Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Global agency milking us while it still can?
Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:38
Danish to English
+ ...
Doesn't make sense Aug 2, 2023

Magnus Rubensson wrote:

If the contract is with a person rather than with your company, then I would argue that the retailer in question is an employer. As an employer, they should be paying employer taxes plus insurance, pension contributions etc.

Many freelancers operate in their own name. That doesn't make their clients employers.

Besides, if this retailer wanted to avoid employment taxes, why would they force the employee of my company to enter into a contractual relationship with them instead of contracting with my company?

Doesn't make any sense.

They're incompetent and clueless. Don't give a damn. That's all. They don't 'waste' their good jurists on lowly translators. The good ones are needed for international tax optimisation and important stuff like that. We can take their contractual mess or leave it. They don't care. We don't matter. They want suppliers who don’t care whatever conditions are offered.

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Magnus Aug 2, 2023

Magnus Rubensson wrote:
If the contract is with a person rather than with your company, then I would argue that the retailer in question is an employer.

Whether a person is an employer/employee depends not on the number of people involved but on the actual nature of the contract between them. If someone has a contract with you personally that defines a work relationship between the two of you, but it is not an employment contract, then it doesn't make them an employer nor does it make you an employee.

In addition, if the country that you're in accepts "sole proprietor" as a valid business form, then you being a single person doesn't change the fact that you are a business.

[Edited at 2023-08-02 15:13 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not always Aug 2, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
.If someone has a contract with you personally that defines a work relationship between the two of you, but it is not an employment contract, then it doesn't make them an employer nor does it make you an employee.

It does in the UK if you don’t have any other customers…

Magnus Rubensson
Magnus Rubensson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thank you for your input Aug 3, 2023

A retailer that spans a large part of the globe is hardly "incompetent and clueless".
If they were incompetent, they would not be in the position they are...

But I digress. I shall now revert to minding my own business.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
With respect to the matter I referred to Aug 3, 2023

Magnus Rubensson wrote:

A retailer that spans a large part of the globe is hardly "incompetent and clueless".
If they were incompetent, they would not be in the position they are...

They clearly are incompetent and clueless with respect to the matter I referred to. They can be in certain customer situations too. What sometimes happens with huge successful companies is that a smart person has a brilliant idea and manages to build up their dream with the right people, but after some years, with many thousands of employees, the philosophy of excellence and focusing on the customer no longer filters down through the countless layers of management to the bottom employees. It can also happen that inept managers reward conformity rather than independent thought and awareness of problems. In such a situation, employees serve their own interests best by shutting up and conforming even if they know things are not right. Sooner or later, the smartest ones will leave such an ambiance and find more rewarding and motivating work, leaving the company with the least capable employees. Complacency is contagious once it begins. IBM almost went bust close to the end of the last century. When a company begins to rest on its laurels, it may well be the beginning of the end. Many things can go wrong with multinationals.

Lingua 5B
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Special case Aug 3, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
.If someone has a contract with you personally that defines a work relationship between the two of you, but it is not an employment contract, then it doesn't make them an employer nor does it make you an employee.

It does in the UK if you don’t have any other customers…

And in France and the US and probably other places, but disguised employment is a special case we are not talking about here.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back on topic Aug 3, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
And in France and the US and probably other places, but disguised employment is a special case we are not talking about here.

I thought that was exactly what was being talked about, but yes we were supposed to be talking about a big agency panicking about AI/MT and deciding to take the last pound of flesh from their translators rather than market their "community" as a superior option.

Luckily I don't depend on their custom, but many do.

Magnus Rubensson

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Not me Aug 6, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

disguised employment is a special case we are not talking about here.

I thought that was exactly what was being talked about, .

Just to clarify, any work for the retailer I referred to would have been contracting as for any other client. There was never any question of employment, disguised or not. It would simply have been a direct client.

As for AI/MT discounts, I would only grant them if a significant time saving was to be expected, but this is often not the case. The absurd thing is that it is sometimes corporations raking in billions of dollars a year that are begging for a 10% MT discount (via an agency) while expecting top quality.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Global agency milking us while it still can?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »