Off topic: Can I translate articles I am interested..
Thread poster: water drops
water drops
water drops  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 13, 2015

Hi,

A question I have in mind recently:
Can I translate English articles I read in newspapers or internet, of which the content I really like, into my mother tongue language, and put into my website? I'd like to take it as a hobby or sth.. Of course, I will cite the source of original articles. But I am still not sure if this action is against copyright. Do I need the permission of the authors?

Thank you for your interest in answering.

Have a nice d
... See more
Hi,

A question I have in mind recently:
Can I translate English articles I read in newspapers or internet, of which the content I really like, into my mother tongue language, and put into my website? I'd like to take it as a hobby or sth.. Of course, I will cite the source of original articles. But I am still not sure if this action is against copyright. Do I need the permission of the authors?

Thank you for your interest in answering.

Have a nice day.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:39
Chinese to English
理论上可能触犯了人家版权。。。 Apr 13, 2015

。。。但实际上不会惹麻烦的。

网上有部分内容(如维基百科)用了一种自由版权,明确说你只要说明内容来源就可以自由引用和使用。另有部分内容更加以限制了,说不能随便抄用。但实际上,你要是为了自己的兴趣而翻译它,不是拿做商业用途,那么原网站根本不可能去抓你的。

你要是要做专业翻译的话,要记住自己也是专业作家,你也是内容创作者,这些版权问题值得你深入了解,以后有可能会影响到自己的作品!

water drops
water drops  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢 Apr 13, 2015

谢谢Phil Hand的详细回复和提醒。

我确实想当作兴趣。您说的这个是我没有考虑到的:
”你要是要做专业翻译的话,要记住自己也是专业作家,你也是内容创作者,这些版权问题值得你深入了解,以后有可能会影响到自己的作品!“
请教如何深入了解这种翻译他人作品的版权问题。

leeshin
leeshin
China
yes, conditions apply Jul 10, 2015

yes you can, your work is just like sharing something in social networking sites. translations of main stuffs in your language will spread the news among your country people easily but your website will be recorded as spam if you tried to promote your site through the contents

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I translate articles I am interested..

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »