中国真正合格的“中译英”人才不足百人

http://autoweb.ycu.edu.cn/zzz/sjc/view.asp?catid=3163&id=16822

既然全国合格的中译英人才不足百人,为何还要把把英译中和中译英一起考呢?

另外,它对翻译速度的要求也有点偏高。

我觉得,真正职业的中译英人才,应该有长期的英语国家的生活经验,对其文化有深入的研究和切身的体会。

所以,没有考过,不要太气馁。

[Edited at 2013-08-20 10:04 GMT]

呵呵,版主没仔细看报道啊:
“我们目前面临的问题是,中国真正合格的“中译英”人才不足百人,人才的匮乏将导致文化上的“逆差”。试想,有多少国外的翻译人员能够帮助我们把中国的政治、经济、文化、电视、电影作品翻译成外文?国际上一般通行的是简洁的方法,就是把外语翻成母语,而不要试图把母语翻成外语。比如法国人,他要把法文书翻成英文,法国人不一定懂英文,但很多英国人是懂法文的。同样,法国人会英文的多的是,不要说十个八个人,就是十万人他们都有。试想,中国需要雇十万个外国人把中文所有的资料译成英文,我们找得到吗?因为种种原因,懂中文的外国人本来就不多,真正的汉学家就更少,所以这项我们并不擅长的工作历史性地落到了我们自己的头上。”

“中国真正合格的“中译英”人才不足百人”,耸人听闻而已,这里的“中译英”人才应该指“能够帮助我们把中国的政治、经济、文化、电视、电影作品翻译成外文”的翻译大师。

合格的标准是有不同层次的,很多时候适用就行,不需要人人都成为大师,也不可能人人都成为大师。

最后一句话说对了:试想,中国需要雇十万个外国人把中文所有的资料译成英文,我们找得到吗?因为种种原因,懂中文的外国人本来就不多,真正的汉学家就更少,所以这项我们并不擅长的工作历史性地落到了我们自己的头上。”

[修改时间: 2013-08-20 10:42 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
我想海外华人胜任中翻英的不会少 Aug 20, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

中国真正合格的“中译英”人才不足百人

http://autoweb.ycu.edu.cn/zzz/sjc/view.asp?catid=3163&id=16822

既然全国合格的中译英人才不足百人,为何还要把把英译中和中译英一起考呢?

另外,它对翻译速度的要求也有点偏高。

我觉得,真正职业的中译英人才,应该有长期的英语国家的生活经验,对其文化有深入的研究和切身的体会。

I agree with what J.H. is saying, especially the part about the huge advantage a native Chinese-speaking immigrant has - specifically in the area of Chinese-to-English translation - attributable to the long-term exposure to and immersion in an English-speaking society and environment. Of course someone who doesn't have this advantage could also overcome the limitations and do a decent job; but IMO such a feat is that much tougher to achieve and rarer to come by.

[Edited at 2013-08-21 05:37 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
那个数据可是翻译界的权威人物说的 Aug 21, 2013

nigerose wrote:

“中国真正合格的“中译英”人才不足百人”,耸人听闻而已,这里的“中译英”人才应该指“能够帮助我们把中国的政治、经济、文化、电视、电影作品翻译成外文”的翻译大师。

我觉得他不会信口开河的。当然,这里的中译英应该是指内容包罗万象的综合性的翻译。

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
“砖家” Aug 21, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

nigerose wrote:

我觉得他不会信口开河的。当然,这里的中译英应该是指内容包罗万象的综合性的翻译。

这年头,“砖家”的话你也信?
——————————开玩笑了,别介意。

按他这个逻辑,也可以说:中国真正合格的“英译中”人才也不足百人。
其实,翻译大师本来就是凤毛麟角。更多的是翻译匠,不要沦为“翻译民工”就好。
翻译资格考试,就是为了选拔翻译匠,至于哪个翻译匠能成为翻译大师,得看他/她的天赋与努力,可能更多的是天赋。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
in the hundreds Aug 21, 2013

nigerose wrote:

这年头,“砖家”的话你也信?
——————————开玩笑了,别介意。

按他这个逻辑,也可以说:中国真正合格的“英译中”人才也不足百人。
其实,翻译大师本来就是凤毛麟角。更多的是翻译匠,不要沦为“翻译民工”就好。
翻译资格考试,就是为了选拔翻译匠,至于哪个翻译匠能成为翻译大师,得看他/她的天赋与努力,可能更多的是天赋。

I beg to differ on this. Of course I have no firsthand knowledge. But even going by Phil's assessment here in the past and from my own observation, qualified Chinese-to-English translators that hail from Mainland China indeed seem to be in a very small minority. So I think the person is indeed talking about "qualified personnel" and not "laureates". It depends on where one sets the bar. Perhaps the person's bar is set a little higher. On the bright side, hopefully that estimate is going to increase with time.

As for the wisecrack about "砖家", I actually could appreciate that.

[Edited at 2013-08-22 13:49 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
IMO ... Aug 21, 2013

As they mature, next-generation immigrants are more than capable of handling a lot of the Chinese-to-English translation work.

We always talk about globalization. So why fret?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Aug 21, 2013

wherestip wrote:

I agree with what J.H. is saying, especially the part about the huge advantage a native Chinese-speaking immigrant has - specifically in the area of Chinese-to-English translation - attributable to the long-term exposure to and immersion in an English-speaking society and environment. Of course someone who doesn't have this advantage could also overcome the limitations and do a decent job; but IMO such a feat is that much tougher to achieve and rarer to come by.

wherestip wrote:

As they mature, next-generation immigrants are more than capable of handling a lot of the Chinese-to-English translation work.

[Edited at 2013-08-22 03:04 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
翻译匠 vs. 翻译大师 Aug 22, 2013

wherestip wrote:

So I think the person is indeed talking about "qualified personnel" and not "laureates". It depends on where one sets the bar. Perhaps the person's bar is set a little higher. On the bright side, hopefully that estimate is going to increase with time.

那人的标准一定是设得太高了。

大量的工作是靠“翻译匠”去做的。作为翻译,能够努力达到合格翻译匠的标准就不错了。即使是翻译大师,他也不是什么东西都能翻的万能大师。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
大师 Aug 22, 2013

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

So I think the person is indeed talking about "qualified personnel" and not "laureates". It depends on where one sets the bar. Perhaps the person's bar is set a little higher. On the bright side, hopefully that estimate is going to increase with time.

那人的标准一定是设得太高了。

大量的工作是靠“翻译匠”去做的。作为翻译,能够努力达到合格翻译匠的标准就不错了。即使是翻译大师,他也不是什么东西都能翻的万能大师。

Yueyin,

I don't believe there is such a thing as a 翻译大师. IMO it's nothing but empty flattery. I agree with you, everyone has a blind spot, although some blind spots are more severe than others.

[Edited at 2013-08-22 13:05 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
所谓大师 Aug 22, 2013

wherestip wrote:

I don't believe there is such a thing as a 翻译大师. IMO it's nothing but empty flattery.

Steve,

你说得很对。中国杰出的翻译很多,那些当官的只是看不见而已。普通翻译与翻译大师之间没有绝对界线,水平高低只是相对而言。

翻译人员被视为“翻译匠”、“翻译民工”,正是中国翻译行业的悲哀。当然,有些翻译以“翻译匠”、“翻译民工”自嘲,则又另当别论。在美国,人们对翻译还是很尊敬的。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
也说说翻译大师 Aug 22, 2013

我觉得,严格地说,目前中国的翻译大师是很稀少的。我们甚至不知道谁是大师,他在哪儿,所以只好常常搬出杨宪益、傅雷等前辈们来做榜样。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Doing a good job and contributing to mankind Aug 22, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

我觉得,严格地说,目前中国的翻译大师是很稀少的。我们甚至不知道谁是大师,他在哪儿,所以只好常常搬出杨宪益、傅雷等前辈们来做榜样。

IMO, they were translators who did a good job and contributed to society using their skills that were rare at the time. Whether they could or should be elevated to a certain status, put on a pedestal and idolized is anyone's opinion.

But I agree with you, everyone has the right to have heroes, and emulate the ones they have respect for.

IMO, the thing not to do is to engage in endless criticism of other people's work with the sole purpose of tearing them down and glorifying oneself. As we briefly discussed in one of the threads before, a lot of time the criticism levelled towards some of the older-generation famous translators is entirely groundless and erroneous anyway. IMO, those who operate like that often end up making a mockery of themselves.

[Edited at 2013-08-23 11:57 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
^.~.^ Aug 22, 2013

That's supposed to be my ears pricking up at the mention of my name. Don't think I'll get a job as an emoticon designer.
wherestip wrote:

I don't believe there is such a thing as a 翻译大师. IMO it's nothing but empty flattery.

赞。大师这种说法是虚的,没有意义的。有好的翻译,也有好的老师,如果有个好翻译也能做好老师的话,有可能会成为权威。其实,我很期待权威的人出现,最近我跟朋友聊翻译问题时他跟我说,为什么每一句话都要花那么长时间?我觉得其中一个很重要的因素是,没有中英翻译的权威课本或者权威理论。我想,假如有一套的标准处理方法,大家可以学学,然后你不一定要服从,但是因为有标准在,每个译者在摸索自己的翻译路子中有地标可用。
就很简单的例子:虽然...但是。我就希望谁能写一本书说『虽然...但是一律翻译成__...but。』后面的人可以不同意,可以偏向用although或者偏向把两句的顺序翻掉等其它处理方式,就是要有个正统才可以改革。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Keyboard Art Aug 22, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

That's supposed to be my ears pricking up at the mention of my name. Don't think I'll get a job as an emoticon designer.

I've seen a real cute one way back when when I used to hang out at the Yahoo stock message boards. It was a figure popping its head up from under a table with its fingers on both sides clinging to the tabletop. I saved it at the time, but now it's buried in one of the external hard drives somewhere that I'll probably never revisit again.

."". ."",
| | / /
| | / /
| | / /
| |/ ;-._
} ` _/ / ;
| /` ) / /
| / /_/\_/\
|/ / |
( ' \ '- |
\ `. /
| |
| |

It's not hard to imagine, since it was the Yahoo stock message board, there was plenty of people giving each other the finger too.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
That didn't come out quite right Aug 22, 2013

http://www.flipmytext.com/ascii/

But here's the victory sign.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

如何寻找优质翻译公司

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »