What is the state of the development about the handling of Trados 2011 projects?
Thread poster: Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:46
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Jan 24, 2013

Hello,

I am considering MemoQ mainly as a getaround for Trados.

The Webinars on the Kilgray site indicate that sdlppx cannot be unpacked yet and that the import of sdlxliff files may be subject to losses. Also, it is not clear to me from the information on the Kilgray website if the sdltm data bases can be imported directly into MemoQ without intermediate steps.

Thanks news about this.

Geneviève.

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Version 6.2 of memoQ supports pre-segmented SDL Studio projects Jan 24, 2013

Hi Geneviève,

According to Kilgray, the latest version of memoQ translator pro, 6.2, supports Studio projects if the source files have been pre-segmented in Studio beforehand. See http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/whatsnew and the on
... See more
Hi Geneviève,

According to Kilgray, the latest version of memoQ translator pro, 6.2, supports Studio projects if the source files have been pre-segmented in Studio beforehand. See http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/whatsnew and the online help documentation here, for example: http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?import_a_sdl_package.html

Although I've been using memoQ for two years now and am currently working with the latest version, I'm afraid I can't answer your specific questions myself as I don't get Studio files to translate. Why don't you write to Kilgray's Support team at support[at]kilgray.com or post your questions on the memoQ user forum at Yahoo! Groups?

Regards

Carl

P.S. Here's a help page from my own version of memoQ that ought to be online, but isn't yet. That may also answer some of your questions (the screen shots haven't been copied for some reason, hence the gaps):

Import SDL Studio package

memoQ can import SDL Studio packages (*.sdlppx). SDLPPX files are ZIP files and contain a descriptive XML, the documents for translation in SDLXLIFF format and translation memories. memoQ handles the import similar to STAR Transit packages.

Importing a SDL Studio project

From the Dashboard, click the Import SDL Studio package command link. From the Project menu, choose Import Package > SDL Studio Package. After locating and selecting the SDLPPX file, the Import SDL Studio package wizard starts. In this wizard, you can specify a name and location for the memoQ project that will contain the information extracted from the SDL Studio project. This wizard is similar to the New memoQ project Wizard.

Step 1: Project information

The first page of the Import SDL Studio package wizard is similar to the Project information page of the New memoQ project wizard. memoQ automatically suggests a project name and fills in the languages. The Project, Client, Domain and Subject values are also inherited from the SDL Studio project. You can change the details here. Click Next to proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Setting up translation documents

In the second page, the translation memories are imported. Click the Converter configuration link to configure the SDLXLIFF filter in the Document import settings.

Converter configuration

General tab:

States tab:

Additional comments tab:

If you need to make changes to the SDLXLIFF filter, use the 3 tabs to configure the filter, then click OK.

Navigation

Click Finish to proceed with importing the SDL Studio project. Click Cancel to leave the dialog without importing the project.

The SDL Studio package is imported. You can not add additional documents to a project that was created by importing a SDL Studio package.

Note: The SDL Studio package can not be imported if the SDLXLIFF file was not properly pre-segmented in SDL Studio. To properly prepare an SDLXLIFF file in SDL STudio after import, right-click the file in the source language view, and click Prepare.

Note: SDL Studio packages can also be imported into a memoQ online project.
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
75% Jan 24, 2013

Well, in my albeit very limited experience with using both, I found that memoQ Pro 6.2.5 was able to succesfully import three out of four "properly segmented" .sdlxliff files created by Trados 2011. I cannot tell you why the fourth file failed, but all four files were in fact pieces of the same original Word document, and there was really no difference between any of them (similar content: text, images, tables etc).

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
Finnish to French
Send to Kilgray? Jan 25, 2013

valymer wrote:
Well, in my albeit very limited experience with using both, I found that memoQ Pro 6.2.5 was able to succesfully import three out of four "properly segmented" .sdlxliff files created by Trados 2011. I cannot tell you why the fourth file failed, but all four files were in fact pieces of the same original Word document, and there was really no difference between any of them (similar content: text, images, tables etc).

Did you send the offending .sdlxliff to [email protected] for further investigation? Invalid XML characters in .sdlxliff files (as put there by Studio) are a known cause of failure to import in other tools (Déjà Vu).

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
No, although I'm sure they could have figured it out Jan 25, 2013

Instead of trying to fix the issue, I decided to just use the "Export for External Review" feature in Trados (that was the sole purpose for me importing the file into memoQ, to use the Bilingual Export feature). While I'm fairly certain that Kilgray could have helped me solve the problem, it doesn't change the fact that the two programs had trouble working with each other "out of the box," so to speak. I thought that might be relevant to the OP's inquiry, since he mentioned the import of .sdlxli... See more
Instead of trying to fix the issue, I decided to just use the "Export for External Review" feature in Trados (that was the sole purpose for me importing the file into memoQ, to use the Bilingual Export feature). While I'm fairly certain that Kilgray could have helped me solve the problem, it doesn't change the fact that the two programs had trouble working with each other "out of the box," so to speak. I thought that might be relevant to the OP's inquiry, since he mentioned the import of .sdlxliff files into memoQ.Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update from Kilgray Feb 21, 2013

Sorry to get back to this so late, as I have been busy lately.

Here is the answer by the Kilgray support service:

Yes, in memoQ 6.2, you can import SDL package data without any extra steps.
When you import SDL package in memoQ, memoQ will create a project and import the source documents and TMs as in the package.
After translation is done, you can export the return package (SDLRPX) in memoQ and SDL Studio can open it without any problem.

A
... See more
Sorry to get back to this so late, as I have been busy lately.

Here is the answer by the Kilgray support service:

Yes, in memoQ 6.2, you can import SDL package data without any extra steps.
When you import SDL package in memoQ, memoQ will create a project and import the source documents and TMs as in the package.
After translation is done, you can export the return package (SDLRPX) in memoQ and SDL Studio can open it without any problem.

Addition to this, you can also import SDLXLIFF in memoQ as the source document.
Please refer to the recorded webinar recently done:
http://kilgray.com/webinars/how-process-sdl-studio-and-star-transit-packages-well-wordfast-files-memoq-english-005508

Greetings,
Geneviève
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Presegmentation needed Feb 22, 2013

I have now watched the video and stated that an import of SDLXLIFF files have to be presegmented to be able to be imported into MemoQ. This remains a big problem to me, as most customers are not willing to do this step for their language providers.

GG.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the state of the development about the handling of Trados 2011 projects?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »