Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:47
English to Thai
+ ...
先方に打ち合わせておく Jul 31, 2012

翻訳の世界に、ISO 9000など、品質管理システムが普及されています。
私も多くの reference を要求されて、困りました。Reference になるような人物、取引先などに事情を説明し、了解を受けた上で情報提供の協力を受けしました(新規案件の企業が直接的に先方に情報を集めることも頻繁)。そのなかに、Referenceの案件に非常に協力できる人物などは欧米にかなりいます。

スントン L.

Kara ph.D.
Kara ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:47
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
直接のクライアントとエージェンシー Jul 31, 2012

スントンさん

ありがとうございます。

いずれにしても、事前にreferenceとしての了承を得ておく必要がありますよね。
ただ、少なくとも日本ではあまり一般的でない気がします。
実際にreferenceに使っても英語の確認メールが行ったら迷惑ということもありそうです。

欧米の取引先にお願いをして了承を得ることになるのでしょうが
その場合、エージェンシーでも協力が得やすいのでしょうか?

Kara

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Be careful Jul 31, 2012

Before you supply any references, please make sure that the agency you are giving out this information is legit, and its business practices are honest. If you give out your clients' information and also your rate sheet (which you obviously will, if you are looking for work), the person getting this information can use it to contact your clients and offer them services at the same rate or cheaper than yours, essentially taking your client away. We have heard about such client poaching several tim... See more
Before you supply any references, please make sure that the agency you are giving out this information is legit, and its business practices are honest. If you give out your clients' information and also your rate sheet (which you obviously will, if you are looking for work), the person getting this information can use it to contact your clients and offer them services at the same rate or cheaper than yours, essentially taking your client away. We have heard about such client poaching several times on these forums as well. Therefore, unless you are absolutely sure that your end client will stick with you no matter what, it is advisable to NOT disclose your direct clients' information. Information about agencies you worked for may be OK, because it is less likely for an agency to go to another agency trying to get your jobs. But anything can happen - ethics seems to be an "elastic concept" these days.
Another thing you may want to keep in mind is the agreements you have with your existing clients. I have NDAs signed with my clients where the NDA specifically prohibits disclosing information about the business relationship itself, in other words, I cannot tell anybody that I work or worked for them.
Whatever you do, make sure you are not jeopardizing your existing, working business relationships for an unknown, new client.
Best regards
Katalin
Collapse

Kara ph.D.
United States
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My concern as well Jul 31, 2012

Thank you Katalin.
You reminded me of a point where I was concerned about. As you mentioned, there is a risk of jeopardizing my work. Also, I don't think my contracting agencies and direct clients are in a position to kindly vouch for my professional skills and qualifications. Since I've never taken courses in linguistics or worked for a company in this industry, there is no appropriate person I can refer as a true professional reference.
Then, it may be better for me to work with di
... See more
Thank you Katalin.
You reminded me of a point where I was concerned about. As you mentioned, there is a risk of jeopardizing my work. Also, I don't think my contracting agencies and direct clients are in a position to kindly vouch for my professional skills and qualifications. Since I've never taken courses in linguistics or worked for a company in this industry, there is no appropriate person I can refer as a true professional reference.
Then, it may be better for me to work with direct clients or agencies that ask for sample translations rather than professional references.
Kara
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
WWA entries in your profile Jul 31, 2012

You can also point to your WWA entries in your profile page here, on ProZ. I see you only have one currently, but you can collect more, if you want. When a client enters a WWA for you, they essentially agree to be a reference for you.
Something to think about.
Katalin

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:47
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Referenceを要求する業者は基本的にお断り Aug 1, 2012

これは私の個人的なやり方ですが、業者やクライアントの翻訳者募集広告や直メールで"references"という条件が出された時点で、私は応募することをやめてしまいます。
Prozに入会した最初の頃は仕事をしたことのある知人やお客さん(業者)に頼んで"put in a good word"をしてもらったりもしましたが、その内、他の人たちに貴重な時間を割いてもらうことに心苦しく思うようになり、やめてしまいました。

私の経験から言うと、referenceの要求は北米の会社や業者が多いような気がします。

Katalinさんが書かれたように、私は自分のプロフィールのWWAを見れるようにし、しつこくreferenceを要求してくる相手には、プロフィールを見るように促しています。

Kara ph.D.
United States
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Referenceってそんなに重要でしょうか? Aug 1, 2012

Yasutomoさんの対応法、とても参考になりました。

先日の英国エージェンシーからのメール打診では、ちょうど時間があいていた上に相手方が急いでいるようだったのでOKの返信をしたのですが、その後に何度かやり取りをしたあげく最後に英国のreferencesがあるか、ないなら米国のreferencesはあるか、と何度も催促され、referencesってそんなに重要なの?と思った次�
... See more
Yasutomoさんの対応法、とても参考になりました。

先日の英国エージェンシーからのメール打診では、ちょうど時間があいていた上に相手方が急いでいるようだったのでOKの返信をしたのですが、その後に何度かやり取りをしたあげく最後に英国のreferencesがあるか、ないなら米国のreferencesはあるか、と何度も催促され、referencesってそんなに重要なの?と思った次第です。

会社の新規採用などであればいわゆる推薦状にあたるものの意味も何となくわかりますが、フリーランサーと取引する場合は最初にある程度のリスク(?)はどうしてもあるでしょうし、実際の仕事を通して品質を確認し信頼関係を築いてゆくしかないと思います。

KatalinさんやYasutomoさんのおっしゃるように、ProZのプロフィールやWWAを見てもらうのは良いですね。ただ、私の場合はあまり有効ではないかもしれません。
このトピックからは外れますが、私の経験に限ればProZ経由の仕事は概して単価が非常に低い。なので入会当初に数回案件をとっただけで、今はProZでの仕事は考えていません。だからWWAも増やすことができないというわけです。

いずれにしても、とても参考になりました。ありがとうございました。
Collapse

Sonoko Enami
Sonoko Enami  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:47
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
他人の考えはわからないので Aug 2, 2012

私も推薦状なんて意味ないよなあと思います。ヴィクトリア朝時代の小間使いじゃないんだから。でも、どういう理由かわかりませんが、意味があると思う人が世界のどこかにいるんですよね。

その場合、その人の仕事を獲得することが重要でなければ、面倒くさいし、お断りしています。

これはぜひ取りたい、という場合は、長いつき合いがあり、こちらからかなり恩も売っているエージェントの担当者や直接のクライアントにお願いしています。

それから、WWAはProzを通じて獲得した仕事についてではなくてもいいみたいですよ。私はProzを通じて仕事を獲得したことは一度もないのですが、WWAの書き込みがあります。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional referencesがありません

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »