What is the realistic translation speed
Autor wątku: Brandis (X)
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 00:19
rosyjski > angielski
+ ...
In my pinion, it is definitely not more than 3000/day, regardless of the difficulty Nov 5, 2012

I think a reasonable maximum daily volume (for 8 hours of translation) is 2,000-3,000 words. I doubt anyone can produce high quality translation doing 5,000 every single day. (it might be sporadically possible -- once a year, something like that, when you work more like 15 hours on the translation).

1,000 words/hour -- it just makes me laugh. Even some MT programs work slower. (just a joke). No, 1000 words/hour is not humanly possible without doing a " get rid of it" kind of job,
... See more
I think a reasonable maximum daily volume (for 8 hours of translation) is 2,000-3,000 words. I doubt anyone can produce high quality translation doing 5,000 every single day. (it might be sporadically possible -- once a year, something like that, when you work more like 15 hours on the translation).

1,000 words/hour -- it just makes me laugh. Even some MT programs work slower. (just a joke). No, 1000 words/hour is not humanly possible without doing a " get rid of it" kind of job, using MT, and ignoring most translation principles.

[Edited at 2012-11-05 07:36 GMT]
Collapse

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
francuski > włoski
+ ...
Agree Jan 10, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Daniele Martoglio wrote:
Depends ALSO on the IQ of translator...
This is a truth that none wrote until now.. May be it's not a popular truth, but.. it's true!
I am sure that Rafa has an inteligence significant OVER normal.
Peak spead near 750-1000 wph are possible with high IQ, near or over the mensa border.

There are many translator which have peak spead near 250 wph. Meeting many many people, and knowning also translator, i can say that they (these 250wph translators) are people with NORMAL inteligence.

Are you kidding? I'm sorry but translation (and translation speed) is a bit more complex than to suggest that it all boils down to IQ. (which is far from an airtight measure of intelligence, it has many critics).

I think you are forgetting:
•Specific language pair
•Source text genre (technical, medical, legal, general etc)
•Use or non-use of CAT tools/TM’s/Machine translation etc
•Specialization (of the translator)
•Translators proficiency in source/target languages
•Translator’s talent for writing in their native language
•Translator’s training (translation theory, education and credentials)
•Translator’s experience (I think it’s obvious that a translator who’s been translating for 40 years might just be quicker than a newborn translator)
•Whether the translator is accustomed to the specific terminology, jargon, slang or other difficulties the source text challenges them with.
*This list is not exhaustive*

Of all the variables, I think IQ really only plays a small part(if any) - (probably helps more with research, speed of research). Not to mention that translation is quite an academic career anyway i.e. it attracts the more intellectually curious (mostly - sure there are exceptions).

Even Mensa says:
"IQ or Intelligence Quotient is an attempt to measure intelligence. This means many things to many people". http://www.mensa.org.uk/iq-levels/

Not to mention that it is based on the biggest pseudo-science out there: psychometrics.
(Well maybe not THE biggest, there's always Scientology's "dianetics", now that is true nonsense).

Anyway, why the obsession with speed? There's a reason there's an abundance of proverbs relating to this in English (and other languages):
•More haste, less speed
•Haste makes waste
Not to mention that every English-speaking child knows about the tortoise and the hare.

Personally, I prefer the Yiddish proverb "Speed is only good for catching flies".

Edited for a typo

[Edited at 2011-10-21 06:59 GMT]

john tseng
john tseng
Chiny
Local time: 12:19
angielski > chiński
i agree there is a relation between intelligence and translation speed Jul 13, 2013

There are many translator which have peak spead near 250 wph. Meeting many many people, and knowning also translator, i can say that they (these 250wph translators) are people with NORMAL inteligence.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Polska
angielski > polski
+ ...
Most translators can't do it, but definitely is humanly possible. Jul 21, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

1,000 words/hour -- it just makes me laugh. Even some MT programs work slower. (just a joke). No, 1000 words/hour is not humanly possible without doing a " get rid of it" kind of job, using MT, and ignoring most translation principles.

It just takes a translator who is not bottlenecked by typical limitations such as low typing speed, imperfect understanding of the source language, lack of confidence in the target one, lack of familiarity with the field etc.

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Why does anyone want to type that fast?

When you're a really fast typist, you'd need to make a dedicated effort to get below 300 chpm even at a leisurely pace of typing.

[Edited at 2013-07-21 21:13 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 21:19
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
In Memoriam
Naw, typing speed is the least important factor. Jul 21, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:
It just takes a translator who is not bottlenecked by typical limitations such as low typing speed, imperfect understanding of the source language, lack of confidence in the target one, lack of familiarity with the field etc.

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Why does anyone want to type that fast?

When you're a really fast typist, you'd need to make a dedicated effort to get below 300 chpm even at a leisurely pace of typing.

Maybe because my rates are a little bit above average, I am not given average texts. I don't have a problem to type away 7500 words in one day (last time I did that was when I translated a contract). I only receive stuff about new concepts and new technologies, where neither reference texts nor information from competitors exist on the web. To link the turnaround time for the development of such translations to typing speed would be suicidal and not very professional.

For my agency clients I work on particular accounts for a long time. As soon as those accounts turn into routine (after three or four years), after a particular style has been established, and after a tremendous amount of know-how has been accumulated, those accounts are passed on to other translators, and I move on to new business accounts, and the game starts anew.

Juan Pablo Sans
Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Meksyk
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
700 words/hour Apr 11, 2014

If it is about games, I can hit 700 words/hour, but it has to be a really easy game, with no dictionary required at all!

Konstantin Stäbler
Konstantin Stäbler  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Speed necessary for receiving rush rates Apr 12, 2014

Ty Kendall wrote:

Personally, I prefer the Yiddish proverb "Speed is only good for catching flies".

[Edited at 2011-10-21 06:59 GMT]

Speed is also good for receiving rush rates on rush jobs...

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Kanada
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

chiński > angielski
+ ...

Moderator tego forum
It's entirely possible Apr 17, 2014

juanpablosans wrote:

If it is about games, I can hit 700 words/hour, but it has to be a really easy game, with no dictionary required at all!

What surprises me about this entire thread is that there seems to be much less focus on the TYPE of content and LEVEL of difficulty overall.

There was another post earlier in this same thread where the person said that they've done 23000+ over the course of 3 days. I've done that. They were market research questionnaires - all verbal, colloquial stuff. It's possible. Was the content difficult? Not at all. How else could you push out all that in so short a time frame?

I don't have a high IQ at all, never pronounced to be "gifted" in any shape or form, but I am a very fast typist - highest speed recorded was 89 wpm (I feel like we're in a high school track and field competition as we talk about these things). Can I work like that non-stop for hours? Heck no. Your wrists hurt, your brain hurts, and no compensation is going to make that worthwhile.

Instead of obsessing about rates, when responding to such requests from agencies, I always have add notes like "pending on type of content", etc.

Just a thought.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the realistic translation speed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »