Ying Wang  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 08:17
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
赞识人的能力 Jun 6, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

不完全在于你的译文。在说话、沟通过程中就能判断一个人是否考谱。我在判断一个人时,看他的发言、知识、判断能力、决断能力等等。在这些方面站得住脚,客户一下子就可能“牵挂”到你。

我看主流的FORUM,总能一下子自然地把人分出等级。My immediate responses:

A. Oh my! this is a genius.

B. Well, he is good.

c. Don't know. Need further observation

D. He don't know what he's talkin' about.

E. Well, this guy don't know nothing. Is he from the earth?

在每个语种中,总是有几个A类的,他们的发言让我心潮澎湃。比如南非一个(男的), 巴西一个(男), 法国一个(女), 美国几个(一个女,干德文的,几个男、女,干中文的),英国一个TOM,新加坡两个(一男一女),中国几个(二女,其他都是男)等等。看他们,比看名家的散文还要激动。你想想看,这些人,你把项目交给他,能不放心吗?不用什么测试,直接发项目就是了。他们不可能做不好。这些人都是做得好的,年入12万以上。基本上来说,只要有新客户找他们, 他们通过邮件沟通,几个回合下来,客户就会打消测试啊,REFERENCE啊之类的念头,直接就用他们了。

新人起码要做到C以上,否则,前方的道路会很崎岖。

等有时间我举几个D和E的例子。 NO OFFENDING。

[Edited at 2013-06-06 03:21 GMT]

真有趣,超赞您识人和归纳总结的能力。等着看D和E的例子。:)

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 07:17
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Double negative construction Jun 6, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

常会听到某些西裔和非裔美国人使用 “This guy doesn't know nothing” 的句型。这是一种 double negative construction。据说西班牙语和葡萄牙语允许使用 double negative 结构,故其后裔说英语时可能会受影响。但我认为,尽管人们能够理解这句话的意思,但正确的说法应该是:This guy doesn't know anything.

"Doesn't know nothing" vs. "Doesn't know anything"
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic21380.html
'Anything' is the appropriate form for a question or negative statement. You chose 'nothing' and created a double negative (doesn't know nothing ), which is not permitted in standard English.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Kanada
Mitglied (2011)
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...

Moderator dieses Forums
That's right Jun 6, 2013

ysun wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

常会听到某些西裔和非裔美国人使用 “This guy doesn't know nothing” 的句型。这是一种 double negative construction。据说西班牙语和葡萄牙语允许使用 double negative 结构,故其后裔说英语时可能会受影响。但我认为,尽管人们能够理解这句话的意思,但正确的说法应该是:This guy doesn't know anything.

[/quote]

"Don't know nothing" here, IMO (and strictly IMO!) I feel that if anything this is used along the lines of slang- to stress that sense of ridicule where this guy "really don't know nothing". It's like saying "that dude don't know jack".

In my moments of frustration particularly when acting as a proofreader, this phrase often pops out of my mouth

In Portuguese indeed double negation is used. For example, "nao sei nada sobre o amor" is just "I don't know anything about love", but I am sure some PT native speakers will say "I don't know nothing about love".

I believe the inability to pick out grammar mistakes, over-extension of grammar usage (such as double negation here- a "direct" translation) is also another indicator to the person's familiarity with the language. This is why I am a believer when I say that one's correspondence by email with agencies/clients are often most indicative of one's level of comprehension of a certain language.

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:17
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
This I do agree with Jun 7, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

I believe the inability to pick out grammar mistakes, over-extension of grammar usage (such as double negation here- a "direct" translation) is also another indicator to the person's familiarity with the language.

I think I have understood Rita's remarks above, correct me if the following inferences are wrong:

People easily betray themselves to be novices in a language simply by finding it necessary to point out something that’s nothing unusual for the every-day users of the language.

It' simply safer to refrain from correcting others in relation to language usage unless one is absolutely sure that he himself is a born native speaker.

(updated:)
Actually, there is a western tradition about how to do it correctly by the right person such as gramarians. It was mentioned nearly 2000 years ago by the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius in his Meditations: "not to correct bad grammar in others, but to use the right expression shortly
afterwards".

[Edited at 2013-06-07 04:28 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
希望我的話沒有被誤讀 Jun 7, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

I believe the inability to pick out grammar mistakes, over-extension of grammar usage (such as double negation here- a "direct" translation) is also another indicator to the person's familiarity with the language. This is why I am a believer when I say that one's correspondence by email with agencies/clients are often most indicative of one's level of comprehension of a certain language.

用雙否來表達單否定的用法在某些英語NATIVE地區是很正常的,不是翻譯自西班牙或葡萄牙語。當然這只限於口語。跟那些地方的人說話你只能說 don't do nothing,說了 don't do anything, 對方反而認為你不會說他們的話。

美國有些正軌大學的某些教授,經常故意這樣說話, 目的是活躍氣氛。所以這個夠不上語言上的一個問題。當然,在正軌的業務E_MAIL里,這樣說不妥,但是如果對方PM為了放輕鬆,開始跟你說些俏皮話,你只能用這樣的語體回應才會讓對方感到你不BORING。

[Edited at 2013-06-07 04:01 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Grammar discussion Jun 7, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

People easily betray themselves to be novices in a language simply by finding it necessary to point out something that’s nothing unusual for the every-day users of the language.

It' simply safer to refrain from correcting others in relation to language usage unless one is absolutely sure that he himself is a born native speaker.

This website is registered in a free country where people can fully enjoy freedom of speech, not in an authoritarian or autocratic country.

The discussion about double negation is about what standard a professional translator, not some of the ordinary users of the language, should comply with.

The above-mentioned question is at elementary level. One doesn't have to be a native English speaker to answer the question correctly.

[Edited at 2013-06-08 02:28 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Kanada
Mitglied (2011)
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...

Moderator dieses Forums
离我家附近有一个社区 Jun 7, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

用雙否來表達單否定的用法在某些英語NATIVE地區是很正常的,不是翻譯自西班牙或葡萄牙語。當然這只限於口語。跟那些地方的人說話你只能說 don't do nothing,說了 don't do anything, 對方反而認為你不會說他們的話。

。。。。那儿的青少年都就是这样说话的。说don't do anything虽不至于被人认为你不会说他的话,但绝对无法和该区的人打成一片。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
反之亦然 Jun 7, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

离我家附近有一个社区
jyuan_us wrote:

。。。。那儿的青少年都就是这样说话的。说don't do anything虽不至于被人认为你不会说他的话,但绝对无法和该区的人打成一片。

反过来也可以这样说,那种社区的青少年要想与主流社会打成一片,也得有一个磨合的过程。例如,当他们参加升学考试时,如果遇到以下链接中的选择题,他们到底是应该选择 (b) 还是 (c) 呢?

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic21380.html

正确答案显然只有一个。所以问题就在于,到底是错误的服从正确的,还是正确的迎合错误的?

在洛杉矶市中心( 就是 Elisa Lam 遭遇不幸的 Cecil Hotel 附近)也有一些社区,那儿的青少年也是这样说话的。但我绝不会试图与他们打成一片。

[Edited at 2013-06-07 19:04 GMT]

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

翻译公司规模与自由译者的关系

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »