Need help translating Japanese
Thread poster: luki2211
Oct 21, 2012

Hey, I got a sword on a weapon market for quite a price, would like someone to translate text that is there. Link

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Collapse

Svitlana Selyvanova
Svitlana Selyvanova
Russian to English
+ ...
personal name Oct 21, 2012

長切源太郎 
It is a name and a surname of a person.
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the name, but the surname is Gentarō (源太郎)

MariyaN (X)
MariyaN (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to Russian
+ ...
Svetlana, it's all the other way round Oct 22, 2012

Svetlana_Hikari wrote:

長切源太郎 
It is a name and a surname of a person.
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the name, but the surname is Gentarō (源太郎)

What made you think that 源太郎 is a surname?
In Japanese, the last name (the surname) is put before the first name (the given name). Not to mention that the 源太郎 part, considering the characters used, is almost obviously the first name.

Masahiro Imafuji
Masahiro Imafuji  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:18
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
It is a name but hard to read Japanese names Oct 24, 2012

Hi. I am a native Japanese speaker so I can kind of help you with this.

Yes, Gentarō is a first name, げんたろう.
The other part of the name, 長切 is the person's last name.

I would read it as Nagakiri, ながきり, but we never know how to read Japanese names for sure
without asking them how exactly we should read their names.

No one can read my name (last and first name) at their first attempt.

Engraved is a name of swordsmith Nov 26, 2012

There are five Japanese characters plus one symbol here.
As already been answered by my colleague translators, first two characters show family name, followed by three-character first name.
This sword is made by swordsmith who bears this name.
There is a five-pedal flower shape on top which must be his trade symbol or logo.
You asked translation of these characters. As you know there is no way to translate proper nouns such as someone's name.
HTH

[Edited at 2
... See more
As already been answered by my colleague translators, first two characters show family name, followed by three-character first name.
There is a five-pedal flower shape on top which must be his trade symbol or logo.
You asked translation of these characters. As you know there is no way to translate proper nouns such as someone's name.
HTH

[Edited at 2012-11-26 17:25 GMT]
Collapse

Engraved is a name of swordsmith Nov 26, 2012

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help translating Japanese

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »