Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 6, 2009

I have compiled a very comprehensive Excel sheet showing entries in alphabetical order of throughout 1 single line, mostly short lines, only some longer.
When printing it out, the right half of the sheet is almost blank white with few exceptions.
I intend narrowing the column by half using the automatic wordwrapping facility offered by Excel.
However, when doing so, any second line starts at the very left edge, spoiling the alphabetical order of entries.
Therefore, I want
... See more
I have compiled a very comprehensive Excel sheet showing entries in alphabetical order of throughout 1 single line, mostly short lines, only some longer.
When printing it out, the right half of the sheet is almost blank white with few exceptions.
I intend narrowing the column by half using the automatic wordwrapping facility offered by Excel.
However, when doing so, any second line starts at the very left edge, spoiling the alphabetical order of entries.
Therefore, I want the second line to be indented.
Is this possible in Excel?
Any help will be welcome.
Thank you
Klaus
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Paste into a text editor Oct 6, 2009

The spreadsheet in OpenOffice, which is more or less an Excel clone, can't do this.

Alternatives:

1) Make a table in Word or some other text editor, paste the table text and format it as you like, including paragraph- and first-line indents.

2) If this is single-column, as it appears to be, you can skip the table altogether and just paste the text into a text editor, left-indent the paragraph and "outdent" the first line by a negative value using the ruler
... See more
The spreadsheet in OpenOffice, which is more or less an Excel clone, can't do this.

Alternatives:

1) Make a table in Word or some other text editor, paste the table text and format it as you like, including paragraph- and first-line indents.

2) If this is single-column, as it appears to be, you can skip the table altogether and just paste the text into a text editor, left-indent the paragraph and "outdent" the first line by a negative value using the ruler.
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How many lines are involved? Oct 6, 2009

If the number of "long" lines is relatively low, then you can possibly proceed manually: inserting line breaks (Alt+Enter) followed by a space would do the trick (even though it is quite a quick-and-dirty solution).
Using the LEN worksheet function, you can automatically flag cells that contain more than a certain number of characters – you have to give the value in the square brackets to the cell B1: [=IF(LEN(A1)>60);"TOO LONG";""] , and then copy it to all other cells; Instead of "60"
... See more
If the number of "long" lines is relatively low, then you can possibly proceed manually: inserting line breaks (Alt+Enter) followed by a space would do the trick (even though it is quite a quick-and-dirty solution).
Using the LEN worksheet function, you can automatically flag cells that contain more than a certain number of characters – you have to give the value in the square brackets to the cell B1: [=IF(LEN(A1)>60);"TOO LONG";""] , and then copy it to all other cells; Instead of "60" use the appropriate number.

If printing from Excel is not a requirement (e.g., Word or other programs can also be involved) then there are a multitude of solutions.

Attila
Collapse

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Joakim Oct 6, 2009

Thank you for your advice. Option 2 works well. Great!
Klaus

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Attila Oct 6, 2009

Thank you for your advice. I think, Joakim´s advice will do.
Best regards
Klaus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting an Excel sheet

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »