How do I import an Excel-based glossary in Catalyst Lite 9.0 ?
Thread poster: Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
English to French
Sep 28, 2013

I have a fairly large glossary (1090 entries) in Excel (4 columns: English/French/Content/Notes). I looked through the catalyst lite menus and cannot find where a file can be imported to add a glossary. Is it possible, and how?

If it's not possible for me, can someone tell me how to do it in paying versions of Catalyst, I could pass the instructions to my client!

Thank you!

Thomas

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
English to French
+ ...
Download a Trial Version Sep 28, 2013

Hi Thomas,

As mentioned above, download a trial version of Catalyst 9.0, the options are txt, tbx and tmx for glossaries, so you may have to convert your Excel file to suit one of these formats - txt should do the trick.

HTH,

Bernard

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2013

Yep, I saved as txt tab-delimited. The thing I had trouble to find was the little "add" icon in the gloary source panel. So for future reference if others look for this too:
- look at the bottom right panel where your glossary words appear
- click the "source tab" at the top of this panel
- look for 2 small icons: remove, an X, and add, a "+"
- click on the add icon then click on the "..." to browse for your tab-delimited file.

Again, thank you!

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 21:11
English to Russian
do not forget: TXT glossary file must have UTF-8 encoding for Catalyst 10 Apr 7, 2015

Was doing this today. ANSI encoding did not work.

TXT glossary file must have UTF-8 encoding for Catalyst 10

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How do I import an Excel-based glossary in Catalyst Lite 9.0 ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »