Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2004

Today my Outlook.pst reached 1,82 GB.
Before I have never known, that here is a limitation on the size of Outlook.pst, but now I know...
My luck was, that Outlook still openend, but refused to send mail or even to delete mails. So I had to export the folders, create a new profile, import the previous *.pst and then delete unnecessary mails.

This helped, but it is no a very good solution.

Outlook 2003 does not have this limitation, or at least the Outlook.pst
... See more
Today my Outlook.pst reached 1,82 GB.
Before I have never known, that here is a limitation on the size of Outlook.pst, but now I know...
My luck was, that Outlook still openend, but refused to send mail or even to delete mails. So I had to export the folders, create a new profile, import the previous *.pst and then delete unnecessary mails.

This helped, but it is no a very good solution.

Outlook 2003 does not have this limitation, or at least the Outlook.pst can get above 20 GB...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Which version of outlook Nov 14, 2004

Hi! Are you talking about outlook express 2000 or 2002.
Brandis

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please read the title Nov 14, 2004

I´m talking about Microsoft Outlook XP and earlier.
Not about Express, I have never stated something like that.

Regards
Jerzy

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I meant XP 2002 version Nov 14, 2004

got confused amongst somany, I have also express but using XP 2002. Now there is also an XP 2003 which one is it.
Brandis

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Swedish to English
Try backing up your mail Nov 14, 2004

I always back up my mail at the end of the month onto CD/DVD and then delete all entries up to 2 months earlier. So far, this has given me all the references I need and if I need to reference an older mail I can re-import it. You can also select to only back up the sub-directories that fill up quickly and forget the others.
It's suprising how quickly mail boxes fill up, especially if you have a lot of attached files (and don't forget the outbox! that is often forgotten).

//Nig
... See more
I always back up my mail at the end of the month onto CD/DVD and then delete all entries up to 2 months earlier. So far, this has given me all the references I need and if I need to reference an older mail I can re-import it. You can also select to only back up the sub-directories that fill up quickly and forget the others.
It's suprising how quickly mail boxes fill up, especially if you have a lot of attached files (and don't forget the outbox! that is often forgotten).

//Nigel Skipper
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I made backup Nov 14, 2004

But nevertheless, within the last three month I must have send and received bigger files, so they blowny my Outloo.pst file to above 1,9 GB, which is very critical for Outlook 97/2000/2002 (XP).
So I got the message "messaging interface has returned an unknow error" - related to this topic by MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813517/EN-US/. But the solution was not a solution for me
... See more
But nevertheless, within the last three month I must have send and received bigger files, so they blowny my Outloo.pst file to above 1,9 GB, which is very critical for Outlook 97/2000/2002 (XP).
So I got the message "messaging interface has returned an unknow error" - related to this topic by MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813517/EN-US/. But the solution was not a solution for me - I have SP3 allrady installed. So I had to look further...
Finally I found the solution - create a new account and reimport the mails. For my luck I was able to export them regardless the error message.

More information can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830336 - as one sees, Outlook 2003 is not more affected by this limitation.
Something about compacting Outlook.pst http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830336 (it made Outlook.pst approx. 1/3 of its previous size!)

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for sharing this with us Nov 14, 2004

Hi! Jerzy, thank you for the good finding and sharing this info with us. I shall shift to XP 2003
Regars,
Brandis

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Not express! Nov 14, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hi! Jerzy, thank you for the good finding and sharing this info with us. I shall shift to XP 2003
Regars,
Brandis

Jerzy is speaking about Outlook, the real Email client in Office, not the freeware "Outlook Express" a very bad product compares to The Bat, M2 (Opera), or Thunderbird.

Hi Jerzy, it is a way to delete only the attachments? cause I think there are twice in my computer, once the files that I paste into my folders and copies still remains in Outlook. It is so?
So I think the problem are only this kind of files cause a Email is just a text and to get 2 GB you need a lot of then.

Thks

Toledo

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, indeed, you have attachments at least twice on your PC Nov 14, 2004

Sometimes maybe tripple...
Outlook stores all emails in Outlook.pst, not only the received, but also the send and - if not other set - even the deleted!

First of all it is important to set Outlook to clear the "Deleted" folder on closing the program.
Then you can choose, if Outlook has to save the send mails in a special folder, or not. But if you choose to save send mail, the Outlook.pst grows and grows, so it is important to make regular backups and delete older mails.
... See more
Sometimes maybe tripple...
Outlook stores all emails in Outlook.pst, not only the received, but also the send and - if not other set - even the deleted!

First of all it is important to set Outlook to clear the "Deleted" folder on closing the program.
Then you can choose, if Outlook has to save the send mails in a special folder, or not. But if you choose to save send mail, the Outlook.pst grows and grows, so it is important to make regular backups and delete older mails.
But even that was not enough - the last what was necessary was to compact the Outlook.pst. Now I have no problems

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Try Attachment Save Nov 15, 2004

Hello,
I use a handy add-in to Outlook (2000 in my case) to limit the size of my pst folder. It automatically removes and stores received (or sent) attachments according to rules you define. This way you save space and don't reach the .pst limit. CHeck www.sperrysoftware.com.
Hope it helps,
Philippe

P.S. You may get a d
... See more
Hello,
I use a handy add-in to Outlook (2000 in my case) to limit the size of my pst folder. It automatically removes and stores received (or sent) attachments according to rules you define. This way you save space and don't reach the .pst limit. CHeck www.sperrysoftware.com.
Hope it helps,
Philippe

P.S. You may get a discount at http://www.wugnet.com/affiliates/archives/pcworld-db.asp
[Edited at 2004-11-15 12:22]

[Edited at 2004-11-15 12:23]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning for all users of MS Outlook XP and earlier - size of Outlook.pst

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »