Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 19, 2012

Although I'm using Wordfast Classic, I don't think the problem is with this. I'm working with a document and it appears that the column width and height is hiding the target textand I'm unable to get into the target text to amend it.
Has anyone else ever had this problem and how did you solve it?
Thanks

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:33
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, and not really... Jun 19, 2012

I've been battling with this problem quite a lot recently — in particular, when copying from an XLS, and it creates table cells that go off the edge of the page and I can't get them back!

I haven't really found a solution, just by fiddling around I can get it to work on a cell-by-cell basis; on one occasion, I actually copied the entire source cell out to a fresh document, translated it ther, then copied it back into the target segment — thus of course totally defeating the poin
... See more
I've been battling with this problem quite a lot recently — in particular, when copying from an XLS, and it creates table cells that go off the edge of the page and I can't get them back!

I haven't really found a solution, just by fiddling around I can get it to work on a cell-by-cell basis; on one occasion, I actually copied the entire source cell out to a fresh document, translated it ther, then copied it back into the target segment — thus of course totally defeating the point of using the CAT in the first place!

However, one thing you might be able to check is that in table properties, the 'fit to text' (or whatever it's called in EN) check box is checked for the entire table — this should make text wrap within the cells and make the cells grow (downwards at least) to accommodate it. This SHOULDN'T be necessary, but it does sometimes seem to affect things; I suspect in my case it may be because this attribute was not set in the original XLS cells.

Good luck!
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Table format Jun 19, 2012

Hi Susanna,

If you right click in the column, you should bring up Table Properties; then click on Columns and you'll probably find that the column width is fixed. It's usually the row height that's fixed and you can change it to "at least", but I imagine you can fiddle with the column width too.

Otherwise, changing the way you're viewing the document, i.e. print or web layout sometimes helps.

Good luck!

Claire

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:33
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Change Row Height to "At least" Jun 20, 2012

In the table right click and select Table Properties > Row Tab > Check "Specify height" > Change Row Height to "At least" > Click "Next Row" and repeat through the table.

You could write a macro to do this automatically through a whole table.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Table properties Jun 21, 2012

Thank you all and I got it sorted using table properties as suggested. Thankfully, I will know what to do if it happens again.

Goodbye from a very wet Wales

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unable to see target text due to column height

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »