Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 13, 2012

Hi everyone,

I am excited to share with you a goodie (completely free, except google API)

First of all, I would like to thank Jon Olds for writing a déjà vu plugin using autohotkey script. Inspired by GT4T, I altered the script so that the program works everywhere instead of in Deja Vu or MemoQ only.

Before using this script you need to have Autohotkey (free) installed on your computer and buy a Google Translate API key. copy and paste the codes at the en
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am excited to share with you a goodie (completely free, except google API)

First of all, I would like to thank Jon Olds for writing a déjà vu plugin using autohotkey script. Inspired by GT4T, I altered the script so that the program works everywhere instead of in Deja Vu or MemoQ only.

Before using this script you need to have Autohotkey (free) installed on your computer and buy a Google Translate API key. copy and paste the codes at the end of this post to a txt editor like Notepad. then save it with teh extension, ahk.

when you run this script for the first time, you need to run it as an administrator. a popup will show prompting you to enter the language pair and google API. since the second time, run the script as a normal user. (to run the script, just right click the ahk file and the popup menu will show the option).

when you come across a sentence or a segment you would like to google translate. select it and press ctrl+j, the selected text will be replaced by translation from Google. Instead of sending the whole segment to Google, you can send any part of a sentence and let machine translation work on that part only.

Comparing with GT4T, it lacks other features like alternative suggestions and pre-translations using user defined glossary and I am still a fan of GT4T, specially its new pre-translation feature.

I am crazily busy this month and might not be able to respond to any inquiry quickly. However if you take some time and look into the code, you might dig out a bit more functions.

Good luck.

;
; Language: English
; Author: Jon Olds
; Modified by: Donglai Lou
;
; Requires Autohotkey_L

; Use Ctrl J key combination to translate any highlighted segments
; Use Windows-Shift-G key combination to switch translation engine (Google Translate or Microsoft Translate)

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

RegRead, langfrom, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\GBingTrans, sourceLang
RegRead, langto, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\GBingTrans, targetLang
RegRead, apikey, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\GBingTrans, apiKey

strdeja := % chr(68) . chr(233) . chr(106) . chr(224)

; Choose bing for Microsoft Translate or gtrans for Google Translate as default translation service
serv := "bing"

if (langfrom="") OR (langto="") OR (apikey="") or (A_IsAdmin)
{
Gui, Add, Text,, Source Language
Gui, Add, Text,, Target Language
Gui, Add, Text,, Google Translate Key
Gui, Add, Edit, vSource ym ; The ym option starts a new column of controls.
Gui, Add, Edit, vTarget
Gui, Add, Edit, vAPIKey w300
Gui, Add, Button, default, OK ; The label ButtonOK (if it exists) will be run when the button is pressed.
GuiControl,, Source, %langfrom%
GuiControl,, Target, %langto%
GuiControl,, APIKey, %apikey%

Gui, Show,, Settings for G2BingTrans
return ; End of auto-execute section. The script is idle until the user does something.

}
return

GuiClose:
ButtonOK:
Gui, Submit ; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable.

if not A_IsAdmin
{
Msgbox, You need to run the application as administrator to change the settings (right-click on icon)
ExitApp
}

RegWrite, REG_SZ, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\GBingTrans, sourceLang, %Source%
RegWrite, REG_SZ, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\GBingTrans, targetLang, %Target%
RegWrite, REG_SZ, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\GBingTrans, apiKey, %APIKey%
Msgbox Settings recorded in registry - Please now run the script normally (without running as Administrator)
ExitApp

^j::

clipboard = ; Start off empty to allow ClipWait to detect when the text has arrived.

; Collect the highlighted text
Send ^c

ClipWait ; Wait for the clipboard to contain text.

; copy clipboard text into var
var = %clipboard%

; Get rid of codes
var:= RegExReplace(var, "\{[\d]+\}", "")
; Sort out ampersand
StringReplace, var, var, &, &, All

pWHR := ComObjCreate("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1") ; CreateObject

If (serv="bing")
{
sUrl := "http://api.microsofttranslator.com/v2/Http.svc/Translate?appId=74FE953EB48E1487E94F4BF9C425B6290FF2DA48&from=" . langfrom . "&to=" . langto . "&text=" . var
}
If (serv="gtrans")
{
sUrl := "https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2?key=" . apikey . "&q=" . var . "&source=" . langfrom . "&target=" . langto
}

pWHR.Open("GET", sURL)
pWHR.Send()
sResponseText := pWHR.ResponseText

If (serv="bing")
{
mk := instr(sResponseText, "/" . chr(34) . ">" )
fg := substr(sResponseText, mk+3)
mh := instr(fg, "")
ej := substr(fg, 1, mh-1)
}

If (serv="gtrans")
{
mk := instr(sResponseText, "translatedText")
fg := substr(sResponseText, 18+mk)
mh := instr(fg, chr(34))
ej := substr(fg, 1, mh-1)
}

clipboard = %ej%
Send ^v

pWHR :=""

Return

#+g::
if (serv="bing")
{
serv := "gtrans"
Msgbox, Switched to Google Translate
}
Else
{
serv := "bing"
Msgbox, Switched to Microsoft Translator
}

Return
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
one question May 9, 2013

Hi Donglai!

Thanks for the cool script!

I am just trying your script but can't get it to work yet.

In what format do the language codes need to be written?

for Dutch, e.g.:

nl

nl-NL

NL

etc.

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
An intriguing question, May 10, 2013

Michael. I like those problems. I opened the API of my CAT tool, with a lot of problems and unexpected unzipping, and I found out it doesn't contain any languageto/from coding. That makes sense of course, because you set those languages in the CAT tool, and they can vary. So I think you should only enter them in this piece of Donglai's code:

sUrl := "https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2?key=" . apikey . "&q=" . var . "&source=" . langfrom . "&target=" . langto
... See more
Michael. I like those problems. I opened the API of my CAT tool, with a lot of problems and unexpected unzipping, and I found out it doesn't contain any languageto/from coding. That makes sense of course, because you set those languages in the CAT tool, and they can vary. So I think you should only enter them in this piece of Donglai's code:

In your case, I think it should read:

sUrl := "https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2?key=" . apikey . "&q=" . var . "&source=" . nl . "&target=" . en

I can't try it, as you know.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-05-10 08:14 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Hans: May 10, 2013

I tried what you suggested and no luck. I'll keep trying though!

Michael

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why do we need Google translate????? May 10, 2013

As professional translators, I do not see how anyone would benefit from using Google translate, or am I missing something?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
just one more arrow in my quiver May 10, 2013

Hi Jeff,

I understand how you feel. I know that many people think it is highly unprofessional to use Google Translate or any other machine translation solution so let me try to explain how I use it myself.

I translate in memoQ. I usually start with an empty segment and have Google Translate and Microsoft Translator translations of my source segment to my right in a little window. I might also see a fuzzy hit or two, from (my own) past translations, and a long list of te
... See more
Hi Jeff,

I understand how you feel. I know that many people think it is highly unprofessional to use Google Translate or any other machine translation solution so let me try to explain how I use it myself.

I translate in memoQ. I usually start with an empty segment and have Google Translate and Microsoft Translator translations of my source segment to my right in a little window. I might also see a fuzzy hit or two, from (my own) past translations, and a long list of term base hits with single terms and short phrases that I have collected over the years. I either type my translation into the target segment box or speak it in using Dragon Naturally Speaking and a desktop mic. When typing or speaking in my translation, I scan the results from Google Translate and Microsoft Translator and any fuzzy hits and term base hits. Google Translate is therefore only one cog in my complete workflow. That's how I use GT in my own work.

Google has managed to design the best MT solution currently available. I think it would be a shame not to make use of that.

Michael

PS: Please note that I use the (paid) Google Translate API, which is currently built into memoQ and a number of other modern CAT tools.
Collapse

innn
innn
Romania
BING variant that does offline translation? Mar 15, 2014

Glad to encounter this kind of goodies but I have a question does this work with Bing ? I am interested in lots of translating while disconnected from the web and Bing offers that for a number of languages. Thank you and I appreciate this work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Home-made Google Translate plugin

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »