Do you use a different background and font colour to protect your eyesight while typing?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 21:29
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 26, 2010

Hi friends,

The default background and font colours are white and black respectively while typing. I want to know if you change these colours so that there is less strain on your eyes. If so, could you share the same so that the others may also be benefitted because of your views and suggestions.

Regards,

Chopra

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
German to English
See recent discussion May 26, 2010

Good evening!

You may find this recent discussion useful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/health_and_lifestyle_for_language_professionals/171196-your_eye_and_long_hours_of_work.html

BR,
Niraja

Claudio Brandt
Claudio Brandt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In Word you can use blue background with white text May 26, 2010

Hi Chopra,

The earlier versions of Word allow you to change the default screen/text colors to what used to be the default in WordPerfect: blue background with white text.

Tools > Options > General > Blue background with white text.

Please note that this will not change the actual color of either the background or text (for printing, for example); the colors will only change in display mode.

In the 2007 version or later of Word, you can actu
... See more
Hi Chopra,

The earlier versions of Word allow you to change the default screen/text colors to what used to be the default in WordPerfect: blue background with white text.

Tools > Options > General > Blue background with white text.

Please note that this will not change the actual color of either the background or text (for printing, for example); the colors will only change in display mode.

In the 2007 version or later of Word, you can actually chose between several themes of dark background with clear text.

Page Layout > Page Background > Page Color > Theme Colors.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What hurts my eyes May 26, 2010

langclinic wrote:
The default background and font colours are white and black respectively while typing. I want to know if you change these colours so that there is less strain on your eyes.

What hurts my eyes is difficulty to see clearly, regardless of colour scheme. In fact, I prefer black on white, but then it must be clear, non-fuzzy, non-hazy text of a good size. I typically zoom my documents 200% or 300% while working on them. And I find that some fonts are more pleasing to the eye than others (right now I find that Candara is good for me).

David Eunice
David Eunice  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:59
Japanese to English
Never knew you could do this Word itself... May 27, 2010

Claudio Brandt wrote:
In the 2007 version or later of Word, you can actually chose between several themes of dark background with clear text.

I've been used to doing this in desktop properties.
right click on desktop > Appearance > advanced > set Window Text to an offwhite colour.

The text remains black, but I prefer that.
I wish the properties setting would work for websites,
situations such as this message entry box on Proz.

If I can, also change the typeface of both my source (Japanese)
and English target text. For English, Verdana was designed for
on-screen reading.

I will even change the leading (line spacing) to make things
easier to read. Using the zoom in Word, I generally use 12 pt
fonts and 17 pt leading zoomed to 140%. A 24-inch monitor makes
life much easier.

When I used to play chess, dark green and cream coloured chess
boards were considered best for match play. Only 'tourist chess boards,'
had black and true white squares.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:59
English
+ ...
And for Mac users, May 27, 2010

Claudio Brandt wrote:

in Word 2008 for Mac, it's Format > Background.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use a different background and font colour to protect your eyesight while typing?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »