Jana Novomeska  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 14:27
Miembro
inglés al eslovaco
+ ...
Sep 22, 2011

Hi there,

My colleague was asked to translate a play script from English into Czech. However he was only offered a hard copy of the script (therefore no way to check the source wordcount). Also, he doesn't know how to deal with repeated character names - should they be included in the wordcount? Would the fee be the same as for any other specialized translation (for example technical, medical, legal...) or would it be different? Can you give me an idea so that I can help the guy out
... See more
Hi there,

My colleague was asked to translate a play script from English into Czech. However he was only offered a hard copy of the script (therefore no way to check the source wordcount). Also, he doesn't know how to deal with repeated character names - should they be included in the wordcount? Would the fee be the same as for any other specialized translation (for example technical, medical, legal...) or would it be different? Can you give me an idea so that I can help the guy out?

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:27
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
About the fees Sep 23, 2011

I assume your friend uses a CAT Tool? Translators who use CAT Tools often give a discount voor each matched word, and a different rate for fuzzy matches.

And which file format is that script in? Because although you cant edit the source, resaving the page with another name allows editing, and then with most programs you can do a word count.

If not using a CAT Tool, then you would generally include each repetition as a normal word.

Jana Novomeska
Jana Novomeska  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 14:27
Miembro
inglés al eslovaco
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
No CAT tools Sep 23, 2011

He does not use any CAT tools. Also, it wouldn't help much as he has to use a BOOK (hard copy) to work on, he doesn't have an electronic version of the script...

golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:27
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Try scanning possibly? Sep 23, 2011

Is it not possible to scan those pages electronically? You would really need a high-tech scanner that could save it in good quality. So that you can then have it counted in Word.

But a hardcore book translation, that is well rare, I wish your friend luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a play script

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »