Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
Member (2009)
French to English
Netbooks - cute but puny Apr 18, 2013

Ivano Conte wrote:

Really I do not know... I was thinking not more than 250$, but if you tell me that is impossible get a netbook with this amout, I will think about it.

You should be able to find a netbook for $250, or perhaps slightly more, however it will not be powerful enough to run most CAT tools (if any). Trados will sniffle pitifully and then die. I have a netbook myself and find it quite valuable for writing and communicating (email, skype) on the road. For my translation work, I use a full-sized desktop machine. I understand the need to start out with a budget, but in general, smaller machines are more expensive and powerful machines are more expensive. If you want a small, powerful machine, you will exceed the price of a less powerful desktop machine. Now you just need to decide whether price, portability, or power is most important. You can translate on a netbook if you translate directly into Word or another word processing program [This space reserved for all of the Linux/open source fans to list alternatives]. If your work is not very reliant on CAT tools, you might find a netbook satisfactory - at least for a time. The ergonomic problems are real and you will find that spending 8 to 12 hours on a netbook will get old very quickly.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:59
French to English
+ ...
Ultrabooks vs..... Apr 19, 2013

Ivano Conte wrote:

Châu Nguyễn, I will see something with those requirements.

Rachel Fell, what is the difference between Ultrabook and the other two?

As far as I know, ultrabooks are lighter in weight (important if you need to carry it) and more powerful than netbooks and similar - e.g. 4 MB capacity. Much neater in general.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 17:59
English to German
Ultrabook is a trademark Apr 19, 2013

Ivano Conte wrote:

what is the difference between Ultrabook and the other two?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notebook VS Netbook

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »