Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2008

I have been always getting the following messages when I open a Word file. What is really strange is that there seems to be nothing wrong with the files, as I can use them normally, but the error is still there.

(translated into English by myself)

1. The command may not be executed because a dialogue box is open. Click on OK and close the open dialogue boxes to continue.

(Press OK)

2. The document "MultiTerm7.doc" caused a serious error the las
... See more
I have been always getting the following messages when I open a Word file. What is really strange is that there seems to be nothing wrong with the files, as I can use them normally, but the error is still there.

(translated into English by myself)

1. The command may not be executed because a dialogue box is open. Click on OK and close the open dialogue boxes to continue.

(Press OK)

2. The document "MultiTerm7.doc" caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Do you wish to consider opening it? (Yes - No)

(Press Yes)

(after a pause) blank screen, text comes after a long wait, after the second pause.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Close Word Nov 4, 2008

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to "Processes" tab and check if there is any Winword left.
If so, kill it and your problems should be gone.
Or do you use Word as mail editor for Outlook? This may be the second cause.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
English to French
Replace the Multiterm7.dot in the Word Startup folder Nov 4, 2008

This sounds like a corrupted Word template.

Using Windows search, you should get (at least) 2 occurrences of Multiterm7.dot. One instance in an SDL/Trados subfolder is the original version.
Another instance of Multiterm7.dot should also be listed in the search results: it is the one that Word uses to start up and resides in your Word startup folder.

If you don't have at least those two hits, maybe you have to display hidden files (in a Windows Explorer window, cl
... See more
This sounds like a corrupted Word template.

Using Windows search, you should get (at least) 2 occurrences of Multiterm7.dot. One instance in an SDL/Trados subfolder is the original version.
Another instance of Multiterm7.dot should also be listed in the search results: it is the one that Word uses to start up and resides in your Word startup folder.

If you don't have at least those two hits, maybe you have to display hidden files (in a Windows Explorer window, click Tools>Folder options>View (or Display) and scroll to the option "Display hidden files and folders" to check it.

Close Word.

Copy the original version (the one in an SDL/Trados subfolder) and paste it into your Word startup folder (in Word 2003, it is mentioned in Options>Default Folders tab>Startup Folder entry in the list). When you're asked to replace the other version in the Word startup folder, click OK.

If this doesn't work and you haven't tweaked your Normal.dot template with macros and stuff, also delete the Normal.dot template from you Word startup folder (after exiting Word). It is generated again next time you open Word.

If you somehow delete the original Multiterm template, you can still recover it in your unzipped Trados setup program.

Hope it helped,
Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange Error Messages in Word 2003

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »