Legal Translation or Audiovisual Translation? In urgent need of replies
Thread poster: emily83
emily83
emily83
Local time: 04:58
Jun 19, 2009

Good afternoon everyone,
I was hoping you could give me some advice regarding career options in the vast and highly competitive world of translating.
First let me tell you a bit about myself.
I graduated with a degree in Foreign Languages and Cultures in 2006 in Rome, the course focused mainly on literature, language and general knowledge studies.
Since then, I have given Business English and French Studies in a private institute and done the occasional translation from
... See more
Good afternoon everyone,
I was hoping you could give me some advice regarding career options in the vast and highly competitive world of translating.
First let me tell you a bit about myself.
I graduated with a degree in Foreign Languages and Cultures in 2006 in Rome, the course focused mainly on literature, language and general knowledge studies.
Since then, I have given Business English and French Studies in a private institute and done the occasional translation from Italian to English and vice-versa as well as English conversation lessons (I am fully bilingual).
However, I'm not getting any younger and I have come to realize after some careful consideration, that translation is the field for me: I would like to concentrate on my native languages (despite having a fairly good command of French and Spanish). The translation fields I'm most interested in are Legal Translation and Audiovisual Translation.
I have done some research and seen that the universities of Surrey and Roehampton offfer MA courses in AVT.The University of London offers a course in Legal Translation, but it's open specifically to law graduates and legal secretaries.
I am going to obtain a Tefl certificate to teach English, so I can start earning something in the meantime.
Are there any short courses in Legal or Avt translation for the year 2009/2010 in Italy where I can get a taste of these two fields?
Based on your experience what translation branch would you recommend? I don't mean to sound money minded but what sector is, shall we say, more marketable?
Also if there are any translators that have attended Roehampton Uni, what were your experiences like?
I apologize for my very long post.
Thanks so much,

[Edited at 2009-06-19 17:52 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 14:58
Chinese to English
Try this database ... maybe they have student feedback ... Jun 20, 2009

Hello emily

1 You could try this database ... maybe they have student feedback on the courses you are asking about ... http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/130469-manchester_or_imperial.html#1082779
2 Also perhaps you could try visiting the 'Italian' and 'Professional Development' Forums with your enquiry.

Lesley

emily83
emily83
Local time: 04:58
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Jun 20, 2009

Thanks Lesley, I'll take a look

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal Translation or Audiovisual Translation? In urgent need of replies

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »