Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 16:34
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Apr 20, 2010

Hi Everybody,

I hope my question doesn't sound as silly, but I have a serious problem that is about to turn me blind pretty soon!

I'm running Vista Home and used to work on Office 2003 until a couple of months ago. Since I moved to 2007, I started having a really annoying trouble with my cursor in Word. When it's in the arrow shape, it's there and I can see it, but when it's over the writing space turning into the typing cursor (I) ... it just takes me forever to locate
... See more
Hi Everybody,

I hope my question doesn't sound as silly, but I have a serious problem that is about to turn me blind pretty soon!

I'm running Vista Home and used to work on Office 2003 until a couple of months ago. Since I moved to 2007, I started having a really annoying trouble with my cursor in Word. When it's in the arrow shape, it's there and I can see it, but when it's over the writing space turning into the typing cursor (I) ... it just takes me forever to locate it!

It is visible, but it's too light to be noticed over the white space. You know how typing is, sometimes you need to move it around every other segment or word even when you're dealing with a text that seriously needs the use of a dictionary. I'm not so skilled with shortcuts, and the long "shift" click to locate the mouse consumes time in this case.

I still can't familiarize myself with 2007 Word with all the new menus, so I couldn't really find an option to change that despite my several look-arounds.

So, anyway to make this (I) larger or darker? Any way to make it easier to spot instead of spending time roaming with my mouse over and over until I spot it moving here or there?

It's getting on my nerves!

Thanks for your help in advance
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 15:34
German
+ ...
Control Panel Apr 20, 2010

I don't know exactly how it works in Vista, but try locating the "Mouse" settings in the Windows Control Panel. There should be a tab called "Pointer" or similar in that dialog where you can assign various icons to the different pointer states.

On my Windows XP system I find that the "beam_i.cur" icon is much more visible than the default vertical bar pointer. There are other ones, too, so just play around with this a little until you find the perfect one to suit your needs.
... See more
I don't know exactly how it works in Vista, but try locating the "Mouse" settings in the Windows Control Panel. There should be a tab called "Pointer" or similar in that dialog where you can assign various icons to the different pointer states.

On my Windows XP system I find that the "beam_i.cur" icon is much more visible than the default vertical bar pointer. There are other ones, too, so just play around with this a little until you find the perfect one to suit your needs.

HTH,

Benjamin
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Italian to English
+ ...
You can find the mouse by pressing [Ctrl] Apr 20, 2010

If you go to "Control panel" -> "Mouse" and then select the "Pointer options" tab, there is an option to have the OS find the pointer for you when you press the [Ctrl] key.

Once you've set this, if you can't find the cursor, pressing the [Ctrl] key will flash up decreasing concentric circles around the cursor location.

HTH

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Accessibility Apr 20, 2010

I dn't know aout Vista, but under XP, there are various settings under 'Accessibility' too which help improve cursor contrast / visibility.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Classic Menus Apr 20, 2010

I also found Word 2007 and other Microsoft Office 2007 software difficult to work with,
but I bought "Classic Menus" - see http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/ - which I find helpful. Cost US$29.95, but you can download a free trial version.
However, I still prefer to work on a file in Word 2000 on my desktop (Windows XP), transfer it on a flash drive to my laptop (Vist
... See more
I also found Word 2007 and other Microsoft Office 2007 software difficult to work with,
but I bought "Classic Menus" - see http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/ - which I find helpful. Cost US$29.95, but you can download a free trial version.
However, I still prefer to work on a file in Word 2000 on my desktop (Windows XP), transfer it on a flash drive to my laptop (Vista & MS Office 2007) and convert the file in Windows 2007 from .doc to docx.

As for the mouse cursor, in Vista it is Control Panel>Mouse> Pointer tab, & select your cursor. I use the "3D Bronze" one.

[Edited at 2010-04-20 11:12 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
simplify Apr 20, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:
However, I still prefer to work on a file in Word 2000 on my desktop (Windows XP), transfer it on a flash drive to my laptop (Vista & MS Office 2007) and convert the file in Windows 2007 from .doc to docx.

If you install the FileFormatConverters from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en you can directly open/save docx in older MS Word versions.

HTH
Antonin

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you, Antonín! Apr 20, 2010

I downloaded that some time ago but had forgotten about it. I did a document yesterday by the procedure I described, but I now see that I could have saved the file as docx. in my Word 2000.

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 16:34
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Everybody :) Apr 21, 2010

Thank you all for your tips

Benjamin, I did try that but couldn't find it on Vista. Will try again and see what I'll end up with

Alexander, thanks for your tip but this is time consuming considering the number of times I use my pointer around a word file. Not to mention that on my side it it fades out and then the cursor disappears again... See more
Thank you all for your tips

Benjamin, I did try that but couldn't find it on Vista. Will try again and see what I'll end up with

Alexander, thanks for your tip but this is time consuming considering the number of times I use my pointer around a word file. Not to mention that on my side it it fades out and then the cursor disappears again

Tony, I tried it and it didn't apply to the transparency of my cursor, but the tip was great for some other elements on my screen; Thanks!

Jack ... thank you! this is a great tool. And I'll try your suggested 3D Bronze too

Antonin, the problem is that it doesn't always work with complex formats of documents (and I have plenty of clients with those). Something gets affected sooner or later, and it caused me several troubles until I got the 2007 to have both versions on two computers. I avoid 2007 to my best, but it isn't always possible :S

Thanks a lot everybody for you help and suggestions, really appreciate it

[Edited at 2010-04-21 16:34 GMT]
Collapse

Solution for making thin cursor darker and visible Sep 11, 2012

Solution for making thin cursor darker and visible

Please go to - Control Panel > Mouse Properties > Pointers > Text Select > Browse >

You can select any darker "Beam" or any other and click Apply / OK.

Rightinformer.com

[Edited at 2012-09-11 16:39 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
The right mouse button is your friend Sep 11, 2012

Dina Abdo wrote:

Just right-click on an empty area on the desktop, then choose "Adapt", "Configure" or whatever it is named in an English Windows.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make my cursor visible?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »