Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 16:04
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 20, 2012

I have MS Word 2010 and it automatically numbers comments when they are inserted. On my wife's machine with MS Word 2002 no automatic numbering is added. Is it a matter of versions (Word 2002 can't do it) or settings (it can if I tell it I want it to)? If it is a matter of settings, what shall I do to force the automatic numbering of comments?

Antonin

Leif Henriksen
Leif Henriksen  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Should do automatic numbering Aug 20, 2012

There has not been a Word 2002. After the widespread 2000-version, there was a kind of intermediate version called Office XP, released in 2001. Then Office 2003 came in 2003.

You may want to read this article concerning comments in version up to 2000. http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/2305/2305article9.htm

It states that there is automatic numberin
... See more
There has not been a Word 2002. After the widespread 2000-version, there was a kind of intermediate version called Office XP, released in 2001. Then Office 2003 came in 2003.

You may want to read this article concerning comments in version up to 2000. http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/2305/2305article9.htm

It states that there is automatic numbering (called ID-number):

The comment reference mark is placed in the document text to identify the comment location. (If you are not seeing comment reference marks when you insert comments, click the Show/Hide button on the standard toolbar - see Figure 4). This mark consists of square brackets containing the comment "ID" number.

I am fairly sure this function has not disappeared in later versions. You may also want to consult the Help-function in the version in question for further details.

[Edited at 2012-08-20 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... Aug 21, 2012

1- "Word 2002" is often alternatively used for "Word XP". It is the last version before 2003.

2. I have carefuly read the link you suggest and all the available help in the program itself. It looks like Word should apply the automatic numbering, but there is no mention what to do if it does not do it.

Any ideas what to do?

Antonin

Leif Henriksen
Leif Henriksen  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Automatic numbering of comments in MS Word Aug 21, 2012

My ideas would probably not go beyond the obvious:

- Make a document with comments in old Word, open it in new Word and see what happens
- Reverse this - open a commented doc from new Word in old Word
(These two tasks will tell you whether the problem is in making/storing the comment, or in displaying it)

- Check the "Show all formatting marks" under options, to look for clues
- Re-read the Help items, particularly the parts about Show/Hide Comments <
... See more
My ideas would probably not go beyond the obvious:

- Make a document with comments in old Word, open it in new Word and see what happens
- Reverse this - open a commented doc from new Word in old Word
(These two tasks will tell you whether the problem is in making/storing the comment, or in displaying it)

- Check the "Show all formatting marks" under options, to look for clues
- Re-read the Help items, particularly the parts about Show/Hide Comments
- Reinstall the software
- Update/Upgrade to a supported version

You can also do quite a lot with VBA. Here is an article to give some food for thoughts:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa235931(v=office.10)

Apart from this, I am afraid I can not help you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic numbering of comments in MS Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »