Gintautas Kaminskas
Gintautas Kaminskas  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:12
Member (2005)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

My "Microsoft Word" software (2010) was OK for a couple of years but now I have problems with the "cut & paste" function. (It pastes without format only; it doesn't let you choose the various options of how much format to carry over.) I have re-installed it but that doesn't help. I have also tried to change the "cut & paste" options but the "Microsoft Word" software quickly reverts to the formatless default. Surely I don't have to buy a new "Microsoft office" software pack already? I haven't t... See more
My "Microsoft Word" software (2010) was OK for a couple of years but now I have problems with the "cut & paste" function. (It pastes without format only; it doesn't let you choose the various options of how much format to carry over.) I have re-installed it but that doesn't help. I have also tried to change the "cut & paste" options but the "Microsoft Word" software quickly reverts to the formatless default. Surely I don't have to buy a new "Microsoft office" software pack already? I haven't thought about this before: is there a guarantee on software for a certain time period when you purchase it?Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:12
French to English
Did you try... Jun 12, 2012

deleting normal.dot?

Gintautas Kaminskas
Australia
Member (2005)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting idea, worth a try. Jun 12, 2012

Interesting idea, worth a try. Where would I find "normal.dot?"? That's my default template for MS Word documents, right? What happens in regard to creating new documents after deleting normal.dot is deleted?

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:12
French to English
never tried it Jun 12, 2012

It will automatically regenerate itself after deleting it, according to advice read in these forums and others... I have never had to do this myself, but it may be worth a try.

christela (X)
christela (X)
Try other options Jun 12, 2012

There are several options to paste something, you can paste without format or with formatting, try them all to see which one works best. Use the task bar for this, not your mouse or your keyboard. For instance, in Powerpoint you always have to paste with formatting.

Di Penney
Di Penney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
French to English
Problem related to Skype 'click to call' Jun 12, 2012

Found this on a Word 2010 forum
http://www.microsoftoffice2010forums.com/microsoft-word-2010/lost-my-paste-options
apparently it's got something to do with Skype 'click to call'. Maybe this could be relevant.

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:12
German to English
+ ...
Copy & past issue Jun 12, 2012

I have struggled with the same issue for the past several weeks and tried all sorts of options after first verifying that my settings were correct. Yesterday I launched an all-out effort to try and find a solution and after following a few other suggestions to no avail (each time running a test to see if it resolved my issue), I came across a posting that suggested making sure that Google Chrome was not running since it could interfer with maintaining the source formatting. So I exited Google Ch... See more
I have struggled with the same issue for the past several weeks and tried all sorts of options after first verifying that my settings were correct. Yesterday I launched an all-out effort to try and find a solution and after following a few other suggestions to no avail (each time running a test to see if it resolved my issue), I came across a posting that suggested making sure that Google Chrome was not running since it could interfer with maintaining the source formatting. So I exited Google Chrome and what do you know - the copy & paste function was magically restored!

Let me know if that works for you as well!

[Edited at 2012-06-12 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Gintautas Kaminskas
Australia
Member (2005)
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Gisela Jun 12, 2012

Your solution seems to be working so far. (But I also uninstalled the Skype thing others were talking about.) Thanks to all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with "cut & paste" function in "Microsoft Word" software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »