Off topic: Wow he must be a genius!
Thread poster: Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 16, 2008

Really, some people are just desperate for work.
Look what I found on a job site.

"Hello, I am professional translation. I can translate your texts for low price. I can translate in English, Spanish, German, Dutch, French, Bulgarian. If you have a job for me please bid here and write me PM. Best Regards Alex."

I think we can be sure that this Alex is either a complete genius that he can speak 6 languages, OR (and I personally think that is more likely) th
... See more
Really, some people are just desperate for work.
Look what I found on a job site.

"Hello, I am professional translation. I can translate your texts for low price. I can translate in English, Spanish, German, Dutch, French, Bulgarian. If you have a job for me please bid here and write me PM. Best Regards Alex."

I think we can be sure that this Alex is either a complete genius that he can speak 6 languages, OR (and I personally think that is more likely) this guy has discovered the use of translation machine software on the Internet!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sad... but true Mar 16, 2008

Oh, dear Alex is by no means alone — and it's horrifying to see how, even on this site, there are lots of people making similarly implausible claims — and usually giving themselves away in their first sentence!

It is particularly regrettable, not to say astonishing, that there is so much dishonesty about people's 'native language' — and how people who have misrepresented their native language fall at the first hurdle, betraying their non-native status in the wording of
... See more
Oh, dear Alex is by no means alone — and it's horrifying to see how, even on this site, there are lots of people making similarly implausible claims — and usually giving themselves away in their first sentence!

It is particularly regrettable, not to say astonishing, that there is so much dishonesty about people's 'native language' — and how people who have misrepresented their native language fall at the first hurdle, betraying their non-native status in the wording of their KudoZ questions or replies.
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Ah, but you misinterpret Mar 16, 2008

It's simply a matter of proper emphasis:

"Hello, I am professional translation."

Now it's all clear.

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
genius? Mar 16, 2008

Nicolette Scholte wrote:

I think we can be sure that this Alex is either a complete genius that he can speak 6 languages, OR (and I personally think that is more likely) this guy has discovered the use of translation machine software on the Internet!

This guy is obviously a bad joke, no doubt about that.
But what makes you think one must be a genius to speak 6 languages? I am fluent in 5 languages, working on number 6 and 7 and if I count in Latin that would make it 8. And I don't intend to stop there yet. Does that make me a genius? I really don't think so! Where I live, in Luxembourg, speaking 5 or 6 languages is pretty common and I am sure that here on ProZ there are many professional translators who speak 6 or even more languages and are very good translators. Claiming to speak 6 languages is not implausible in itself and does not automatically make you a dishonest person. Claiming "I am professional translation" is a different thing alltogether.

Christine

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:30
English to Polish
And I am a... Mar 16, 2008

Nicolette Scholte wrote:

"Hello, I am professional translation.

... human being...

In perfect world such "professional translations" should go only to non-paying agencies and vice versa.

Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well I seriously admire you then, Christine Mar 16, 2008

Christine Schmit wrote:

Nicolette Scholte wrote:

This guy is obviously a bad joke, no doubt about that.
But what makes you think one must be a genius to speak 6 languages? I am fluent in 5 languages, working on number 6 and 7 and if I count in Latin that would make it 8. And I don't intend to stop there yet. Does that make me a genius? I really don't think so! Where I live, in Luxembourg, speaking 5 or 6 languages is pretty common and I am sure that here on ProZ there are many professional translators who speak 6 or even more languages and are very good translators. Claiming to speak 6 languages is not implausible in itself and does not automatically make you a dishonest person. Claiming "I am professional translation" is a different thing alltogether.

Christine

Well Christine, I admire you!
Seriously, the only two languages I'm fluent in are English and Dutch. And I can speak a little bit German and French.
Okay genius was maybe a wrong word to use. But still, it is pretty good!

But this guy, well, I doubt he is speaking six languages, especially as he says that he translates (into or from, that is not completely clear) English and then in the first sentence says that he is 'a professional translation', that gives me big doubts.

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:30
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Hehehe... Mar 16, 2008

That was funny...

I do agree though... quite a few pseudo-translators here...

Vera Clark
Vera Clark  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
German to English
+ ...
I am new Mar 19, 2008

I am new to the translator world and only speak two languages. Have not even figured out yet how to set my profile up the proper way or how to attract clients, lol.
My husband speaks 12 languages fluently but is not interested in becoming a translator. I believe that anyone who speaks 5 or more languages is a genius indeed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wow he must be a genius!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »