Ill-tempered colleagues. Are we totally strangers to them?
Thread poster: Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:35
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 14, 2010

I'm not sure if I categorized my topic in the right forum, so if it's in the wrong forum, please correct me.

Today, I found a survey on the MSN Japanese page regarding a poll done by a British company on what makes people irrritating at office.

The question was asked to 1836 people, and 37% of the pollee answered ill-tempered colleagues. Also 1 out of 3 had the experience of one's stress increasing, and 1 out of 10 quit their job because of this.

Other fac
... See more
I'm not sure if I categorized my topic in the right forum, so if it's in the wrong forum, please correct me.

Today, I found a survey on the MSN Japanese page regarding a poll done by a British company on what makes people irrritating at office.

The question was asked to 1836 people, and 37% of the pollee answered ill-tempered colleagues. Also 1 out of 3 had the experience of one's stress increasing, and 1 out of 10 quit their job because of this.

Other factors of feeling irritated were slow computers (36%), rumors and talking behind others (19%), usage of specific jargons within the company and how their bosses talk (18%), talking with a loud voice on the phone (18%), safety and hygenic matters are too strict (16%), bad manners when using bathrooms (16%), workers who come late or never show up at meetings (16%), people who don't clean up after using the kitchen (15%), and the air-conditioning is not adequate (too cold) (15%).

The most hated phrase used within the office is "Thinking outside the box" (21%).

Rings a bell?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:35
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, it does ring a bell! Feb 14, 2010

Not having to deal with all that is part of the joy of beeing a freelancer, though from time to time I do miss the camaraderie with my co-workers. From that list I still have, obviously, computer problems and... no one to turn to for an immediate solution!

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:35
English to Polish
+ ...
yes Feb 14, 2010

It rings a huge, annoying 6:00 a.m. bell.

It's good to know it's not only some of my former colleagues who would leave the bathroom decorated with things that belonged in the sewer system

And the entire list is spot-on. If corporations had out-of-the-box thinkers, they'd put an end to open space offices, which contribute to most of the problems in the list.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:35
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
How true, Krzysztof! Feb 14, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

If corporations had out-of-the-box thinkers, they'd put an end to open space offices, which contribute to most of the problems in the list.

I second that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ill-tempered colleagues. Are we totally strangers to them?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »