Thread poster: Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:54
French to English
Jan 29, 2009

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I have searched the forums but couldn't find the answer.

I'm missing one section to complete the required part of my profile - years of experience. I can't seem to find a definition of what exactly is classed as experience, so I'm guessing it's up to me to decide.

I became a freelance translator in November 2008. Before that, I worked for a British company in France, and as the only French speak
... See more
Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I have searched the forums but couldn't find the answer.

I'm missing one section to complete the required part of my profile - years of experience. I can't seem to find a definition of what exactly is classed as experience, so I'm guessing it's up to me to decide.

I became a freelance translator in November 2008. Before that, I worked for a British company in France, and as the only French speaker on an English-speaking staff you can imagine I did lots of translating and interpreting; some formal, some informal.

So, can I say I have 10 years experience? Or should I only be counting the time that I've been freelance, as my job title in the company wasn't actually translator or interpreter? Maybe I should put 5 years as compromise, considering that I translated effectively part-time for 10 years?

I hope you can understand my dilemma - I don't want to cheat, but on the other hand I don't want to sell myself short either!

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Your professional experience Jan 29, 2009

Since when you are doing your profession?
And are there any differences (deficiency) between you and other 10 years experienced translators?

I think generally your answer would depend on these answers.

But, if you began your career 10 years ago, then you can say that you have 10 years of experience.

[Edited at 2009-01-29 09:04 GMT]

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In my opinion it depends on the work you've done Jan 29, 2009

I'm not an expert either for this question. But in my opinion it depends on the work itself
you have done during that employment, e.g. did you do serious translations on a special product/process/service on a regular basis or did you mainly write emails, make calls, write letters. I would decide on this basis whether to include these years as experience then.

Be confident!

Annett

[Edited at 2009-01-29 09:22 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Details in your profile Jan 29, 2009

Hi Caroline,

I solved this "issue" as follows:
"Experience" is the sum of all jobs I have done in my professional life. If you look at my profile, it says "*Professional* Experience", not "Translation Experience".

Best,
Aniello

[Edited at 2009-01-29 09:23 GMT]

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree with Aniello... Jan 29, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Hi Caroline,

"Experience" is the sum of all jobs I have done in my professional life. If you look at my profile, it says "*Professional* Experience", not "Translation Experience".

Best,
Aniello

I think this is an elegant solution to the 'problem.'

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
(off-topic) Jan 29, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Hi Caroline,

Best,
Aniello

Aniello, I have just read parts of your profile... and I love it You don't accept mails and so, I couldn't let you know by e-mail. I like your last sentence "Aniello Scognamiglio is a single fulltime freelancer, and if he were the Deutsche Bundesbank you would not find his profile on this site." Maybe I can use it when my end-clients try to pay me under their terms and not mine.

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your ideas Jan 29, 2009

Thanks for your ideas - you've helped me see the question from a different angle.

As I'm both an interpreter and translator, and I certainly did plenty of serious liaison interpreting throughout the 10 years I was with my previous company, I'm going to put 10 years.

I love your idea Aniello, but unfortunately it doesn't quite solve the issue of what to put on the standard profile information.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It does not explicitly say "translation"experience Jan 29, 2009

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

I think this is an elegant solution to the 'problem.'

Thanks, Derek,

I was born 49 years ago, in Germany, from south Italian parents.
Can I say I have 49 years of translation experience?
Actually, I grew up with Neapolitan and German.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please use it! Jan 29, 2009

Penelope Ausejo wrote:

Aniello, I have just read parts of your profile... and I love it You don't accept mails and so, I couldn't let you know by e-mail. I like your last sentence "Aniello Scognamiglio is a single fulltime freelancer, and if he were the Deutsche Bundesbank you would not find his profile on this site." Maybe I can use it when my end-clients try to pay me under their terms and not mine.

Thanks, Penelope,
I do not accept emails *through* ProZ but my email address is there.
Of course, you can use the "Deutsche Bundesbank" sentence.
All colleages are invited to do so.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why? Jan 29, 2009

Caroline Lakey wrote:

I love your idea Aniello, but unfortunately it doesn't quite solve the issue of what to put on the standard profile information.

I thought it does...

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
My apologies, my mistake Jan 29, 2009

I'm sorry, despite having checked I misread the heading on the profile.

I certainly didn't intend to criticize or cause any offence.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
??? Jan 29, 2009

Caroline Lakey wrote:

I'm sorry, despite having checked I misread the heading on the profile.

I certainly didn't intend to criticize or cause any offence.

???

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:54
French to English
+ ...
standard profile information Jan 29, 2009

Caroline Lakey wrote:

I see your point. On the standard profile page under 'Experience', I believe it reads 'Years of Translation Experience'. This is also stated on Aniello's standard page. It must be the default setting.

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's confusing... Jan 29, 2009

cmwilliams wrote:

I see your point. On the standard profile page under 'Experience', I believe it reads 'Years of Translation Experience'. This is also stated on Aniello's standard page. It must be the default setting.

It certainly seems to say "Years of translation experience" on the profile pages in general. However, when I go into the profile updater, under the heading "Professional history" the question is "Years of experience?".

My answer to that question would be 10 (years of experience in liaison interpreting and a more limited amount of translation), but if that information is then displayed on my profile as "Years of translaiton experience: 10" I would be uncomfortable that I would be misleading translation clients.

Obviously, a non-standardised profile display is one solution, but if I'm correct in thinking that outsourcers search by criteria which include the "years of translation experience" field, it doesn't really solve the issue.

Hmm...

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I got it, thanks. Jan 29, 2009

cmwilliams wrote:

Thanks, cmwilliams,

it does say "Years of *Translation* Experience" on the standard profile page. Then every translator should know what to do (I confused it with *Professional Experience* and need to change my data).

However, if you go to the My ProZ.com menu, Professional history sub-menu, there are two fields:
Years of experience:
Year started:

In my opinion "*Professional* Experience" should be used consistently throughout the ProZ website (detailing the professional experience in the standard profile).

I will submit a support request to the ProZ site staff.

[Edited at 2009-01-29 11:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Years of experience on Proz profile

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »