Thread poster: Ibrahim Nassef (X)
Ibrahim Nassef (X)
Ibrahim Nassef (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 4, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I need some help with a MS Word 2003 related problem. How can I insert English text within an Arabic document while typing? I tried switching to English, but when I start typing the Latin letters it jumps somewhere else in the text. Is there a certain command to prevent that from happening?

The other question is: How to switch between the Arabic and the Latin numbers?

Thank you very much for your time.
Ibrahim

Nisreen Barakat
Nisreen Barakat  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 23:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
Align right Nov 5, 2007

Hello Ibrahim,

Infact when you start typing in Arabic, you have to choose the right flesh that indicates that the direction of writing will be from right to left (Align right).
You start typing in Arabic then when you want to write a word in English, you just switch the language bar from Arabic into English, write the word then change the language again from English into Arabic and start typing directly and normally the words should follow coherently without any problems.
... See more
Hello Ibrahim,

Infact when you start typing in Arabic, you have to choose the right flesh that indicates that the direction of writing will be from right to left (Align right).
You start typing in Arabic then when you want to write a word in English, you just switch the language bar from Arabic into English, write the word then change the language again from English into Arabic and start typing directly and normally the words should follow coherently without any problems.

As to the numbers, it depends on your installation, some winword installs arabic numbers and some maintain the latin numbers.
But anyways those are not arabic numbers but indian ones.. So it's better if you just keep the latin numbers when typing in Arabic.

Hope this would help

Best of luck
Collapse

Fathy Shehatto
Fathy Shehatto  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
RT Alt + Shift / Lt Alt Shift Nov 5, 2007

How are you Ibrahim and Nisreen ?

Exactly, I agree with Nisreen. suppose you are typing Arabic letters in the direction Rt > Lt. and you need to insert a word in Latin letters, what you will do " Just shift your language mode form Arabic > English by pressing "Lt Alt Shift". You can restore your previous mode "Arabic mode" by pressing " Rt Alt + Shift " again.

This is the default setting, If this way doesn't work, I think you may need to reconfigure your languag
... See more
How are you Ibrahim and Nisreen ?

Exactly, I agree with Nisreen. suppose you are typing Arabic letters in the direction Rt > Lt. and you need to insert a word in Latin letters, what you will do " Just shift your language mode form Arabic > English by pressing "Lt Alt Shift". You can restore your previous mode "Arabic mode" by pressing " Rt Alt + Shift " again.

This is the default setting, If this way doesn't work, I think you may need to reconfigure your language settings.
Collapse

Ibrahim Nassef (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
شكرا لنسرين وفتحي Nov 5, 2007

إلي الزملاء الأعزاء

لكم مني جزيل الشكر، فقد تمكنت أخيرا من حل المشكلة بفضل مساعدتكم القيمة. مشكلتي تتلخص في أنني -بالرغم من خبرة تمتد لأكثر من عشرين عاما في الترجمة- ابتعدت عن الترجمة لما يزيد علي الإثني عشر عاما لمزاولة أنشطة أخري. أي أنني أنتمي إلي جيل ماقبل الإنترنت من ديناصورات الترجمة.

ابراهيم

German to French
+ ...
Looking for a Typing software Nov 8, 2007

Hello everyone,

I don't know if my question here is in the right place, but I do hope you could help me.
I have been looking for a software to learn touch typing in Arabic (called "blind typing" in German) to run under a german windows system, but couldn't find any.

Do you know of any software I can get hold of?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
changing numbers Nov 8, 2007

Ibrahim
if you wish to change numbers in word 2003
click on tools > options
then select the complex languages tab
on this tab you should see numerals then the drop down box has 4 options
Arabic (those used in the west and north africa)
Hindi (those used by most of the arab world)
context
system

the best one to select is context then when typing in arabic script you get the hindi numerals and when typing in english the arabic numerals

Mohsin Alabdali
Mohsin Alabdali  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
لست وحدك الديناصور Nov 10, 2007

[quote]Ibrahim Nassef wrote:

أي أنني أنتمي إلي جيل ماقبل الإنترنت من ديناصورات الترجمة.

لست وحدك من ديناصورات الترجمة، فقد بدأت "هواية" الترجمة منذ كنت في السنة الثانية الثانوي في عام مقتل جون كندي (1963).

أي أنني ديناصورا أيضا.

ولكنني أزعم لنفسي أنني بالرغم من قدمي كمترجم إلا أنني معاصر للإنترنت واستخدام الكمبيوتر الشخصي.

ما رأيك لو نبدأ موضوعا لدينتاصورات الترجمة لتبادل الخيرات؟

المشكلة من هو ديناصور الترجمة؟

أرى أن من قضى ربع قرن في المجال يحق له أن يشارك كديناصور.

Ibrahim Nassef (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
منتدي الديناصورات Nov 12, 2007

إلي الأخ الكريم محسن

مشاركتك الوجدانية أثلجت صدري. شيئ جميل أن تعرف إنك لست وحدك فيما تعانيه. موضوع ديناصورات الترجمة فكرة صائبة في محاولة لإنقاذ هذا النوع من الكائنات من الإنقراض:). إلا أنني أري أن فترة الربع قرن طويلة نسبية وقد تؤدي الي قصر الموضوع علي حفنة ديناصورات! ويمكننا إذا أردت أن نتفق علي التفاصيل من خلال الإيميل ،لأنني أجد صعوبة كبيرة في الكتابة من هذا المنبر. وىمكنك الحصول علي عنوان الإيميل الخاص بي من البروفايل.

إبراهيم

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Arabic wordprocessing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »