Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 18:07
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Aug 18, 2003

以下是加州罢免州长特别选举的部分英文文字和中文翻译。这是来自州政府的官方翻译,如有重大错误各县有权改正。

1. Shall GRAY DAVIS be recalled (removed)from the office of Governor of California?
是否应该将 GRAY DAVIS 罢免 (免职) 其担任 California 州长的职务?
差点意思,但还算不上重大错误。

2. Generally dedicates up to 3% of General Fund revenues annually to fund state and local... See more
以下是加州罢免州长特别选举的部分英文文字和中文翻译。这是来自州政府的官方翻译,如有重大错误各县有权改正。

1. Shall GRAY DAVIS be recalled (removed)from the office of Governor of California?
是否应该将 GRAY DAVIS 罢免 (免职) 其担任 California 州长的职务?
差点意思,但还算不上重大错误。

2. Generally dedicates up to 3% of General Fund revenues annually to fund state and local (excluding school and community college) infrastructure projects.
通常每年提供最高「总合基金」收入的 3% 作为当地 (包括学校和社区大学) 基础设施计画的基金。
a) up to b) "state and ..." 而且,“地方”较好 c) excluding
b和c算重大错误。

3. Prohibits state and local governments from classifying any person by race, ethnicity, color, or national origin. Various exemptions apply.
禁止州与当地政府依照种族、族群、肤色或国籍将任何人加以分类。适用于各种豁免情况。

4. Pursuant to Section 11020, California Election Code, the undersigned registered qualified voters of the State of California, hereby give notice that...
依据「加州选举法」第 11020 节,并加上加州合格选民的签名登记,特此通知...

5. This effort is being led by the former Chairman of the State Republican Party, who was censured by his own party.
目前这些行动是由前任共和党州务卿所领导与推动,连共和党本身都对其行为不表认同而予以谴责

6. 如果您签署该申请书,有可能会导致在本夏季举行额外选举,纳税人必须另外负担 20 百万美金到 40 百万美金的费用。
这是什么地方的中文讲法?东南亚?

其他小错,不一一赘述。
Collapse

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Good post, Let's do similiar to improve quality in the future! Aug 18, 2003

[quote]Yongmei Liu wrote:

~{RTOBJGY5D2?7VS"NDNDWV:MVPND7-Rk!#UbJG@4WTV]U~8.5D9Y7=7-Rk#,HgSPVX4s4mNs8wOXSPH(8DU}!#~}

~{JG7qS&8C=+~} GRAY DAVIS ~{0UCb~} (~{CbV0~}) ~{Fd5#HN~} California ~{V]3$5DV0Nq~}?
~{2n5cRbK

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Some concerns Aug 18, 2003

1)Agencies with no expert on a translated language should be the party to be blamed, esp. when sample translation provided.
2)Translators may be set up in such case

Yongmei Liu
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
谢谢回应 Aug 19, 2003

TextLingua wrote:

1)Agencies with no expert on a translated language should be the party to be blamed, esp. when sample translation provided.
2)Translators may be set up in such case

翻译错误有能力问题,还有认真与不认真的问题。上面的例子中字数很少(大概一二千字),重大的错误却这么多,翻译-校稿-翻译公司实在太不负责!

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
A Risky Practice: One Person Serves as both Translator and Proofreader Aug 19, 2003

Yongmei,

Thank you for another eye-opener! Those lousy translators watch out, our Chinese Sherlock Holmes is in action!

I think it might be possible to recall the poor translation, but NOT the translator who did the job.

The worsest thing to do is to make one translator play two roles: Translator and proofreader. Both this example and the previous article you cited from a Chinese News website revealed how poor the quality control procedure is in translati
... See more
Yongmei,

Thank you for another eye-opener! Those lousy translators watch out, our Chinese Sherlock Holmes is in action!

I think it might be possible to recall the poor translation, but NOT the translator who did the job.

The worsest thing to do is to make one translator play two roles: Translator and proofreader. Both this example and the previous article you cited from a Chinese News website revealed how poor the quality control procedure is in translation business. As I mentioned before, many project coordinators in the translation agencies in America do NOT know Chinese or have Chinese linguists available to proofread their Chinese translations. Another reason for that is because the bids often went so low and they simply cannot afford to hire another Chinese linguist to do the proofreading job. The consequence of cutting corner in proofreading is shown well in the two translations you brought to us here and in your previous posting. I think such mistakes can easily be caught or prevented by hiring a second translator to proofread such translation.Unfortunately, one translator is often expected to do the translation job as well as the proofreading job. Then, such translation is treated as the final work of the translation agency. Who can you really blame here?

I finally made my clients understood my point and that's why they have been not bypassing me in the past years, because they know I won't let anything out until it passed my quality control standards.

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-08-20 00:23]
Collapse

Yongmei Liu
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
One can only guess what went wrong in this instant case Aug 19, 2003

But I am sure the State paid high dollars for the translation.

In my experience, for critical translations like this one, the State will pay 25 - 30 cents per word to the primary contractor.

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
That's real surprise! Aug 20, 2003

Such translation you posted is surely underlevel.
Yongmei Liu wrote:

But I am sure the State paid high dollars for the translation.

In my experience, for critical translations like this one, the State will pay 25 - 30 cents per word to the primary contractor.

Yongmei Liu
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
那个价钱几经转手, Aug 21, 2003

到我们这样的自由职业者手里就没多少了。:-)

[quote]TextLingua wrote:

Such translation you posted is surely underlevel.
quote]

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
so how many layers you can expect! Aug 21, 2003

That's the question I expected answers under a thread I posted.
Yongmei, you can view my expected rates in my proz.com page, but that's
negotiable, I think I'm the kind above average in China's market.
If you can find such kind of quality as you posted to pay a translator,
I'm interested in knowing how much they would pay for such translation,
$10 or $15 per thousand source? I'm full-time translator who makes a
living from the experience I accumulated by swe
... See more
That's the question I expected answers under a thread I posted.
Yongmei, you can view my expected rates in my proz.com page, but that's
negotiable, I think I'm the kind above average in China's market.
If you can find such kind of quality as you posted to pay a translator,
I'm interested in knowing how much they would pay for such translation,
$10 or $15 per thousand source? I'm full-time translator who makes a
living from the experience I accumulated by sweating my brows. And there
are a lot same translators out.
Poor quality must be judged and punished. I'm happy to know someone propose
translators' union or alliance. If there is an agencies union or alliance
there, such alliance or union will serve good for the industry, do you
think so? It's a win-win game, if one side dies, the other side must take
care of the game itself.
As a full-time freelancer, I welcome both unions so that I can have price reference, and quality obligation. Someone may have better idea.

[Edited at 2003-08-21 05:43]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recall the translator!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »