Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 05:19
Membru (2006)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Jul 17, 2009

Dear all,
my name is Tilmann. I sit in a wheelchair and need assistance and care all day long. For practical reasons, I decided four years ago to work at home as a translator. Meanwhile, I can say that this "idea" has worked out very well for me. Therefore, I would like to encourage other linguists with disabilities to follow my example if they can.
If you have a disability and need any advice, you can send me an e-mail. Please go to
... See more
Dear all,
my name is Tilmann. I sit in a wheelchair and need assistance and care all day long. For practical reasons, I decided four years ago to work at home as a translator. Meanwhile, I can say that this "idea" has worked out very well for me. Therefore, I would like to encourage other linguists with disabilities to follow my example if they can.
If you have a disability and need any advice, you can send me an e-mail. Please go to www.proz.com/profile/128202 and write me an e-mail specifying your kind of disability and how I can help you.
Kind regards,
Tilmann
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
din engleză în germană
thanks for sharing Jul 17, 2009

Hi Tilman

What a great idea to share your experience and offer your support.

Would you like to share more details?

Rebekka

[Edited at 2009-07-17 21:34 GMT]

Emilio Alba
Emilio Alba
Mexic
Local time: 21:19
Membru (2009)
din engleză în spaniolă
Very Well Done Jul 18, 2009

You set a very valuable example for all of us, every one of us has some degree disabilities, which can be overcome with intelligence and ability. The real chains that held us down are our own ideas. With my admiration.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germania
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Hut ab Jul 19, 2009

Hats off to you Tilmann for this post, your fortitude and your advocacy for the disabled.

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germania
Membru (2006)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks for your interest Jul 22, 2009

Dear Rebekka, Emilio, and Michele,
thank you very much for your kind words.
I am a thalidomide child, i.e. I was born with short and crippled arms and legs because of the substance thalidomide (in German "Contergan") which my mother had taken before I was born. However, I have no difficulties with translating and typing with a computer and do not need much help while I am working.
The advice I want to offer to new translators with disabilities can only be a personal one, i.e.
... See more
Dear Rebekka, Emilio, and Michele,
thank you very much for your kind words.
I am a thalidomide child, i.e. I was born with short and crippled arms and legs because of the substance thalidomide (in German "Contergan") which my mother had taken before I was born. However, I have no difficulties with translating and typing with a computer and do not need much help while I am working.
The advice I want to offer to new translators with disabilities can only be a personal one, i.e. tailor-made according to their disabilities and the problems and questions that may arise. Please understand that I shall only answer them in a personal and discrete way by e-mail.
All the best,
Tilmann
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spania
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
A very welcome posting!! Jul 22, 2009

Indeed! I can only encourage you to keep up with it and encourage as many people as you can to take this profession as it is simply ideal for people with reduced mobility and a love for languages, cultures and international communication.

I will be very happy to offer any advice on translation into Spanish to any people out there who might be considering this as a reasonable professional alternative and are in the same situation as yours over there.

Good luck and thank
... See more
Indeed! I can only encourage you to keep up with it and encourage as many people as you can to take this profession as it is simply ideal for people with reduced mobility and a love for languages, cultures and international communication.

I will be very happy to offer any advice on translation into Spanish to any people out there who might be considering this as a reasonable professional alternative and are in the same situation as yours over there.

Good luck and thank you for bringing this up!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators with disabilities

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »