Problems opening docx file generated by Trados Studio 2015
Thread poster: Therese Kossarelos
Apr 19, 2021

I have a problem with a project I am doing in Trados Studio 2015. I got two source files in docx format from the customer. The files contain normal text, pictures, table of contents, headers, footers and some logos. I created a project without problem and translated the files. When I then choose Save to target and try to open the generated docx file I cannot open it. It says (in Swedish: Det gick inte att öppna filen. Försök med något av följande. Kontrollera behörigheterna för dokumentet... See more
I have a problem with a project I am doing in Trados Studio 2015. I got two source files in docx format from the customer. The files contain normal text, pictures, table of contents, headers, footers and some logos. I created a project without problem and translated the files. When I then choose Save to target and try to open the generated docx file I cannot open it. It says (in Swedish: Det gick inte att öppna filen. Försök med något av följande. Kontrollera behörigheterna för dokumentet eller enheten. KOntrollera att det finns tillräckligt med ledigt minne och diskutrymme. Öppna filen med återställningsverktyget) that the file cannot be opened.

I have tried to open and repair the original source document, create a new project in Trados and then pretranslate it towards the TM. It works fine but when I choose Save target as I still cannot open it.

I have also tried to open the translated file with WPS Office. It works and then I can save the file as docx and it works and I can open it, however the table of contents and some logos are not present in the file so it is not complete. Can anyone help me? Does it maybe have to do with the table of contents? If yes, how can I fix that?

Therese
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:06
Polish to English
+ ...
Several reasons for such behavior may exist Apr 22, 2021

..., e.g. the file content is too complicated for Trados, or bugs, or nobody-knows-what. To solve the issue, I'd try several ways, one at a time or in any combination:

1. Rewrite the original file format from DOCX to DOC (in Word) or ODT (in OpenOffice - if Trados is able to process ODT, I don't remember at the moment). You can change the format back to DOCX after the translation.

2. Delete the visual content (logos, illustrations) - you can paste them to the target fil
... See more
..., e.g. the file content is too complicated for Trados, or bugs, or nobody-knows-what. To solve the issue, I'd try several ways, one at a time or in any combination:

1. Rewrite the original file format from DOCX to DOC (in Word) or ODT (in OpenOffice - if Trados is able to process ODT, I don't remember at the moment). You can change the format back to DOCX after the translation.

2. Delete the visual content (logos, illustrations) - you can paste them to the target file.

3. Delete the tables - you can translate them separately and paste to the target file.

4. Add a single sign (character, figure, question mark, etc.) to the text (for instance in the end, to find it easily). You can delete that sign from the target file.

The general rule is: the less complicated the file, the easier job for the translation software - even with the latest versions.

HTH
Collapse

Therese Kossarelos
Therese Kossarelos
Greece
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved by changing the priority order for file formats in Trados Settings Apr 23, 2021

Thank you for your suggestions Andrzej. For these files, it would have been very tiresome to fix the tables etc. afterwards, as the files were very big and full of tables, pictures and bulleted list etc. In the end, I solved the problem by changing the priority order for the file formats in Trados Settings. I changed so that it prioritized the older version of docx., created a new project, pretranslated the files against the TM and choose Save Target As. For the problematic file, this solved the... See more
Thank you for your suggestions Andrzej. For these files, it would have been very tiresome to fix the tables etc. afterwards, as the files were very big and full of tables, pictures and bulleted list etc. In the end, I solved the problem by changing the priority order for the file formats in Trados Settings. I changed so that it prioritized the older version of docx., created a new project, pretranslated the files against the TM and choose Save Target As. For the problematic file, this solved the problem. For the file that didn't present any problems in the first place, this was suddenly impossible to open, so for that one, I had to choose Open with WPS Office, save the file as docx. and then fix it a bit as some tables and table of contents had't been exported correctly.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems opening docx file generated by Trados Studio 2015

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »