
Автор темы: linadia
linadia
linadia
французский => арабский
+ ...
Feb 5, 2005

Hello,

I'd like to know how to have shortcut keys for symbols that are present in the insert-Symbol menu and also for other symbols imported from a website to use in an Excel file.

Many thanks
nadia

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:35
английский => тамильский
+ ...
Памяти
I had the same problem way back in 2002 Feb 9, 2005

I had to translate an Excel file from English to French. Fortunately, for me it was fully in capitals. I took advantage of the convention that French does not require accents for texts in capitals. (In fact, I saw a manual in French on structural engineering, which comprised entirely of capital letters and not a single accent!). Then the second file was in ordinary English. My friend created a special macro, which enabled the symbols feature in the insert menu of an Excel page. However, it was n... See more
I had to translate an Excel file from English to French. Fortunately, for me it was fully in capitals. I took advantage of the convention that French does not require accents for texts in capitals. (In fact, I saw a manual in French on structural engineering, which comprised entirely of capital letters and not a single accent!). Then the second file was in ordinary English. My friend created a special macro, which enabled the symbols feature in the insert menu of an Excel page. However, it was not very helpful. The feature disabled itself.

Then I hit up on one strategy. On a single line, I typed - using the charmap - all the possible French accents in a single line, in small as well as in capital letters. And this on each page at the top. Whenever an accent is required, just copy-paste it. And delete such lines at the end of the work.

I am fortunate to have my French spell checker enabled. Nowadays I just type without caring for the accent and the spell checker corrects it. However, this is not 100% reliable.

I think it is time Microsoft thinks of a way to remedy this shortfall in non-Word documents.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

linadia
linadia
французский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
Copy and paste Feb 9, 2005

Hi Narasimhan Raghavan,

Thank you just the same.

I did that, but it was time-consuming, not like a shortcut key.

I guess I will just have to copy and paste the symbols.

Thank you again
nadia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortchut keys for symbols in Excel

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »