Thread poster: Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:12
French to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2011

Does anybody know if there is a significant diffrence between these applications? I sometimes get trouble using MsOffice 2003 when my clients are using a later version and was thinking if I should upgrade. But which one should I choose? Are both working fine as well with Trados 7 and Studio 2009? I am now using Trados 7 but maybe will upgrade my Trados one day, too.
Thanks in advance!

Theodoros Kalyvas
Theodoros Kalyvas  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Differences between Word 2003 and Word 2007/2010 Mar 1, 2011

Hi Katerina,

The most significant difference is that from Office 2003 onwards, Microsoft introduced the XML file format. For more information, please check:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_Microsoft_Office_2003_and_Microsoft_Office_2007

There are a few other minor differ
... See more
Hi Katerina,

The most significant difference is that from Office 2003 onwards, Microsoft introduced the XML file format. For more information, please check:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_Microsoft_Office_2003_and_Microsoft_Office_2007

There are a few other minor differences, but they might not justify the cost of upgrading. I assume from your e-mail that you already have the compatibility pack, since you mention that your clients use later versions, but just in case you don't, it can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

I hope this helps.

Theo
Collapse

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with Excel Mar 1, 2011

Theodoros Kalyvas wrote:

Hi Katerina,

There are a few other minor differences, but they might not justify the cost of upgrading. I assume from your e-mail that you already have the compatibility pack, since you mention that your clients use later versions, but just in case you don't, it can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

I hope this helps.

Theo

Thanks, Theo. Yes, I do have a compatibility pack but was just experiencing big problems when translating an Excel-file yesterday, it was working very slowly and took me hours to translate a small text. I don't know why it was as I don't recall having problems with doc-files at least. The version I was working on was done using Office 2007. (And I forgot to mention also that I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.)

Morten Rindsig
Morten Rindsig  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:12
English to Danish
+ ...
2010 vs. 2007 Mar 1, 2011

Hi Katerina,

I have used both Office 2007 and 2010, and there is one significant improvement in 2010 in my opinion. When you make a search in Word 2010 all results are shown in a left pane (just like Acrobat Reader used to do) making it very easy to view all occurrencies of a specific string immediately.

Besides that the differences between 2007 and 2010 are minor. Microsoft will probably say something else, but anyway...
See more
Hi Katerina,

I have used both Office 2007 and 2010, and there is one significant improvement in 2010 in my opinion. When you make a search in Word 2010 all results are shown in a left pane (just like Acrobat Reader used to do) making it very easy to view all occurrencies of a specific string immediately.

Besides that the differences between 2007 and 2010 are minor. Microsoft will probably say something else, but anyway

Best regards
Morten
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
English to French
+ ...
Trados 7 not compatible with MS Office 2007 and above Mar 1, 2011

Before you upgrade, consider the compatibility of your Trados version.

See this forum post (one of the many) for more details.

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Mar 1, 2011

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Before you upgrade, consider the compatibility of your Trados version.

See this forum post (one of the many) for more details.

That is good to know, thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MsOffice 2007/2010

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »