Off topic: Why was six afraid of seven?
Користувач, який розмістив тему: Petra_44
Petra_44  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
англійська --> німецька
+ ...
Jun 18

Hello,

this phrase came up in a prepper video, and now I can't stop thinking of it. Especially: HOW would you translate this exchange? Imagine a demanding and irate customer and they want your translation to be just right, or else. So what do you do?

What you are to translate? "Why was six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine."

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Велика Британія
Local time: 04:37
Член (2000)
російська --> англійська
+ ...
I should think you could produce a similar pun in German Jun 18

I'm not a native German speaker and I'm not quite sure how it would work out, but the pun in English is based in the similarity in sound of "eight" and "ate". I imagine something could be done with the similarity of "acht" and some form of "achten".

[Edited at 2017-06-19 06:49 GMT]

liviu roth
Сполученi Штати Америки
Local time: 23:37
румунська --> англійська
+ ...
Freud :-) Jun 18

The well known pun about Freud's theory: "What comes between FEAR and SEX?" A: "FÜNF" !

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Данія
Член (2003)
датська --> англійська
+ ...
Some things are untranslatable... Jun 18

... but you could presumably find another pun or play on words or numbers instead.
That sort of challenge is one reason why machine translation has not put us out of work years ago - it is just not that simple.

Ricki Farn
Німеччина
Член (2005)
англійська --> німецька
Why was six afraid of seven? Jun 19

Because seven is a registered six offender.

Or the answer from Supernatural:
I assume it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating.

Texte Style
французька --> англійська
like Jun 20

liviu roth wrote:

The well known pun about Freud's theory: "What comes between FEAR and SEX?" A: "FÜNF" !

Since I can't just "like", I have to say, I never heard this joke before and it made me laugh.

Only problem would be if the preppers were also prudes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератори цього форуму
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why was six afraid of seven?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Пошук терміну
  • Замовлення