Translation of smartphone apps and web pages process
Thread poster: Christopher S.
Jan 14, 2022

Hello fellow translators,

I am studying translation and I would like to be specialized in translation and localisation of websites and applications. I'm doing a presentation for one of my class and I would like to present the translation of :

-Smartphone applications

- Web pages

What is for you the ideal process for a high quality translation for the different sections above? What are for you the steps and potential people involved in these tra
... See more
Hello fellow translators,

I am studying translation and I would like to be specialized in translation and localisation of websites and applications. I'm doing a presentation for one of my class and I would like to present the translation of :

-Smartphone applications

- Web pages

What is for you the ideal process for a high quality translation for the different sections above? What are for you the steps and potential people involved in these translations.
Here I'm talking an internal translator for a start-up for example, not a freelancer or a translator working for an agency?

For example, how are smarthpone applications usually translated ? Does the translator receive the full text of everything written in the application in a CAT tools and the developer then puts the translation on the app himself ?

Same for Web pages, how are they translated ? The translator translates everything is a CAT tool and the developer copies everything or wordpress ? And only the translators and the developers are involved ? Or also other people ?

Who are all the people involved ?

From what I understood by reading some posts here :

If the website is built on a CMS like Wordpress, the translator can directly translate on the website using a plugins like WPML, Memsource or others. The translator can also download the XLIFF format, translate it in his CAT tool, and upload it on WordPress. Another option is the export the XML file but it's not easy to work on them.

If the website is not built on a CMS, and that it's just coded by some developers, what is the procedure ? Does the translator needs to ask for XLIFF file to the developper? And it's the webmaster who is in charge of putting the translation on the website ?

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Collapse

Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
Arabic to English
additional questions Feb 25, 2022

If the website is not built on a CMS, and that it's just coded by some developers, what is the procedure ? Does the translator needs to ask for XLIFF file to the developper? And it's the webmaster who is in charge of putting the translation on the website ?

I have some questions about this as well. In general, it is difficult to find information about the entire localization workflow because most information I have read is either aimed at software developers or at translators without explaining how the localization engineer interacts between them.

In the tutorials I have read about web internationalization, there are various types of localization source file formats such as PO and JSON files. Assuming that it is not a static website, its translatable strings could be dynamically generated with the help of a database or an external API. How is the additional information from the database or API transferred to the localization source files when it is not hardcoded into the template files that generate the HTML?

Also, most of those internationalization tutorials do not use XLIFF files in the web development process even though it is the translation industry standard. Are the other file formats converted into XLIFF files before it reaches the translator? I wonder if PO files, for example, could just be used instead since software like Poedit is specifically designed for translating PO files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of smartphone apps and web pages process

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »