Portugal
Local time: 06:37
Danish to English
+ ...
Reported on Friday Dec 12, 2023

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:
Reported to mods
Hopefully they'll close the thread now.

I reported the attacks already on Friday. Let's see if you can wake them up.

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:
I apologise for my rude and inappropriate use of the word "bollocks" upthread, but I still believe that I made a valid point.

Apology accepted. I was also called a racist by someone else, who did not apologise. I did not start these attacks, but I react. I'm not a punching ball for people's own frustrations. The witch hunt to which I have been exposed is totally unreasonable.

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:
Cultural prejudice is sometimes insidious and subtle and should in my opinion be challenged far more often, especially on this forum.

Then challenge it when it is expressed and not when it isn't and only exists in your own head, and you choose to project your own bias on me. It wasn't I who suggested giving the agency a fake excuse.

And don't go around playing thought police, telling others what they can and cannot say, as long as they don't stray from the forum rules. I don't require your approval for what I say.

If someone reads something and thinks it may be unacceptable, they can ask for clarification, which I gave. Countless times, pointing out that no generalisation or similar is written and nor was any intended. Normal civilised behaviour is to then stop, not start a bullying campaign.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Baseless remarks Dec 12, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:
I don't have any more time to deal with your apathetic Nordic entitlement.

I think you should become a fiction writer because this is pure fantasy. I have not said a word that could reasonably lead to such a conclusion. It seems, as Chris said, that you yourself are stereotyping Nordic people, and without having the slightest understanding of their culture.

Metin Demirel wrote:
Obviously you have never been at the receiving end of racism.

Do you expect me to feel guilty about that, as if it is somehow my fault if people unrelated to me sometimes behave in a racist way? This is totally unrelated to anything here.

Metin Demirel wrote:
I don't know about you, but I respect people.

I do the same until they start misbehaving like we have seen here, making groundless accusations and insisting after I have explained several times what was meant. Then I have only contempt for such people.

Metin Demirel wrote:
Enjoy your stereotypes, racism and even profanity if you like.

I have not stated any stereotypes. I have not said anything racist. You are hallucinating. I have not written a single word of profanity either. Try to look up the word in a dictionary. I was called a racist, but attacks on me don't seem to bother you, only my legitimate defence. How do you expect to find common ground if you just do like the rest of the mob and accuse me of something I didn't write.

P.L.F. Persio
Lieven Malaise

Claire Titchmarsh
Claire Titchmarsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:37
Member (2013)
Italian to English
+ ...
give it up mate Dec 12, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:
Reported to mods
Hopefully they'll close the thread now.

"Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users, will be removed without regard to the views expressed" [except when the mods cannot be bothered to read their mod emails].

"And don't go around playing thought police, telling others what they can and cannot say, as long as they don't stray from the forum rules. I don't require your approval for what I say.

If someone reads something and thinks it may be unacceptable, they can ask for clarification, which I gave. Countless times, pointing out that no generalisation or similar is written and nor was any intended. Normal civilised behaviour is to then stop, not start a bullying campaign.

I'll be sure to look out for similar nuggets of behavioural wisdom in your future posts.

You lost an argument. It happens. I hope Santa brings you a 145,000-word incredibly well-paid and interesting but above all incredibly time-consuming project for Christmas, starting at 17:45 CET, bye.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
White lies Dec 12, 2023

I adore white lies, they are some of the best things in the world.

“We will contact you if a future opportunity arise.”
“It’s not you, it’s me.”
“You don’t look fat in that dress.”
“This restaurant serves great food.”
“Content of all commercials.”

Straightforwardness is not the main, and sometimes not at all, ingredient of an efficient and successful communication. There is so much more than it to achieve good com
... See more
I adore white lies, they are some of the best things in the world.

“We will contact you if a future opportunity arise.”
“It’s not you, it’s me.”
“You don’t look fat in that dress.”
“This restaurant serves great food.”
“Content of all commercials.”

Straightforwardness is not the main, and sometimes not at all, ingredient of an efficient and successful communication. There is so much more than it to achieve good communication and avoid communication noise. Ah yes, just throw all the trash into my face and you are a good communicator, it doesn’t work that way.

Some people even demonstrated poor and inefficient communication on this topic by writing novels over a minor thing.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No Dec 12, 2023

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

give it up mate

You lost an argument.

Oh, sure, you were appointed police and judge to decide who is right and wrong here, with moral superiority simply based on your own emotions. Don't let facts get in the way. Just attack people you don't like. Doesn't matter what they said. You can just make it up.

I will stop when the attacks stop.

P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Where are you, moderators? Dec 12, 2023

I think a lot could have been avoided here, if the moderators had intervened earlier.
In another thread I have already asked the staff to solve technical problems with the site once and for all, and colleagues to try to make the atmosphere more pleasant, more tolerant, more useful for all of us.
Harsh words exchanged between colleagues it's something that doesn't fit in a professional community, as well as giving a different justification to a client without elaborating it further wh
... See more
I think a lot could have been avoided here, if the moderators had intervened earlier.
In another thread I have already asked the staff to solve technical problems with the site once and for all, and colleagues to try to make the atmosphere more pleasant, more tolerant, more useful for all of us.
Harsh words exchanged between colleagues it's something that doesn't fit in a professional community, as well as giving a different justification to a client without elaborating it further when there wasn't any reason to do so, while truth, honesty, transparency and professionalism are some of the main values of any profession... They are at least for me.
I feel sorry for the PO who, although she received good advice and made the only sensible decision, was exposed to this "public arena" (for want of a better one, apologies to all the colleagues for the choice of this term).
I'm sure that if this heated debate had taken place in person, this wouldn't happen.
Where are the moderators when we need them most?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
MollyRose
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
“Only the one that inflicts the pain can take it away” Dec 12, 2023

Monica, where are you? Come back! Now is when we need some more of your advice the most!

expressisverbis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Sad Dec 12, 2023

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:
You lost an argument. It happens.

On a good functioning forum you would have been banned several posts ago. Kind of sad, really.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Dec 12, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:
And you're accusing me of not understanding plain English. I would not be a snowflake even if I was an Italian and I had been offended by your statement. I don't have any more time to deal with your apathetic Nordic entitlement. Obviously you have never been at the receiving end of racism. I don't know about you, but I respect people. It was my mistake to expect finding a common ground with you in a time when even the leaders of political parties racing for power can comfortably make blatantly racist statements. This forum is becoming no different than Twitter or Reddit. Enjoy your stereotypes, racism and even profanity if you like. Goodbye.

Isn’t “your apathetic Nordic entitlement” way more “racist” than anything Thomas has been accused of?

It definitely is. What a sad state of affairs.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Vera Schoen

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Xitter Dec 12, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:
This forum is becoming no different than Twitter

I'm sorry, but this forum relates to Xitter as a blade of grass to an abundant and colourful bouquet of flowers (apart from today, that is ). And then you should know that Xitter has become only half as interesting as it once was.

P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Monica Dec 12, 2023

Maria G. Grassi, M.A. wrote:

Monica, where are you? Come back! Now is when we need some more of your advice the most!

I think Monica didn't get the credit she deserves. It is my instinct to be transparent and direct, but as it has been demonstrated in abundance here, transparency is not always appreciated. Sometimes a convenient excuse, a white lie, may defuse a situation and avoid the sort of Armageddon that has been demonstrated here by some who cannot tolerate that everybody does not follow their 'moral' codes of expression.

Cultures too don't get the credit they deserve. Cultures are ways developed by people in different regions for how to do things, how to interact, what to expect, how to express things, etc. Cultures ensure that daily business and routines can be carried out without constant quarrels. Cultures vary from place to place. Some places may expect brutal transparency while others use a more 'diplomatic' model where white lies may be the oil that keeps the wheels turning in difficult situations.

Cultures obviously do not mean that everybody is identical but rather that they use unwritten codes for how to interact. Cultures also evolve, sometimes adopting elements from other cultures.

Cultures may clash because expectations can be different. There is nothing strange about that. It doesn't mean that one culture is better than the other, only that they are different. They each work in their own way and may not be completely compatible. One may prefer one or the other, but that doesn't make one a racist, nationalist, xenophobe or whatever one may be called.

But no, according to some contemporary code of conduct dreamt up by people who don't understand much about human nature, we have to pretend that all cultures are the same when quite obviously they are not.

So maybe transparency works better in the Nordic countries, which apparently makes me entitled.
And maybe diplomacy/a white lie works better in Italy. As I said, I don't know. But apparently that makes me a racist.

It's really sad when people who think only they hold the key to moral righteousness based on the latest fad feel entitled to bully and harass anyone with a different opinion. When one analyses their claims, one will often find that they themselves are guilty of the facts of which they accuse others.

As they say in France, c’est toi qui le dis, c’est toi qui l’es.

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
MollyRose
Vera Schoen

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Chatty Dec 12, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Or as we say in Britain: He who smelt it, dealt it.

Why hasn’t anyone asked ChatGPT what it thinks yet?

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
tabor

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2023

[Edited at 2023-12-12 19:15 GMT]

Juno Bos
Juno Bos  Identity Verified
Zambia
Member (2011)
German to Dutch
+ ...
On the original post or the whole other discussion? Dec 12, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Or as we say in Britain: He who smelt it, dealt it.

Why hasn’t anyone asked ChatGPT what it thinks yet?

Happy to give it a go for the sake of it.

And there it is:

It's completely understandable to feel out of your depth when faced with content that falls far outside your usual expertise. Taking on a translation that doesn't align with your skills can indeed result in lower quality work and added stress.
In this situation, it might be best to communicate with the agency honestly and professionally. Explain that the content is significantly different from what you anticipated, and while you've put effort into it, you fear that your lack of familiarity with the subject matter might compromise the quality and accuracy of the translation.
Express your willingness to assist in finding a replacement or providing any support during the transition. Offering a partial payment for the work completed so far can also demonstrate your commitment to professionalism.
Remember, being transparent about your limitations is not a failure but a responsible decision to ensure quality outcomes for both parties involved. Agencies often appreciate honesty as it helps them allocate appropriate resources and find suitable alternatives.
It's also a good idea to reassess future projects with this agency to ensure they align more closely with your expertise to prevent similar situations in the future.

[Edited at 2023-12-12 19:52 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
MollyRose

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 23:37
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Record Dec 12, 2023

This must be a record! 131 replies so far for this post.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How bad is declining job after accepting it

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »