Where are Quotation marks and other simple features in MemoQ 2014???
Thread poster: Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 15:07
English to German
+ ...
Feb 4, 2015

Hi there,

Unfortunately I can't fin any button or menu to insert quotation marks in MemoQ - if there is one, it is well hidden to new users apparently (just like so many other things in this alleged super-intuitive tool..)

Also, how can I open a mqxliff file in MemoQ without setting up a project for it (seems like it's impossible??).

Thanks a lot for any newbie advice

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:07
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Meaning what? Feb 4, 2015

Explain, what’s the problem about quotation marks. Why do you need a button or menu? I simply use the keyboard.

Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
German ones Feb 4, 2015

Hi there,
I need a specific format for German quotation marks - when I type I get » but I need „“.
I've used the Alt+132 commands now but it would be preferable to set the buttons right in MemoQ - in Trados Studio there's a button for it..
Also I wonder how to do an Xbench report, as there are no Memoq files selectable in Xbench 2.9.0, looks like I need to use a tmx file??

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:07
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try modifying… Feb 4, 2015

SmartQuotes.xml file in {memoQ user settings directory}\AutoCorrect\. Or use the international layout.

BTW, the above file specifies exactly „” for the German language. Make sure that your project languages are set correctly.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 11:49 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:07
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Keep a master project Feb 4, 2015

Peter Sass wrote:
Also, how can I open a mqxliff file in MemoQ without setting up a project for it (seems like it's impossible??).

I just keep a generic master project for each combination and select for it any one-offs. If it gets too bloated, I start a new one. There's no reason to go through the project creation process for each one-off.

Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right.. Feb 4, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

I just keep a generic master project for each combination and select for it any one-offs. If it gets too bloated, I start a new one. There's no reason to go through the project creation process for each one-off.

..it's the specific language settings, but then why can't I tweak those IN the program itself?

Having used MemoQ for a little while now, I keep having the same experience again and again - "Where is this featue hidden..!!??".

According to your post, Rudolf, I guess I'm right to assume that MemoQ is not even able to open its own file format straight away, without any project setup.
Now wouldn't this be simply ridiculous for any software??

Then are a number of features which certainly exist in MemoQ but can't be found intuitively because they are not placed where you expect them PLUS the Help (online + offline) so far has not answered ANY questions for me..

For instance, I still don't know how to update a project and master TM after completing a project - I know about synchronisation, but this only works with server projects.
I'm sure I'll eventually find out, but then why is there no simple button 'update TM' in the TM tab?? How can programmers be so thoughtless?

I don't know about R2, but MemoQ 2014 so far has underimpressed me quite a bit I'm afraid.

Thanks for your help anyway.

pep
pep
English to Spanish
You need Xbench 3.0 instead Feb 6, 2015

Peter Sass wrote:

Also I wonder how to do an Xbench report, as there are no Memoq files selectable in Xbench 2.9.0, looks like I need to use a tmx file??

memoQ .mqxlz files require Xbench 3.0 because that is the first Xbench version that supports them.

There are couple videos showing the integration Xbench 3.0-memoQ

Pep.

Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Pep.. Feb 7, 2015

for confirming that Xbench 2.9 can't handle memoQ .mqxlz files, which means I need to use tmx or buy Xbench 3.0.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
... Feb 7, 2015

Quotation marks:
Open the document
Select Translation at the top
Auto correct
Uncheck "Replace straight quotes with smart quotes"
You should get the right quotation marks for the target language.

Update TM
There's no button because whatever TM you have set as primary is updated as you go along. Depending on whether or not you allow multiple entries, the previous entry will be updated when you hit confirm or there will be an additional entry for th
... See more
Quotation marks:
Open the document
Select Translation at the top
Auto correct
Uncheck "Replace straight quotes with smart quotes"
You should get the right quotation marks for the target language.

Update TM
There's no button because whatever TM you have set as primary is updated as you go along. Depending on whether or not you allow multiple entries, the previous entry will be updated when you hit confirm or there will be an additional entry for the source segment.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are Quotation marks and other simple features in MemoQ 2014???

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »