Thread poster: LJC (X)
LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 16:05
French to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2004

I seem to remember recently reading somewhere on the forum that it's possible to change or hide the dates and times of creation, modification and access shown in the properties of a Word document.

I've searched the forums and can't find it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction or tell me how to do it with a Word XP document, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Lesley

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
one way to do this Dec 1, 2004

You can change the date and time on your computer clock. Then open and save the document. It should read whatever date and time you changed the clock to. Then don't forget to put the clock back. Otherwise, you can edit a few properties in File - Properties - Summary (change the author etc.). Hope that helps.

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:05
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why do you want to hide these properties? Dec 1, 2004

Do you really want to hide these properties or do you just want to change them?

Before sending a translated Word file back to a customer, I often use the Save As function to give the file a new name. If I want to keep the name, I save it to a different name and then back again. That way, the properties will show revision number 1 and an editing time of only 1 minute.

HTH,
Marianne

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 1, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions David and Vixen.

The reason I don't want the original times and dates to show up is that I don't want my client to know I started this particular job three days before I had the official go-ahead.

Lesley

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
If you want to hide everything,,, Dec 1, 2004

(last printed, last edited, comments, keywords and so on, i.e. nearly all the stuff that is listed under "Properties"), you could download Doc Scrubber for free at:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

This tools not only scrubs but analyzes your Word-docs, too.

When scrubbing a document of which you don't need an "uncleaned" copy, please ma
... See more
(last printed, last edited, comments, keywords and so on, i.e. nearly all the stuff that is listed under "Properties"), you could download Doc Scrubber for free at:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

This tools not only scrubs but analyzes your Word-docs, too.

When scrubbing a document of which you don't need an "uncleaned" copy, please make sure to check "Save scrubbed file over original". You can scrub a single document, all documents in a specific folder or selected documents within a specific folder.

HTH
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doc Scrubber Dec 2, 2004

Thanks for the link to Doc Scrubber. I downloaded it and tried it out. For my purposes, Marianne's suggestion of saving the document under another name is the simplest, quickest and easiest and I don't know why I hadn't thought of it myself.

Thank you all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding the date a Word document was created or modified

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »