Chinese input XP/Office 2003 vs Vista/Office 2007
Thread poster: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:09
English to German
+ ...
May 29, 2012

I use Windows XP + Office 2003 on one machine and Windows Vista + Office 2007 on another.

While in the first combination. XP/2003, I have the language bar visible on top of Word with options for different languages, including De as main language and optional Chinese and several others, I cannot find any way to configure this in the other combination, Vista/2007.

I can choose the languages in the panel control of Vista. but do not find a way to make the input methods acc
... See more
I use Windows XP + Office 2003 on one machine and Windows Vista + Office 2007 on another.

While in the first combination. XP/2003, I have the language bar visible on top of Word with options for different languages, including De as main language and optional Chinese and several others, I cannot find any way to configure this in the other combination, Vista/2007.

I can choose the languages in the panel control of Vista. but do not find a way to make the input methods accessible in Word 2007. Looking into Help of either, Vista and Word 2007 leads in either case into an impasse. The Help of Word 2007 has in the Register a point "Working with other languages" - but clicking on this gives the message "no page available", now, almost five years after the launch of Office 2007. The explanations in Vista are unclear and contradictory and leading nowhere. There is much talk abaout Language Packs and Language Interfaces but there is not even a way to get hold of these.

Googling the matter, Chinese input in Office 2007, also does not give much results, and none of them proved useful. What I did get was the Google method of typing China chars with pinyin. That is quite interesting. But I am not quite versed in using this either.

Who knows how to get the Chinese input implemented in that Vista/Office 2007 combination?

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:09
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
follow-up - May 29, 2012

There has been a short improvement in the meantime. I had right-clicked on task bar and enabled "tablet PC input". Whether because of this or for any other lucky click the language bar became visible in the upper right corner of the screen. But after shutting down and rebooting it is not visible again.

But at least it is latently available now. I only need some hint on how to display that language bar permanently.

Roland Nienerza

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese input XP/Office 2003 vs Vista/Office 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »