Thread poster: sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 22:03
English to French
+ ...
Aug 29, 2004

Hi everyone,
Every time I open a Word file, this annoying box appears, offering to install automatic corrections, and I have to click No before I can start working.
Does anyone know how I can deactivate the stupid thing?
I have Windows XP Pro, Office XP, Word 2000.
Many thanks in advance.
Sarah

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 23:03
French to English
+ ...
AutoCorrect/AutoFormat options can be disabled Aug 29, 2004

Review your settings under both of these:

AutoCorrect options under Tools

AutoFormat under Format

Be sure to click OK after having selected your settings.

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:03
German to English
+ ...
Assistant in Word (Anecdote) Aug 29, 2004

Word's automatic behaviour made me think of a joke that I received a while back and wanted to share this with others:

http://www.shotokankarate.org.uk/Nikkie/wordsucks.htm

Have fun!

Sarah

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 23:03
French to English
+ ...
Word jokes: Naughty :-))))) Aug 29, 2004

I had to forward that link!

Too much...thanks

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: Assistant in Word (Anecdote) Aug 29, 2004

Do you want to keep changes? Yes/No/Maybe

But if seriously- no human can do it (At least- all of it).
I know many computer gurus, but all of them are helpless as little children, when it comes to MS applications. I'm
... See more
Do you want to keep changes? Yes/No/Maybe

But if seriously- no human can do it (At least- all of it).
I know many computer gurus, but all of them are helpless as little children, when it comes to MS applications. I'm not anything like guru myself, I regard myself as a somewhat advanced user (the only times I have needed an outside help is recovering data from HDD with broken FAT- recovering is done by rewriting the Allocation Table by hand via Linux- about which I don't know anything), but these “advanced" MS features keep popping up from time to time, however hard I'm trying to keep them down...

Uldis
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Try giving it the CD a couple of times Aug 30, 2004

Without any certainty that it will work... I used to have the same problem (but I have 2000 all the way and it works very well most of the time now).

My machine asked for a CD when I agreed to install the auto correction, and I inserted it, then followed instructions and removed it. I did this once or twice - there seemed to be a problem with Swedish (and my machine is set up in Danish and English).

Now I only occasionally get the message - in connection with files fr
... See more
Without any certainty that it will work... I used to have the same problem (but I have 2000 all the way and it works very well most of the time now).

My machine asked for a CD when I agreed to install the auto correction, and I inserted it, then followed instructions and removed it. I did this once or twice - there seemed to be a problem with Swedish (and my machine is set up in Danish and English).

Now I only occasionally get the message - in connection with files from a Dutch friend, if the computer 'thinks' she is writing in Dutch (I don't).

But my general attitude is that if you can understand MS help, then you don't need help...

Hope the problem goes away for you - best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying "help" popup in Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »