What's the best way to backup MS-Office's macros?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:23
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2008

For the nth time this year, I managed to lose all my macros and my macros toolbars from Word 2003.

I'm not an advanced user by any means, so when I add a new macros I either record it or use Visual Basic, and let Word decide where to save it. So some of them are saved in the Normal template and some aren't or disappear from it. I also tried to copy all the macros from Normal > Modules to the Notepad and then paste it when they disappear, but the macros in the Normal template aren't
... See more
For the nth time this year, I managed to lose all my macros and my macros toolbars from Word 2003.

I'm not an advanced user by any means, so when I add a new macros I either record it or use Visual Basic, and let Word decide where to save it. So some of them are saved in the Normal template and some aren't or disappear from it. I also tried to copy all the macros from Normal > Modules to the Notepad and then paste it when they disappear, but the macros in the Normal template aren't the only ones I have.

Is there a better way? Or a tool that can manage Office 2003 Macros? Thanks.

Claudia

PS. Office sucks!
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:23
English to Polish
+ ...
Backup your normal.dot or export them to *.bas file Nov 26, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I'm not an advanced user by any means, so when I add a new macros I either record it or use Visual Basic, and let Word decide where to save it. So some of them are saved in the Normal template and some aren't or disappear from it. I also tried to copy all the macros from Normal > Modules to the Notepad and then paste it when they disappear, but the macros in the Normal template aren't the only ones I have.

Is there a better way? Or a tool that can manage Office 2003 Macros? Thanks.

Claudia

PS. Office sucks!

Hi Claudia,

You may have somehow stored some of them or recorded some of them in your current document instead of the Normal template. If you go to the VBA editor (Alt+F11), you will see several projects in the top left corner. Each project corresponds to an open document or a loaded template.

If there are macros in the project, it has an item called Module1 or similar. You can export macros from a module to a *bas file or import a *.bas file with VBA macros into it.

Hope this helps.

Piotr

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 01:23
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Saving VBA code Nov 26, 2008

You can decide where your macros will be saved. When you create them, choose the module where you want them (Perhaps keeping them in NewMacros module under Normal.dot is OK for you? It depends on how many macros you have and what system you want to adopt for them). I keep them all in different modules in Normal dot and back up the Normal.dot about once a month. I find this way the easiest.

Alternatively, all your macros are in modules. When you open the VBA editor, right-click a mo
... See more
You can decide where your macros will be saved. When you create them, choose the module where you want them (Perhaps keeping them in NewMacros module under Normal.dot is OK for you? It depends on how many macros you have and what system you want to adopt for them). I keep them all in different modules in Normal dot and back up the Normal.dot about once a month. I find this way the easiest.

Alternatively, all your macros are in modules. When you open the VBA editor, right-click a module in the Project window (it is in the upper left corner in the default layout), you get an option to "Export file..." and save as a .bas file. Right-clicking the Project window in the VBA editor you get an option "Import file..." and can import modules.

Actually, I definitely am not in love with MS Office, but it is not so bad after all. VBA for Word is one of its best features (IMHO).

Antonin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best way to backup MS-Office's macros?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »