Thread poster: Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:08
German to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

I've looked everywhere for the answer - the help, the application itself, my account, the knowledge base, here...I just can't find a simple answer to a simple question.

How do I do the above? I am looking for somewhere to deactivate/return my licence from my old computer, so I can use it on my new one.

Can anyone please enlighten me? Is the licence returned as part of the uninstall process?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask support Aug 19, 2015

It sounds like a question for Kilgray support: support.kilgray.com.

I found the two following articles in the knowledgebase, but neither addresses your specific question:

... See more
It sounds like a question for Kilgray support: support.kilgray.com.

I found the two following articles in the knowledgebase, but neither addresses your specific question:

https://support.kilgray.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/146/0/installing-memoq-on-my-second-computer

https://support.kilgray.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/184/0/installing-memoq-on-a-third-computer

The latter says: "Please contact Kilgray's support team ([email protected]) and specify which serial you need deactivated".
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 01:08
English to Russian
Using memoQ license on a new PC Aug 19, 2015

Hello,

You should confirm with Kilgray, of course, but just using the same license details on the new computer should work. I recently had to migrate memoQ data to a new computer for a colleague of mine and this worked in my case. At one point in time the same license number (including the last part, 001) was activated on both computers -- my colleague's "old" PC and the new computer -- while I migrated all the data. So as long as you stop using the old computer, it should be OK.... See more
Hello,

You should confirm with Kilgray, of course, but just using the same license details on the new computer should work. I recently had to migrate memoQ data to a new computer for a colleague of mine and this worked in my case. At one point in time the same license number (including the last part, 001) was activated on both computers -- my colleague's "old" PC and the new computer -- while I migrated all the data. So as long as you stop using the old computer, it should be OK.

Of course, if this fails for some reason, you can still use the second license number (with 002 instead of 001 at the end).

Best regards,
Stanislav
Collapse

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
Romanian to English
+ ...
Simply install Aug 19, 2015

Not sure if this is the right technical answer, but when my harddrive crashed, I simply installed MemoQ (2013 R2) and activated my license on the new harddrive.

P.S. Of course, this only applies to the license, and will not move your translation memories, term bases, and projects to your new machine.

[Edited at 2015-08-19 18:54 GMT]

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've done it... Aug 19, 2015

Thank you both! Annamaria you are correct. I simply uninstalled the application from the old machine (don't know whether or not I HAD to do this, but did it anyway) and successfully installed on the new one.

I have logged a request with Kilgray to add this information to their knowledge base as I don't appreciate the time I wasted searching for an answer to what must be, a very common and fundamental question!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving MemoQ installation from one computer to another

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »