Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:23
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 1, 2022

Hi
I have not used MemoQ for a while and yesterday I wanted to carry out a project with MemoQ v9.10 using DeepL. On ticking the box to activate DeepL I got this warning window that the source text will be sent to an external provider and if this text contains personal data etc. etc. I can't remember having seen this warning message before.
Is this in contradiction to DeepL data storage rules?

Data storage
DeepL Pro subscribers’ texts aren’t saved on persistent
... See more
Hi
I have not used MemoQ for a while and yesterday I wanted to carry out a project with MemoQ v9.10 using DeepL. On ticking the box to activate DeepL I got this warning window that the source text will be sent to an external provider and if this text contains personal data etc. etc. I can't remember having seen this warning message before.
Is this in contradiction to DeepL data storage rules?

Data storage
DeepL Pro subscribers’ texts aren’t saved on persistent storage, but only stored in RAM. Translations of document files are only saved on disk temporarily for the execution of the translation. In this case, they are encrypted using state-of-the-art symmetrical encryption, with the key only stored in volatile memory and on the subscriber’s system. DeepL Pro subscribers’ texts are not used to train our models. Additionally, DeepL Pro subscribers’ glossary entries are saved in persistent storage to guarantee cross-platform ubiquity, whereas free users’ entries are only stored in the browser’s local storage.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:23
Danish to English
+ ...
No Sep 1, 2022

memoQ just informs you that data is sent to DeepL, which is obvious.

DeepL doesn't keep that data after processing. End of story.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Thomas Sep 1, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

memoQ just informs you that data is sent to DeepL, which is obvious.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only in Pro? Sep 1, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Seconded in the case of Deepl Pro. I am not sure, however, in the case of free Deepl... It's best to double-check to be safe!

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You‘re right Tomás. Sep 1, 2022

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Seconded in the case of Deepl Pro. I am not sure, however, in the case of free Deepl... It's best to double-check to be safe!

And I have DeepL Pro

[Edited at 2022-09-01 10:57 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning window

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »