How to remove extra space(s) in the beginning of a sentence?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 13:37
English to Chinese
Aug 30, 2012

Hi! Does anyone know if there is a macro or an ahk script that will remove the extra space(s) at the start of each Chinese sentence in a Word file? I don't remember experiencing such a problem in MemoQ 5, but since I migrated to MemoQ 6, I found it doing a great job maintaining the formatting of the source text (no sarcasm intended). Unfortunately this does not work with my language pair. In character-based Chinese, you don't put a space between sentences. Trados does a good job in removing... See more
Hi! Does anyone know if there is a macro or an ahk script that will remove the extra space(s) at the start of each Chinese sentence in a Word file? I don't remember experiencing such a problem in MemoQ 5, but since I migrated to MemoQ 6, I found it doing a great job maintaining the formatting of the source text (no sarcasm intended). Unfortunately this does not work with my language pair. In character-based Chinese, you don't put a space between sentences. Trados does a good job in removing these extra spaces when it cleans up a document. Now that I don't use Trados to process my files anymore, is there a quick and easy way to remove these unnecessary spaces in Word? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

As additional info, these extra spaces are seen after a Chinese period or after a colon. They are "between" segments in MemoQ, so there is no way for me to identify and fix them in MemoQ.

Thank you.

Chun-yi
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
search and replace Aug 30, 2012

Can you not simply replace ". " by "."?

Ann Kapborg
Ann Kapborg  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search and replace with special characters Aug 30, 2012

Hi!

If the extra space is after a paragraph:

Search for: ^p (paragraph char) and space.
Replace with: ^p.

You will also have the opportunity to choose them in the Search and Replace form.

I there is a period and spaces you want to replace, you can search and replace that too.

When searching and replacing like this, always do it on a copy and make sure the criteria are unique.

Greetings,
... See more
Hi!

If the extra space is after a paragraph:

Search for: ^p (paragraph char) and space.
Replace with: ^p.

You will also have the opportunity to choose them in the Search and Replace form.

I there is a period and spaces you want to replace, you can search and replace that too.

When searching and replacing like this, always do it on a copy and make sure the criteria are unique.

Greetings,

Ann

[Edited at 2012-08-30 16:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-30 16:05 GMT]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Both suggestions didn't seem to work Aug 30, 2012

Hi David and Wrenda,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried them on my file and they didn't seem to work. What I am trying to achieve is:
Changing XXXXXX。 YYYYY: ZZZ
to
XXXXXX。YYYYY:ZZZ

Thank you for your help.

Chun-yi

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
If it was English... Aug 31, 2012

In Word, I would go to Edit/Find and Replace, check „Wildcards” checkbox and

Find:
[_]{2,}

Replace with:
_

(here ’ _’ means a space, not underscore) to replace any sequence of more than one spaces with only one.
Perhaps your Word version syntax needs a semicolon after 2, not a comma.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
a simple solution Aug 31, 2012

Marton from Kilgray tried a simple way that uses find and replace in Word and it worked!

Find (type one space here)
Replace (leave blank)

I didn't know it could be so simple.

Thank you all for your help.

Chun-yi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove extra space(s) in the beginning of a sentence?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »