How can I save the exported MemoQ QA reports in a convenient file format?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:15
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2022

When I did the QA for the six different XML files in my MemoQ online project (on my local installation of MemoQ, which is connected to the customer's online MemoQ project with translation memories and termbases online), I could only save the QA reports as html files.

So when I tried to open one of these QA reports, the source file path was display
... See more

When I did the QA for the six different XML files in my MemoQ online project (on my local installation of MemoQ, which is connected to the customer's online MemoQ project with translation memories and termbases online), I could only save the QA reports as html files.

So when I tried to open one of these QA reports, the source file path was displayed like this in my browser:

file:///E:/Project%20/Translation%20jobs%202022/Customer%name%20M%2020220819%20end%20client%20descriptions%20documentation/QA%20reports/endcustomer_202216506_22r2_Filename%20-%20SV_MynameQA_2022-08-29_17-46.html

I need to attach the QA reports in an email that I send to my customer, telling them I have completed the project. But I can't attach the QA reports source file paths like above.

I tried, but the whole email client freezed for a long time. I think I tried saving as PDF also, but for some reason I couldn't get that to work either.

The problem is when I try to send the email to my customer with these HTML files attached. For some reason, the email never was sent (it kept saying "Sending...").
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:15
English to Russian
Run QA wizard Aug 30, 2022

When you run QA, there is an option in the wizard window. Something like 'Export QA report to this folder' (I can't recall exactly).

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already marked the checkbox for this option, but the issue is the HTML format Aug 30, 2022

I marked the checkbox for exporting to a folder that I browsed to and had the QA files saved there, but in HTML format (no choice was given as to file format).

The real problem is probably the email client, I will try zipping the HTML files and see if that makes any difference.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
it kept saying "Sending..." Aug 30, 2022

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
The problem is when I try to send the email to my customer with these HTML files attached. For some reason, the email never was sent (it kept saying "Sending...").
It kept saying what?
You can send an html file as any other regular file, and your client will be able to open it. No problem with that.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It kept saying "Sending..." Aug 31, 2022

Neither more nor less, it kept saying "Sending..." and the email with the HTML files attached was never really sent, the sending process never finalized.

I will try another email client.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Aug 31, 2022

I could only save the QA reports as html files.
So when I tried to open one of these QA reports, the source file path was displayed like this in my browser:
file:///E:/Project%20/Translation%20jobs%202022/Customer%name%20M%2020220819%20end%20client%20descriptions%20documentation/QA%20reports/endcustomer_202216506_22r2_Filename%20-%20SV_MynameQA_2022-08-29_17-46.html

Yes, that is normal. When opening a local HTML file (i.e. one that is on your computer somewhere), the browser's URL field shows the URL as a path on your own computer. If you share this URL with someone else, they won't be able to open the file because the file isn't on the web, but on your computer.

I need to attach the QA reports in an email that I send to my customer, telling them I have completed the project. But I can't attach the QA reports source file paths like above.

The path of the file that you're trying to attach to an e-mail shouldn't affect whether you can attach it. But: which e-mail program are you using? With most modern e-mail programs, you simply drag and drop the file from your computer to the e-mail.

If you suspect the path is too long for your e-mail program, then move or copy the HTML file to your Desktop, and then add it as an attachment from there.

If you suspect the problem is the HTML format, then you can ZIP the HTML file and send the ZIP file instead.

[Edited at 2022-08-31 08:11 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will not touch those QA files again Aug 31, 2022

They destroy my computer!

Samuel, I thought you might be right about the file path being too long so I copied the QA files to the root folder of my external hard drive. Once there, I tried to drag and drop to the email client in the browser, and the same thing again: the computer begins to freeze and behave strange. This time it doesn't help to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log out or to switch user, the computer keeps freezing and is unresponsive.

I had to hit the power button
... See more
They destroy my computer!

Samuel, I thought you might be right about the file path being too long so I copied the QA files to the root folder of my external hard drive. Once there, I tried to drag and drop to the email client in the browser, and the same thing again: the computer begins to freeze and behave strange. This time it doesn't help to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log out or to switch user, the computer keeps freezing and is unresponsive.

I had to hit the power button to turn off the laptop, and after that the laptop hardly started after having repeatedly pressed the power button. Has never happened before.

There is nothing particular about this folder where I have the QA files in either, just a normal folder on my local Windows 10 laptop under the same parent folder as for other translation projects.

I already tried zipping the files and the output zip becomes 0 KB in size. And this zip can't be attached either.

I'm going to delete these QA files and empty the trash bin of them immediately.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try support Aug 31, 2022

Considering that there are no reports on this bug destroying somebody else's computers, it is not that common among users. I think you should contact their help center to ask for help. The more so that you use an external hard drive.

[Edited at 2022-08-31 19:31 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Sep 1, 2022

I already tried zipping the files and the output zip becomes 0 KB in size. And this zip can't be attached either.

If the ZIP file is 0 bytes in size, it either means that your anti-virus had interfered with the zipping process (in which case the solution is very complicated but it involves telling your anti-virus program to ignore the file or the folder that it is in) or that the path of the HTML file is too long or that the file name is invalid.

If you struggle to copy a single file (whose path is too long), try copying the folder itself. This often works for me when the file's path is too long. The same applies to zipping -- if you can't zip a file itself, try zipping the folder that the file is in. Another trick that might look a little less professional to the client is to create a dummy file named e.g. "ignore-me.txt" with the e.g. text "please ignore this file" in it, and then zip both files simultaneously.

Now, I notice that you seem to have a folder called "Customer%name". Having a percentage sign in a file name or folder name is possible, but it can confuse some programs. Or perhaps you changed it manually for privacy reasons here in the post, accidentally omitting "20", and you don't actually have a folder with a percentage sign in its name (-: I'm assuming you did the same with "Project", since it is odd to see a folder name that ends on a space.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm trying with uninstalling the latest quality update for my Windows 10 Sep 4, 2022

I'm trying with uninstalling the latest quality update for my Windows 10 now because right after I had run a short Windows update all types of other problems also started to occur. And now when I pressed F11 upon start-up to run a start-up repair, it said Start-up repair couldn't repair your PC.

I think quality updates are these small updates whereas feature updates are larger ones that require a reboot after the update. I remember I was not prompted for reboot after the update had
... See more
I'm trying with uninstalling the latest quality update for my Windows 10 now because right after I had run a short Windows update all types of other problems also started to occur. And now when I pressed F11 upon start-up to run a start-up repair, it said Start-up repair couldn't repair your PC.

I think quality updates are these small updates whereas feature updates are larger ones that require a reboot after the update. I remember I was not prompted for reboot after the update had been completed, so it must have been a quality update.

There is a log file at C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt I haven't looked at it yet.

As for F11, there are several options to choose from on the page Advanced options, which one should I try next if it doesn't help to uninstall the latest quality update?:

Start-up repair (didn't work)

Start-up settings (change Windows' start-up behaviour)

Command prompt (use the command prompt for advanced troubleshooting)

Uninstall updates (remove recently installed quality or feature updates from Windows; this is the option that definitely could work because this whole issue started immediately after I had run a system update)

UEFI firmware settings (change settings in your PC's UEFI firmware)

System restore (use a restore point recorded on your PC to restore Windows; there are never any restore points to choose from)
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the meantime, how can I batch-populate segments from the online Memsource TM? Sep 4, 2022

I have a second computer with Windows 7 that I also have Memsource installed on, and I checked now, I can see my translations there from the online Memsource TM. The project is on 16,000 words so if it's possible to batch-populate the segments from the online Memsource TM rather than having to populate each segment one by one, that would be preferable.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I contacted Kilgray support five days ago Sep 4, 2022

Stepan, I contacted Kilgray support five days ago and they are working on this. They asked me to provide them with the QA settings file that I use for this particular MemoQ customer only. Strange, but when I browsed to the folder for this QA settings file there were four of them (I only saved one QA settings file after I had made the required settings but never checked afterwards that there was only one QA settings file generated). Kilgray support remarked on this and asked me to pinpoint exactl... See more
Stepan, I contacted Kilgray support five days ago and they are working on this. They asked me to provide them with the QA settings file that I use for this particular MemoQ customer only. Strange, but when I browsed to the folder for this QA settings file there were four of them (I only saved one QA settings file after I had made the required settings but never checked afterwards that there was only one QA settings file generated). Kilgray support remarked on this and asked me to pinpoint exactly which of the QA settings files it was that I used for creating the QA reports with.Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was the Windows 10 quality update that caused this problem Sep 4, 2022

It was the Windows 10 quality update that caused this problem. After I had removed it everything works as normal again, including Memsource and other applications (Excel etc.) that after the quality update didn't work.

Stepan Konev

Hung Mai
Hung Mai
Vietnam
Local time: 00:15
English to Vietnamese
How about importing bilingual xliff files from your Windows 10 machine to your Windows 7 one? Sep 4, 2022

if it's possible to batch-populate the segments from the online Memsource TM rather than having to populate each segment one by one, that would be preferable.

AFAIK, the batch-populate option may involve in some setting on the MemoQ server side (to which we can't do anything). I think it may save you some time exporting the work you've done in the Windows 10 machine and importing it to your backup machine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »