Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 07:09
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 16, 2008

Some time ago, I installed a trial version of Adobe Acrobat 9 (since uninstalled)

However, it has left me with 2 unwanted menu headers in the menu bar: Adobe PDF and Acrobat Comments.

Normally, this wouldn't matter too much; but unfortunately, when they arrived, they seem to have removed my Wordfast Help menu — which does matter! I am going to post this same question in the W/F forum, but I wanted to ask here if anyone knows how to at least get rid of the unwan
... See more
Some time ago, I installed a trial version of Adobe Acrobat 9 (since uninstalled)

However, it has left me with 2 unwanted menu headers in the menu bar: Adobe PDF and Acrobat Comments.

Normally, this wouldn't matter too much; but unfortunately, when they arrived, they seem to have removed my Wordfast Help menu — which does matter! I am going to post this same question in the W/F forum, but I wanted to ask here if anyone knows how to at least get rid of the unwanted Acrobat menus?

Thanks, in advance!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need Acrobat installed for that... Dec 16, 2008

As you have to modify the settings of Acrobat installation via Control panel / Software (or Add/Remove programs, I don't know the exact English name).
When modifying the settings you would have needed to deselect all Adobe PDF makers.

But now I don't know how. Look at Adobes homepage.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:09
French to English
+ ...
Customized installation Dec 16, 2008

I don't have any experience with Acrobat and Word, but I do know that I had the same problem with Abbyy when I first installed it and blythely let it install itself, only to find that it had hijacked various Wordfast commands and made Wordfast impossible to use. The solution was to deinstall it, then install it again but using the customized installation option, where you are given the option to have it linked to Word menus. There's no reason (that I can see) to have it linked to Word, so you ca... See more
I don't have any experience with Acrobat and Word, but I do know that I had the same problem with Abbyy when I first installed it and blythely let it install itself, only to find that it had hijacked various Wordfast commands and made Wordfast impossible to use. The solution was to deinstall it, then install it again but using the customized installation option, where you are given the option to have it linked to Word menus. There's no reason (that I can see) to have it linked to Word, so you can deselect that and thus avoid the havoc. Perhaps if you reinstalled Acrobat using the customized option, you might be able to deselect these links, or, if not, at least modify the settings from within Acrobat as Jerzy suggests and then deinstall it al again later.

HTH

Claire
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:09
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Rename normal.dot Dec 16, 2008

Maybe following this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895507
will help. It usually does
And you may have to reinstall Wordfast after that, so it adds its menu to Word once again.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:09
English to Thai
+ ...
Word add-ins of template files Dec 16, 2008

bsb_2 wrote:
And you may have to reinstall Wordfast after that, so it adds its menu to Word once again.

You can delete normal.dot file. MS Word will recreate it automatically.
For Worfast, seek wordfast.dot file and add-in through Word > Tools> Options menu. In this way you need not reinstall Wordfast.
[In fact, installing Wordfast 3.xx -- 5.xx to Word is just add the Wordfast.dot template. Wordfast 6.0 is another matter, though.]

Soonthon L.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unfortunately Acrobat does not install in templates Dec 16, 2008

so removing/renaming templates will most probably not help.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:09
English to Spanish
How to find & get rid of PDFMaker.dot Dec 16, 2008

Mine can be found here:

C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP Just delete it (and wait to see if Word has got rid of it).

I work under Office 2003, but it's almost the same stuff.

Hope it works!

Boyan Brezinsky
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It is possible to reset the menus and toolbars by hand Dec 16, 2008

I checked the help of MS Office 2003. It describes a way to reset toolbars and menus. It is somewhat convoluted (although by no means difficult) and I can't reproduce it clearly enough here, and I don't have the software on my machine to copy the text from the help. I suppose it is pretty much the same in Office XP, so it should be in the help somewhere.
Not sure if removing the Acrobat leftovers from the menu in this way will bring up Wordfast entries though.

[Edited at 2008-12-16
... See more
I checked the help of MS Office 2003. It describes a way to reset toolbars and menus. It is somewhat convoluted (although by no means difficult) and I can't reproduce it clearly enough here, and I don't have the software on my machine to copy the text from the help. I suppose it is pretty much the same in Office XP, so it should be in the help somewhere.
Not sure if removing the Acrobat leftovers from the menu in this way will bring up Wordfast entries though.

[Edited at 2008-12-16 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Can't re-install Acrobat Dec 16, 2008

The fundamental problem is that my free trial period of using Acrobat has expired, so I don't have the option to re-install it! I suppose it was naïve of me to have assumed that when I uninstalled the software, it would have cleaned up after itself... I guess I ought to have known better!

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
As for finding .DOT files... Dec 16, 2008

I'm probably being very dense, but I am not a computer geek, just someone who's moved up from a manual typewriter...

I have done a file search, but can't locate any PDFmaker.dot file (though I never have much faith in Windows 'file search' utility)

I am extremely reluctant to delete my Normal.dot file (even supposing I could find the darned thing!), as I have literally dozens of personalized settings which it would take me days to recreate.

Is there no way
... See more
I'm probably being very dense, but I am not a computer geek, just someone who's moved up from a manual typewriter...

I have done a file search, but can't locate any PDFmaker.dot file (though I never have much faith in Windows 'file search' utility)

I am extremely reluctant to delete my Normal.dot file (even supposing I could find the darned thing!), as I have literally dozens of personalized settings which it would take me days to recreate.

Is there no way of inspecting and editing the normal.dot file? If life were simple, I'd have expected to find some Adobe command lines that I could simply delete... (sigh...)

I have tried looking in Word ('not much') Help, but that only tells me how to mess around with menus on toolbars themselves, but is stunningly silent about editing in any way the actual 'menu bar', which is of course one level higher in the hierarchy.

Thanks, anyway, to everyone for your help so far — no doubt I'll get to the bottom of this in the end... in the meantime, Wordfast is of limited use to me, without the really helpful aide-memoire for the keyboard shortcuts (it just takes far too long to look them up each time in the manual!)

[Edited at 2008-12-16 23:42 GMT]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
shortcut list Dec 16, 2008

Tony M wrote:

Thanks, anyway, to everyone for your help so far — no doubt i'll get to the bottom of this in the end... in the meantime, Wordfast is of limited use to me, without the really helpful aide-memoire for the keyboard shortcuts (it just takes far too long to look them up each time in the manual!)

No idea about the menus, but if you need a cheatsheet for the shortcuts, try downloading the WF_and_Word_shortcuts file from the files section of the yahoo tech group (near the bottom of the list)

Boyan Brezinsky
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
some more advice Dec 16, 2008

Tony M wrote:

I have done a file search, but can't locate and PDFmaker.dot file (though I never have much faith in Windows 'file search' utility)
Either it is simply not there, or you should turn on searching for hidden files and folders. It is somewhere under 'Advanced options' in the Search dialog, I don't recall the exact wording of the setting.

I have tried looking in Word ('not much') Help, but that only tells me how to mess around with menus on toolbars themselves, but is stunningly silent about editing in any way the actual 'menu bar', which is of course one level higher in the hierarchy.
First, make a backup of normal.dot, since you have customizations. Search for it with the above mentioned setting for looking for hidden files and folders turned on. Do that with Word not running. Then, in Word, right click on an empty area in a toolbar and select 'Customize...' from the context menu. Click on the 'Toolbars' tab in the dialog, select 'Menu bar' or something like that from the list and see what happens when you click the 'Reset' button. If this doesn't get rid of the Acrobat entries, with this dialog still open, right-click on the respective entries from the menu and select 'Delete'. Of course, you can do it the other way around.

Still, removing Acrobat remnants from the menu won't necessary help with Wordfast.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Eureka! Dec 16, 2008

Thanks to all contributors to this thread, and most immediately, to BSB for your latest tips.

Yes, resetting the menu bar did the trick and got rid of the 2 spurious Acrobat menus, without resorting to wrecking my normal.dot file. I had not looked closely enough before at that option under View to see that even the menu abr could be reset — and as usual with Help files, if you don't already know what soemthing is called, you can't search for it! Though I had already searche
... See more
Thanks to all contributors to this thread, and most immediately, to BSB for your latest tips.

Yes, resetting the menu bar did the trick and got rid of the 2 spurious Acrobat menus, without resorting to wrecking my normal.dot file. I had not looked closely enough before at that option under View to see that even the menu abr could be reset — and as usual with Help files, if you don't already know what soemthing is called, you can't search for it! Though I had already searched for 'menu bar' (well, in French, actually), but it didn't return any relevant results.

Anyway, that hasn't brought back my Wordfast menu, but at least it has got rid of the unnecessary ones, which is a good start.

Re-installing Wordfast doesn't so far seem to have done the trick, but I shall try again in the morning when my brain has had a bit of a rest!

Again, thanks to yourself, BSB, and all the other contributors.

Oh, and thanks too, Lori, for that tip — I already have one 'cheat sheet', but it's not the complete list, and so misses out a few of the commands I use most often. I'll go and download that right now!

[Edited at 2008-12-16 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing unwanted Acrobat menus from Word 2002

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »