Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 15, 2012

I need to create a TOC using bookmarks in Word 2010. I may not use the automatic creation of a TOC by Word's built-in function but must link to existing bookmarks in the file.
I believe the text would look blue and when clicking it the reader should be navigated to the place where the according bookmark is.
But all guides I have seen describe only how to add bookmarks and how to use the bookmark feature to navigate to them. I have assigned all bookmarks but should now create the lin
... See more
I need to create a TOC using bookmarks in Word 2010. I may not use the automatic creation of a TOC by Word's built-in function but must link to existing bookmarks in the file.
I believe the text would look blue and when clicking it the reader should be navigated to the place where the according bookmark is.
But all guides I have seen describe only how to add bookmarks and how to use the bookmark feature to navigate to them. I have assigned all bookmarks but should now create the links from the list of chapters to the bookmarks (the headers of the chapters). Anyone here who knows?
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:34
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Use cross-reference Aug 15, 2012

You have to use cross-reference. I don't have Word 2010, but in Word 2003 it's Insert -> Reference -> Cross-reference. In the "Cross-reference" dialog box, from the list "Reference type" choose "Bookmark".
If you want the link to act as hyperlink, check the checkbox "Insert as hyperlink".

HTH

Yossi

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I got it Aug 16, 2012

After assigning the bookmarks I have to select the text for the link, right-click on it and select Hyperlink...
In the opening window I select the appropriate bookmark name and click ok. That's all there is to it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linking to bookmarks in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »