Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:12
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

Dear colleagues,

Probably not many of us have started to use the new Office 2010 yet but I still would like to try and see if anybody has had the problem I am experiencing and found a solution.

I have a brand new i5 core Windows 7 laptop. It came preinstalled with Office 2007 but the store sold me activation key card for 1 installation for Office 2010 (they had not got around to installing the 2010 on all their machines yet). I downloaded Office 2010 backup installatio
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Probably not many of us have started to use the new Office 2010 yet but I still would like to try and see if anybody has had the problem I am experiencing and found a solution.

I have a brand new i5 core Windows 7 laptop. It came preinstalled with Office 2007 but the store sold me activation key card for 1 installation for Office 2010 (they had not got around to installing the 2010 on all their machines yet). I downloaded Office 2010 backup installation from the Microsoft site and discovered to my dismay that spell check supports only English and Spanish as this was intended for the UK market, whereas I work with Latvian texts.

Having read the help files for a while I figures out I needed to buy the Language pack for the Latvian language support. I bought and installed it and ... the spell check still did not work. I specifically wrote down a word which was wrong in Latvian and the spell check told me it was fine. In English it words though.

I contacted Microsoft support, they connected to my laptop, poked around my laptop via remote access and came up with nothing. I uninstalled the language pack and installed it again and still the same problem persisted.

The Microsoft support guy promised to read some help files and call me today but I am not really very hopeful that he will.

In the meantime I am saving all my work on a hard drive, taking it to my husband's laptop (very slow and basic) to run a spell check on these files.

Does anybody have any inkling as to what the problem could be linked to and how to fix this? I cannot uninstall the Office because it was only supplied with one installation and I have used that one up.

Initially I was going to use my old Office 2003 but I was told at the store that it would not run on Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ines
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Discard Microsoft, use OOo Jun 17, 2010

OpenOffice.org is free software, it (the latest stable version 3.2.1) runs nicely under Windows 7. You can easily engage Latvian spell check extension that is also free software.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it work with Trados etc? Jun 17, 2010

I would love to change to this one but does it work with Trados? And would my clients be able to use it?

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I don’t use Trados Jun 17, 2010

Burrell wrote:

I would love to change to this one but does it work with Trados?

AFAIK, Trados TagEditor is said to support ODF (OpenDocument Format being the default format for OOo), but can’t confirm.

And would my clients be able to use it?

Absolutely. OpenOffice.org is free software, available for various platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, thus everyone is able to use it. Just download and install.

[Edited at 2010-06-17 11:37 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:12
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, and no Jun 17, 2010

If you are talking about Trados macros in Word, then the answer is "No": they will not run in OpenOffice, since OO does not support VBA.

If you are talking about translating OO documents in TagEditor 2007 or in Studio, then the answer is "Yes".

Howerver, there are sometimes compatibility issues between OO and Word, despite all the claims about 100% Word compatibility (Good Lord, not even Word is 100% Word-compatible!).

AFAIK, the only CAT tool that works di
... See more
If you are talking about Trados macros in Word, then the answer is "No": they will not run in OpenOffice, since OO does not support VBA.

If you are talking about translating OO documents in TagEditor 2007 or in Studio, then the answer is "Yes".

Howerver, there are sometimes compatibility issues between OO and Word, despite all the claims about 100% Word compatibility (Good Lord, not even Word is 100% Word-compatible!).

AFAIK, the only CAT tool that works directly in OO is Anaphraseus.
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not precisely correct Jun 17, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

a) no one claims that OOo is 100% compatible with MSO, the degree of compatibility is, however, enough for most of the cases of properly formatted documents without any complex embedded objects;
b) incompatibilities between, say, MSO 2003 and MSO 2007 (don’t know about 2010) also exist and are quite serious sometimes.

And yes, Workbench won’t work for OOo.

[Edited at 2010-06-17 11:43 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a little ellipse Jun 17, 2010

Hi "esperantisto",
that was just an ellipse; don't take that too seriously.

One question worth-considering though: I've heard that Word 2010 will no longer support VBA. If that is true, Workbench won't run with Word 2010 either. But I can't confirm.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, Jun 17, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi "esperantisto",
that was just an ellipse; don't take that too seriously.

I deem it not an eclipse but incorrect or false information, which is counterproductive for the asker that is seeking for solution of her problem. As for me, I don’t give a dime, because I know the score.

I've heard that Word 2010 will no longer support VBA.

This was the initial intention, it was even communicated in the MS site. However, Billy managed to understand, they were going to fuck up one more time (after the flop of Vista, they seem to be a little bit soberer) and even are to restore VBA in MSO for Mac.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
great job... Jun 17, 2010

hijacking the thread...

to the poster: you have to wait for the localized version/the language pack of Office 2010, it will be available this fall, I guess, your local Microsoft office can provide more info about that.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm Jun 17, 2010

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:

hijacking the thread...

to the poster: you have to wait for the localized version/the language pack of Office 2010, it will be available this fall, I guess, your local Microsoft office can provide more info about that.

Thanks Zoltan for getting back to the subject. Although I cannot say I like your answer - what on earth am I supposed to do in the meantime? Keep returning Trados licence every time I need to run a spell check on a different machine? Microsoft is just amazing...

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
you said Jun 17, 2010

you had Office 2007 preinstalled... Reinstall that:)

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have the activation key for 2007 Jun 17, 2010

They only gave me the key to 2010. The store had not got around to installing the 2010 but they should have done that. I know that if you buy 2007 till the end of September you get a free upgrade to 2010, but I do not think it works the other way round.

I will try bullying Microsoft, of course, and I am a great bully when I have to be, but I somehow do not think they will really be bothered one way or another. If that fails, I will seriously get on the nerves of those poor people w
... See more
They only gave me the key to 2010. The store had not got around to installing the 2010 but they should have done that. I know that if you buy 2007 till the end of September you get a free upgrade to 2010, but I do not think it works the other way round.

I will try bullying Microsoft, of course, and I am a great bully when I have to be, but I somehow do not think they will really be bothered one way or another. If that fails, I will seriously get on the nerves of those poor people who sold me the laptop with the software. But all that takes time and I am kind of sinking unter the pile jobs here. I already spent almost a month without my laptop while the technical support tried repairing it and now that I have got the replacement I still cannot use it! Sorry, having a great big moan here...
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Good luck! Jun 17, 2010

Burrell wrote:

I will try bullying Microsoft, of course,

The US Government and the European Commission did not succeed much in bullying MS, but, well, maybe we need one more little brave hero here like this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/01/19/linux_user_wins_refund/ (the bad thing in your case is that you have accepted the license by installing the activation key to the program).

If that fails, I will seriously get on the nerves of those poor people who sold me the laptop with the software.

Again, you’ve accepted the license.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sort of Jun 17, 2010

Yes, I have sort of accepted the licence but the software they sold me is not fully functional. I might not get very far with Microsoft, but Curry's are not going to be that lucky. I just wish none of this was necessary.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No ‘sort of’ Jun 17, 2010

Burrell wrote:

Yes, I have sort of accepted the licence but the software they sold me is not fully functional.

You have accepted the license. Period. You claim, it’s not ‘fully functional’, but it is. Nobody promised you that MSO 2010 will check spelling in Latvian, or did they? Read carefully the license that you have accepted. It will say something that no suitability for particular purpose is guaranteed. If the guys from Curry’s will decide to stand a court trial, they have all chances to win. Welcome to the world of proprietary software made by greedy capitalists.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check not working in Office 2010

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »