MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2022

MemoQ ver. 9.7.25 translator pro

Old computer no longer available. Just copied backup files.

On the old computer, the program-related files were on C drive and the user files on D drive.
This was because D was very big and C was small. So to save space, many user files were directed for storage on D drive.

I have the contents of D copied over into a backup folder on the NEW computer.

MemoQ has been re-installed fresh on the NEW computer.<
... See more
MemoQ ver. 9.7.25 translator pro

Old computer no longer available. Just copied backup files.

On the old computer, the program-related files were on C drive and the user files on D drive.
This was because D was very big and C was small. So to save space, many user files were directed for storage on D drive.

I have the contents of D copied over into a backup folder on the NEW computer.

MemoQ has been re-installed fresh on the NEW computer.

But I need to move the things that were on D (user data, not only TMs but seemingly some other things) over to C, because I only have the one drive now, which is big enough and they don't need to be directed to different drives due to the space the files occupy.
My question is, after a fresh re-install, can I just cut and paste the contents of the user folders over to C?

I did e-mail MemoQ support, but my IT guy (the one who handled the transfer of data from old PC to new PC) said re their response (which gave locations of various MemoQ folders and links to online educational pages), that:
"On the memoq its not that simple as what they emailed. 2 of the folder locations that want copied are not in the backup since they are not part of user files and is part of a software install which we don't copy unless absolutely needed. The question that needs to be asked to them is what happens if the old computer died and you couldn't get that data how would you do the setup from that perspective."

Any ideas? Has anyone had to do this before, and had to puzzle out where to put things in the "local map" of MemoQ data folders?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:33
Danish to English
+ ...
Here Jun 14, 2022

At https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/329323-transferring_license_from_one_pc_to_another_one.html , I described what I did and the paths to the memoQ files.

If you don't have all of it, it will be more difficult.

Consider using a backup system that backs up the entire drive, such as Acronis. It will make t
... See more
At https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/329323-transferring_license_from_one_pc_to_another_one.html , I described what I did and the paths to the memoQ files.

Consider using a backup system that backs up the entire drive, such as Acronis. It will make things simpler in the future but won't save you right now.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Setting up MemoQ on a new computer Jun 14, 2022

Under the Projects and Resources tabs of the Locations window you can specify the location of your folders: projects, TMs, TBs, LiveDocs and Muses. They can be anywhere, they don't have to be on the C: drive. You can paste the contents from the old computer to the new locations on the new computer.

When you first use MemoQ after this relocation, you might not see your projects, TMs, etc. To get your TMs back, open the Resource console, click on Translation Memories > Register Local
... See more
Under the Projects and Resources tabs of the Locations window you can specify the location of your folders: projects, TMs, TBs, LiveDocs and Muses. They can be anywhere, they don't have to be on the C: drive. You can paste the contents from the old computer to the new locations on the new computer.

When you first use MemoQ after this relocation, you might not see your projects, TMs, etc. To get your TMs back, open the Resource console, click on Translation Memories > Register Local and then navigate to the location where you saved your TMs. Find the one you need, double click the folder to open it and double click the MemoQTM.mtm file inside it. The TM will be added to the list of TMs you can use.

A similar procedure applies to your projects, TMs, etc.

If the old computer has died, there are adapters that allow you to remove the hard drive from the old computer and plug it into a USB port of the new computer, where it will appear as an external drive that you can transfer the data from. You can get an adapter from a computer store.
Collapse

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Register Local was grayed out for some reason, not clickable Jun 14, 2022

John Fossey wrote:

When you first use MemoQ after this relocation, you might not see your projects, TMs, etc. To get your TMs back, open the Resource console, click on Translation Memories > Register Local and then navigate to the location where you saved your TMs. Find the one you need, double click the folder to open it and double click the MemoQTM.mtm file inside it. The TM will be added to the list of TMs you can use.

A similar procedure applies to your projects, TMs, etc.

If the old computer has died, there are adapters that allow you to remove the hard drive from the old computer and plug it into a USB port of the new computer, where it will appear as an external drive that you can transfer the data from. You can get an adapter from a computer store.

Register Local was grayed out for some reason, not clickable.
Thank you though!

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 14, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Consider using a backup system that backs up the entire drive, such as Acronis. It will make things simpler in the future but won't save you right now.

Thank you!
I have my IT gentleman working on it and passed on to him your suggestions and Mr. Fossey's as well. Thank you both.

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
working on going through these now Jun 14, 2022

https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/334883-register_local_memory_is_grey_unavailable.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migration from backup

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »