Remove empty text box in Word?
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:48
German to English
Jun 22, 2012

A Word 2010 document containing text boxes has inserted an extra, empty page which I cannot delete by following the example given here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-copy-or-delete-a-text-box-HA010354856.aspx#BM3

I simply cannot seem to be able click on the border to highlight it, in order to hit de
... See more
A Word 2010 document containing text boxes has inserted an extra, empty page which I cannot delete by following the example given here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-copy-or-delete-a-text-box-HA010354856.aspx#BM3

I simply cannot seem to be able click on the border to highlight it, in order to hit delete.

Neither can I find a Page Break which I can delete when I hit "show/Hide".

I wonder if this is because the box is an extension of the box on the previous page, even though any text within it has now been deleted.

Does anyone have a by advice please?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:48
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Andrew Jun 22, 2012

2 suggestions:

1) Try opening the file in OpenOffice and re-saving as a .DOC file.

2) Try changing the page background color in Word: the color of text boxes should not change and they will become visible (otherwise change the default text box color).

Natalia

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 16:48
English to German
Extract A from A & B and voilà: B is deleted :-) Jun 23, 2012

Andy S wrote:

I simply cannot seem to be able click on the border to highlight it, in order to hit delete.

Highlight the remainder of the doc and copy it into a new, empty doc.

To make sure that all template data and such stuff is not lost, create a copy of the original doc, highlight all the content and delete it. Then use this doc as the empty doc for the above step.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:48
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou Jun 23, 2012

Thankyou, Natalia and Rolf, for your suggestions. The issue is now resolved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remove empty text box in Word?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »