Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
Off topic: To celebrate Chinese New Year...
Inițiatorul discuției: Jianjun Zhang
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 15:25
din chineză în engleză
Clutching at straws Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:
Dear Lu Zou,

Thank you very much for your valuable input straight from New Zealand. As a Chinese immigrant in New Zealand, your observation and living experience are very convincing. Thank you for sharing with us your views!

As you may see when we celebrate the Chinese New Year here, this discussion was repeatedly and forcefully dragged to discuss the “bias in the Western media” by a white New Zealander. Under the cover of free speech in this Forum, she selectively used the negative news stories in New Zealand and tried very hard to use them as examples to support her argument that the Western media is accurate, balanced and unbiased. Any person, if he or she is not blind, would see clearly that she has been using one local news website in the New Zealand as the examples of the mainstream western media, and quoted 6-7 so-called top storied from there about the Chinese or Asian people in New Zealand, and most of them are about the Chinese committed bad crimes in NZ.

This is a gross insult to the Chinese people in New Zealand, because any person, with a little bit brain, would know by fact that the Chinese people at any place in the world are the people and community who are mostly hardworking, family-oriented, thrifty living and dedicated to work and business. But the biased news people and this white NZ drama queen seem not interested in those wonderful traits, quality and real life stories; they deliberately sensationalize a few crime stories and put them as top-line news. This does not reflect at all the Chinese people as a whole, but she thinks she can humiliate us by rubbing such NZ cow pies on our faces so as to relentlessly reinforce her believes in us. Are the Chinese people in NZ as the NZ news and she tried to portrait? Of course, they are not. You can tell better than anyone here.

When she tried so hard to make a point and rubbing the cow pies, she by accident showed us how biased and unbalanced the NZ news stories are. What she helped us to understand is, there is an undertaken agenda among the New Zealand news, as shown in those out of the proportion and unbalanced top-line news stories that were brought to us by this dedicated drama queen, that is, to deliberately demonize the Chinese people and their image, and make only retarded idiots believe that the Chinese people are the bad people and the source of problems.

I do not believe she is debating here, at least her messages did not show it. However, what shows well is her intention and action in helping to implement their undertaken agenda and dancing in their tones. Occasionally, she pretends she is misunderstood. Please do not be fooled by her, you must read all her messages.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 23:28]

The words of a desperate person clutching at straws? Time to fall on your sword Kevin? Are you sure you haven't made a mistake?

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Membru (2003)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
In the future, please stop casually using the word "diplomat" Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
I was fortunate enough to enjoy the friendship and hospitality of wonderful Chinese people. I was lucky to be able to do this while I was a student. It would not have been possible later as a diplomat.

Kevin Yang wrote:
What a joke! The NZ government must have a shortage of the qualified diplomat.

Indeed, I tried but I just could not see any diplomatic quality in her. Someone must have made a mistake.

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Indeed, I was not suited to diplomatic work and I never became a diplomat, but I did represent NZ in Taiwan once interviewing business immigration applicants.

In 1989 I spent 3 weeks in Taipei interviewing about 100 people about their business backgrounds It was very interesting. Through that I was able to get some feel for the economic history of Taiwan from about 1960 on. Taiwan definitely went through several development phases during that time.

I was also fortunate enought to be a junior member of the NZ officials who hosted Hu Yaobang on his visit to NZ in 1985.

Thank you for clarifying that. Otherwise you gave bad name to the NZ Government. In the future, please stop using the word "diplomat" when you have to refer to your 3 weeks work experience abroad. IMO the correct word for that is "a temp". How come you did not continue with that job? Project ended or you got fired? Please do not tell me. I'd rather not to know.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 18:52]

Kevin Yang
Membru (2003)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
Speak English, please. Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

The words of a desperate person clutching at straws? Time to fall on your sword Kevin? Are you sure you haven't made a mistake?

Interesting expression, but did not make any sense. IMO whoever is surrounded by the ocean perhaps is always "clutching at straws". I can understand your uncomfortable feeling to be exposed. You were hidden for quite a long time, and you surfaced since we were discussing Shen6. Now, you have had a full display.

You are not just expressing a different view point here. You are to help with demonizing the Chinese people, even though you pretended to be an innocent messenger. If you still have the normal state of mind, you should remember my debate with Wenjer many months ago. We have very different viewpoints on certain issues. But we know how to respect each other for being different. After all the discussions were over, we are still able to discuss other subjects. I even received an invitation from him to visit Taiwan. Your case is different. You have an agenda.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 18:50]

Kevin Yang
Membru (2003)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
But you felt it and experienced it from me. Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:
Interesting request! Unfortunately I do not have one like you do at this moment. If it would make you feel better, what the heck, I could pick up one right now. That would be to smack any Chinese demonizer right on the head with force and tell him or her loud and clear: Learn to coexist with the Chinese people, and I do not put up with any of your prejudices toward the Chinese people.

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Good. That's useful. It works both ways of course.

But you felt it and experienced it from me. You just have not learned the lesson yet. The lesson is, when you demonize the Chinese people, you get what you received here.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 18:54]

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
Opportunism Feb 5, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Here is one for you from my own experience. Almost all foreign students I knew in Beijing were approached by locals who wanted to 'use them' to buy things for them at the Friendship Store or in Hong Kong. We tried to understand...but, it seems opportunistic?

Interesting. Usually, people ask for a favor when they need it. Before the Soviet collapsed, people in East Europe used to asked me for favors. I would turn down some of the requests, but still I did a lot of favors. Why? Because I need friends and smiling around and alone doesn't make any friends. Friends do each other favors. If you don't want to do someone a favor for any reason, just say no, but don't judge because you don't really know why he needs the favor.

Thank you Wenjer. If you don't want to 'be used', just say no.That's good advice.

When I mentioned that situation, the Chinese doctor and one of our peer's friends, the woman who asked him to pretend to be her husband and go to the Australian Embassy, were in the back of my mind. IMO it all looks like the same thing - opportunism.

It's a shame, the doctor really put his career and reputation on the line. Why would he do that? He didn't need the money.He used his position 'to help someone out'perhaps? He also made money out of it - a deal too good to be true, the prosecution says. The defence says he didn't know where the drugs were going, he thought they were going to China for legitimate purposes. Did he think no-one would notice. It's an interesting case...

[Edited at 2006-02-05 08:11]

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
My agenda Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

You are not just expressing a different view point here. You are to help with demonize the Chinese people, even though you pretended to be an innocent messenger. If you still have the normal state of mind, you should remember my debate with Wenjer many months ago. We have very different viewpoints on certain issues. But we know how to respect each other for being different. After all the discussions were over, we still able to discuss other subjects. I even received an invitation from him to visit Taiwan. Your case is different. You have an agenda.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 05:19]

My agenda is rational and open debate in an international forum. I have to say I am not overkeen on sentiment and emotion. I like opinions to be supported with argument.

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
Which rule is that? Feb 5, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

that work hard to meet clients' expectations and deadlines. You are a self-labeled 'diplomat' freelancing in wrangling. I wonder what your intention here is. It is against the forum rule to say what you have been saying, but Kevin has been giving you a chance for self-exposure and incidently, for us to see deeper in your mind.

Sorry, which forum rule are talking about here? I am flattered that people are interested in whatever it is that I have to offer. I suppose I must be useful to the debate. I am not the only one that has been 'self-exposing' though am I.

Kevin Yang
Membru (2003)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
Hmmm, did not see any rational stuff... Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

My agenda is rational and open debate in an international forum. I have to say I am not overkeen on sentiment and emotion. I like opinions to be supported with argument.

Hmmm, did not see any rational stuff from you. Time to get a new dictionary and update your definitions.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 06:12]

Kevin Yang
Membru (2003)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
I will be the first one to close my eyes. Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I am not the only one that has been 'self-exposing' though am I.

I will be the first one to close my eyes. Can't imagine what a torture that would be.

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
The crimes are a NZ problem because they happen on NZ soil Feb 5, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

The STUFF reports also mentioned that "a 25-year-old Auckland woman" was busted together with the "23-year-old Chinese man", but you only mentioned the "23-year-old Chinese man". As to the "Chinese heart surgeon", the reports didn't even mention he was a Chinese citizen or Chinese national, but you call him "Chinese". Is that because he bears a Chinese name or he looks like a Chinese? Is this what you called "unbiased"? Or, is this some sort of racial discrimination as Jianjun mentioned? Even though all of them are Chinese citizens, you should see the crimes as problems of your own country. Do you still have difficulties to understand "橘生淮南则为橘,生于淮北则为枳"?

Thank you Yueyin.

I think a later report said both the man and woman were Chinese. The Chinese heart surgeon? - I think that was how he was referred to on the TV news report.

It is a problem of our country, correct. Anything that happens here is our problem. But the Chinese authorities helped to catch the man and woman, I think. Or they are helping the NZ authorities to follow it up.So there is an international aspect.

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
What we have come to expect Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I am not the only one that has been 'self-exposing' though am I.

I will be the first one to close my eyes. Can't imagine what a torture that would be.

Is this clever, witty or puerile? I guess it is what we have come to expect...

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
To Romania from New Zealand Feb 5, 2006

li cullen wrote:

Hi, everyone,

This is the 3rd Chinese Spring Festival I spent in Romania. I have to admit that I am lucky enough to be invited by Chinese consulate in Constanta to spend this particular holiday with them at their residence. So was the last Spring Festival, and the one before that...except for the consulates this year are younger people, nevertheless, they are the greatest people in this world.
We watched the show,ate the dumplings prepared by consulates themselves,met some other Chinese people who have been living in Romania for years.
I used to think of Spring Festival just an usual day, the day that I did't have to get up early in the morning to go to work. After some years of living in a foreign country, I treat this day a very spacial day each year in my life.

Happy Chinese New Year to you and your families!

Li Cullen

Nice to hear from Romania! I have been meeting a number of new settlers from Romania in Christchurch recently. I heard there were Chinese living there. It's been very cold there this year hasn't it.

I always remember our Christmas get-together (as foreign students) with one of the Embassy staff in Beijing. Our first 'White Christmas'. We all shared our foodparcels, Christmas cake from home, and other treats. Your post reminded me of that.

From what I hear, Romania sounds like a nice country, interesting geography, interesting culture and customs. And of course it has been friends with China for a long time.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 04:25
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
A happy new year too late to say. Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Happy Chinese New Year!

Period.

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
Better late than never! Feb 5, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Happy Chinese New Year!

Period.

Better late than never! No-one else noticed Li's nice post, I wonder why.

chica nueva
chica nueva
din chineză în engleză
Gratuitous annoyance Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:
Interesting request! Unfortunately I do not have one like you do at this moment. If it would make you feel better, what the heck, I could pick up one right now. That would be to smack any Chinese demonizer right on the head with force and tell him or her loud and clear: Learn to coexist with the Chinese people, and I do not put up with any of your prejudices toward the Chinese people.

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Good. That's useful. It works both ways of course.

But you felt it and experienced it from me. You just have not learned the lesson yet.

[Edited at 2006-02-05 05:00]

Do you pride yourself this? on annoying people with gratuitous partisan remarks? It is not conducive to anything is it. It is just irritating and unnecessary and I don't think I am the only one that finds it so. What is the point of it. To teach 'your enemies' a lesson. There are other words for it.

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To celebrate Chinese New Year...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »